Bilge Pump Debris Protection

fishrdan

Admiral
I'm need to figure out a good way to keep debris out of my bilge pumps. The tree in my back yard sheds small seeds that find their way into my boat and then wash down into the bilge. These seeds are the perfect size to jam in the bilge pump's impeller, as I have seen before at the most inopportune time.

One idea was putting the pump into a women's nylon stocking, but I think it will reduce flow. Also thought of using a swamp cooler pump "basket" to filter the water,

h8365007.gif

but stuff could get over the top of the basket.

What do you guys use?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bilge Pump Debris Protection

put a cover on the boat when stored.

45Auto

Commander

How about getting some aluminum mesh from Mcmaster-Carr with an opening width slightly smaller than the seeds. Wrap it around the bilge pump with some nylon cable ties.

WC.jpg

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

12 x 20 blue tarp - $15.00....10 bungie cords - $ 12.00..Results = priceless

salty87

Commander

agree with the cover but i've seen some rather rednecked buddies use window screen wrapped around the pump.

mthieme

Captain

agree with the cover but i've seen some rather rednecked buddies use window screen wrapped around the pump.

Ditto - beat me to the punch.
By the way, I resemble that remark!:)

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Down here we can get brass/bronze window screens for salty environments. You can also get a plastic or fiberglass screen material, but don't know how well it would hold up with pretty much constant contact with water.

You may want to build a little cage around the pump so that it takes more material to clog the pump. Make sure you pump can run dry, if not the screen is going to eventually block the flow and you are going to ruin your pump unless the screen is monitored for buildup

fishrdan

Admiral

The boat is covered 99% of the time while parked, but there are times when the boat can't be covered, working on it, loading, drying out after being soaked, etc. .. this is when the seeds blow into the boat.

Thought of the window screen too, guess it will work if I can't find something that will work better.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

I glue a round closed cell outer pre-filter to the bilge floor. The type used over a paper filter on a shop-vac or riding mower to keep the large debris out.

woosterken

Lieutenant

how about a chain saw? cut down the tree!
problem solved!!

woosterken