Watched neighbors boat sink at dock last night

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Watched neighbors boat sink at dock last night

It appears to me that you are all a little judgemental. None of you have any idea what that owner has going on in his (or her) life. Could have cancer, or have had a heart attack or whatever. On the other hand, Robert, you WATCHED someones boat sink without doing a thing to stop it. If you just watched it actually sink without doing a thing, in my opinion, that ranks right up there with watching someones house burn.

Just my opinion,
TerryMSU

Just a consideration ,
would you consider your opinion to be judgemental also?

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

It appears to me that you are all a little judgemental. None of you have any idea what that owner has going on in his (or her) life. Could have cancer, or have had a heart attack or whatever. On the other hand, Robert, you WATCHED someones boat sink without doing a thing to stop it. If you just watched it actually sink without doing a thing, in my opinion, that ranks right up there with watching someones house burn.

Just my opinion,
TerryMSU

Please try reading the original post before you pass judgement here yourself I said when i got back there was already the police and everyone there. The helping the boat not sink ship had sailed. I dont think Sea Tow wanted me jumping in the water getting in their way

Some people...................................................................... sorry for sharing

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

also to put it in perspective if someones house was burning and the fire dept and police were already there putting it out when i frst saw it i dont think i would be a jerk for not hosing it down with my garden hose

I help anyone who needs it, you also have to know where you place is and is not

Todd Peterson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What a mess. I can believe that the owner just did not care. I was on a sinking boat while duck hunting in MN and I found out that I forgot to put in the plug. When I drove fast, the water went ran out the plug hole. When I stopped, the water came in. I stuck a spent shell in the hole and shot some ducks.

jonesg

Admiral

The ducks probably stole your plug .

NYJim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In my opinion. Why doesnt the marina do a walk around once a day??? They can check on all boats in just a short while and if someones boat has an issue like this one, the owner should be notified. If the owner does not comply with the situation, then the marina should take any action nessary to keep the marina, other vessels and the environment safe. BILL THE OWNER FOR THE SERVICE>>>>> At the prices we pay for marina usage ($60 per foot) i would think they should perform this simple service....

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Please try reading the original post before you pass judgement here yourself I said when i got back there was already the police and everyone there. The helping the boat not sink ship had sailed. I dont think Sea Tow wanted me jumping in the water getting in their way

Some people...................................................................... sorry for sharing

Sorry about that. That is why I said IF you did watch (the title said that you watched it.) As far as the comment about me being judgemental... Could be I was a wee bit so. To be honest, that was why I waited quite a while before I finally posted my original comment.

TerryMSU

Expidia

Commander

You know . . . all it would take is asking someone that frequents the docks near your boat to keep an eye out for problems if you know you will be away. Most boaters would be glad to help others out. Might cost you all of a six pack as a thank you!

I too think that Marina is somewhat negligent in not keeping a closer eye on the boats. I've seen good marinas send dock hands around to check the dock lines before an impending storm.

The owner could have also called the marina and asked them to check on the boat if the owner was to be indisposed for a while.

Even the poster of this thread knew the boat was not being looked over.

Why didn't someone report an impending problem of a seemingly abandoned boat, since when it sinks or sunk . . . the oil and gas affects everyone in the marina.

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like in a lakefront community so it is not a marina but there are several hundred slips around the front of the peninsula. It is basically watched by the HOA. I am not sure what degree of "watching" they should do.

If i had a serious issue come up i would have someone pull my boat out of the water and put it somewhere. Sure there may be 1000 different reasons for this but neglect is neglect. Even if i had a heart attack or something i would ensure someone pulled my bott out of the water and threw it in storage or a garage. Maybe that is just me

Todd Peterson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Most of the time when I do get the plug in the boat, the ducks are safe. The darn 10 gauge can not shoot straight. With all of the noise I make with it, the flyway has changed from Minnesota to S. Dakota. Rats.

Nandy

Commander

A 10 GA!!!! Man, talking about firepower!!!

Robert, was this in NC? Im trying to find anything in the newspaper but couldnt.

Todd Peterson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am impressed with the number of replies to this thread. I do agree that the marina has some responsibility to keep track of the boats. Who knows, they may have contacted the owner and they still let it sink. It is hard to pass judgment at this distance. I think the story is better than the results. I travel a lot and I may not be able to get back in time to correct the situation. Appreciate the story and do not shoot the messenger.