Winterizing with pink RV antifreeze. How good is it?

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer
Well, winter came up on me kind unexpected.( Golly, who knew it would happen ever year. ) So I went out the other day before the first time it got down to 20 degrees and I drew/sucked pink RV antifreeze through my 1973 mercruiser 140.

This is my second year of owning a boat. Last year I was very methodical about winterizing. I drew pink antifreeze from the bottom, then dumped green antifreeze in from the top, then pulled the hoses and drain plugs. I did this early on in the season.

This year I got busy and waited. After all , Indian summer often comes and I thought I might a chance to take her out again.

I've heard that the pink antifreeze will get slushy and still could have the potential to crack the engine.

My question is: How long can I wait, how cold can it get, before I need to dump green in from the top and pull the drain plugs?

After all , I might be able to take her out again! Can I wait for December to dump in green and pull the drain plugs? How about the lower end oil. I really doubt if there is any water in there. Can I wait a few more weeks before I drain and replace it?

Sorry, if this is confusing. I'm not a very good typist/writer.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Winterizing with pink RV antifreeze. How good is it?

Air can't freeze.

Just drain it and leave it dry. I usually drain all the water then just dump the pink stuff in for a little extra assurance.

I think you are making it harder than you really need to.

MERIT6419

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know you are not suppose to use the green stuff at all if you forget to take it out and get to the lake here it a a really steep fee thousands just use the pink stuff. and as far as air does not freeze that is crap you could pull all the drain plugs and let everything out and I would bet paycheck there is still water in there that can feeze and enough to crack the block. I learned that the hard way and hey it is ok to make alot out of this I think that not winterizing a boat is one of the most expensive mistakes boaters make it is also the least expensive maintence to do.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

We use the pink stuff to winterize the drains in the fishing lodge I work for north of the arctic circle. Drain the block and pour some pink stuff in and you'll be fine. If it works at -70F in the arctic it will work where ever you are. ;)

As for the lower unit, pull the bottom plug and let a bit run out and replace the plug. If the oil is grey/whiteish you have water in there. Replace the oil now if this is the case or you will likely crack the LU. If it is brown/black/dark grey no water and you can wait.

Paul Bud

Recruit
Winterizing questions

Winterizing questions

I just bought my first cabin cruiser and for days I have been reading and learning about the many different systems in the boat, a Bayliner 2455. Previous owner kept antifreeze in the fresh water tank becuase he never used it. Is it safe to flush this tank with freah water, doing this severl time in hopes of ridding the tank of the toxic antifreeze, then use it on a cruise on a nearby lake.

Its been a few years since anyone posted to this thread, so, this message may go without notice by anyone who is knowledgeable about cabin cruisers.

If someone reads this, what is a safe antifreeze to use in the fresh water systems onboard?

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
Re: Winterizing questions

I just bought my first cabin cruiser and for days I have been reading and learning about the many different systems in the boat, a Bayliner 2455. Previous owner kept antifreeze in the fresh water tank becuase he never used it. Is it safe to flush this tank with freah water, doing this severl time in hopes of ridding the tank of the toxic antifreeze, then use it on a cruise on a nearby lake.

Its been a few years since anyone posted to this thread, so, this message may go without notice by anyone who is knowledgeable about cabin cruisers.

If someone reads this, what is a safe antifreeze to use in the fresh water systems onboard?

the same pink rv anti-freeze you use in a rv

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

As far as I know it works just fine. Going to be using it in the trailer shortly. Have always used it at the cottage with no issues. Gets pretty cold up there too !!!:eek:

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The pink RV antifreeze is what you want. We've used it for years in our motorhome and summer home on Cape Cod. It is non-toxic and made for potable water systems. Just take a look on the label and you will see that it says it is non-toxic. It's good down to at lest -45 or so. I've never had an issue even during the worst of New England winters.

Brewman61

Ensign

If it gets cold enough, the pink stuff will slush but it won't expand. Expansion is what damages things.

Paul Bud

Recruit

Well, I learned something here, "the pink antifreeze is safe and made for RV's". Thanks for the help.

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FYI, if you don't care about the environment (face it, some don't), then you can use the green stuff. You can even reuse it providing you check its strength with the appropriate instruments.

Bondo

Staff member

and as far as air does not freeze that is crap you could pull all the drain plugs and let everything out and I would bet paycheck there is still water in there that can feeze and enough to crack the block.

Ayuh,... Now That's Bullship... I'll take yer Paycheck...

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Six drain plugs out, lower hose off. No water left, no freezing, no worries.

j_martin

Admiral

Well, I learned something here, "the pink antifreeze is safe and made for RV's". Thanks for the help.

Be aware, I have seen pink ethylene glycol anti-freeze. In fact, a friend of mine lost his kidneys because the handyman that winterized his cabin thought that all pink anti-freeze was safe.

RV anti-freeze, and some automotive anti-freeze is based on propylene glycol, which is low enough in toxicity to be on the GRAS list. (Generally recognized as safe.) It is used in food. It is the reason home made ice cream is rock hard at freezer temps, and commercial ice cream is scoopable. It can be used as a nutrient. In cattle with digestive system trouble, it is used by the quart to keep blood sugar up and ketosis down without further compromising the digestive system with glucose. Getting Bessy to swallow the stuff is the hard part. (been there, done that.) (Warning, use medical grade propylene glycol for this, not RV anti-freeze.)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The pink RV stuff still needs to be completely flushed out of any drinking water system. It may not kill you but it sure tastes nasty!

When i flush my RV in the Spring the water will look milky for the first 50 gallons or so until all the antifreeze is out of the system.

It may say non-toxic but i'm sure not trying it...;)

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It may say non-toxic but i'm sure not trying it...;)[/QUOTE said:
Right! Didn't doctors promote smoking in the 50's? Ah, the things we learn in time.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is going to be my first time winterizing my boat. I took the time to read all the steps and was ready to go. I purchased 3x 3.98 liter Polar plumbing antifreeze pink stuff from Canadian tire. Pumped my engine with it. Few days later I was taking the empty jugs to the garbage and realize it states for plastic pipes only. Had to make another trip to canadian tire and purchased -50 Polar plumbing antifreeze. On front side label it states that its ideal for RV, Boats, Pools, & cottages. For use with plastic or metal pipes, contains corrision inhibitors & non toxic.

On the back side it says.....
Freezing of the product is normal and will not damage equipment. This product is not designed as a heat transfer fluid for closed loop systems or as antifreeze for internal combusion engines.

So does this mean that not recomended for on road vehicles and safe to use for my boat?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...ze%2B-50%2Bdeg.%252C%2B9.46%2BL.jsp?locale=en

do not run it in anything as a coolant is all to winterize is fine just drain it before use best of luck to ya

DaNinja

Lieutenant

do not run it in anything as a coolant is all to winterize is fine just drain it before use best of luck to ya
Yep, the Starcraft is full of the pink stuff. I wouldn't use it as a coolant in my truck's radiator, though.

Low-Tox works well also, if you prefer green.