What is really considered "low hours"

danrs

Cadet
What is considered low hours on a boat? In a vehicle, 12k miles year seems the accepted mileage, and anything much below that is typically considered "low miles". What's the equivelant for boats?

I see some 10 year old boats that have 40 hours, 70 hours, etc., and that seems like pretty low hours. Then I see others that say "low hours", and I'm calling and they're telling me 200, 250, or 300 hours.

I know this is just generalizations, but I think most people expect to begin seeing trouble in their cars at over the 100k mark. What is that threshold for boat engines? I know I'm just generalizing, heck I've got a toyota pickup with 160k on it that has never given me a lick of trouble because I care for it well (and I know the same can apply for boats) but I hope you see what I'm looking for here.

When does "low hours" become "above average" and become a bargaining chip or cause for concern? I'm looking at 8 to 12 year old boats, I/O drive mostly.

Thanks.

rndn

Commander
Re: What is really considered "low hours"

Boats and the engines are easily destroyed by owner neglect. It's easy to not remember to fog and engine while putting it away for the winter, as an example. A well taken care of outboard with 1000 hours on it could easily have an additional 1000-2000 more hours on it. A poorly maintained outboard isn't worth anything even at only 20 hours.
That said for outboards I would consider anything under 200 hours as low hours. An I/O I would consider anything under 50 hours as low hours. Just my opinion as others will vary.

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not seeing why you would consider 200 hours on an outboard low hours but only give an I/O 50. It's just a truck engine typically and if well maintained like anything else will last a long time.

I bought a 13 year old Chris Craft this spring with 89 hours on the 4.3 Volvo GS. I considered that VERY low and it runs as good as new, I have already put 22 hours on it in two months. When it has 200 hours in a few seasons I will still consider it a well maintained low hour engine

To the original poster it is all about care and maintenance. Get a compression/leak down test and if it come back good and you are convinced it is well maintained then go for it and you will be fine

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the previous owners of an outboard are more important the hours. if not maintained properly a 2 year old, with 50 hours, could be worse than a 10 year old with 300 hundred hours.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I also imagine the location tof the boat plays into this equation. A boat operating inland though the northern states will be put away for more than half of the year. Whereas a boat on coastal waters or southern lakes can be run year round accumulating alot more hours.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My experience with I/O motors has a typical 350 or 454 needing rebuilding around 1000 hrs,not a typical every-other-weekend slow going boater, i'm referring to the avid boater who's out every weekend..pulls skiers or runs 10-60 miles to fish, at that many hours the motor starts to lose its rated HP, & its generally worn out, so,given that ,broken down fractionally, a quarter of those house is good..half not so good.

rlb81

Seaman

Think about the area you live in, how many weeks a year is your boating season?

Lets say roughly 4 months (mid may to mid sept) using my area as an example, thats 16 weeks. Estimate that the "typical" boating family will use it one day a weekend for these 16 weeks, lets say 5 hours out on the water. This equates to 80 hours a year. Add in maybe a one week vacation where you take the boat to a shore house or a lake house and use it nearly every day, add another 20 hours for that, equaling 100 hours a year. Your area might have a longer or shorter season.

Sure its very speculative, you're probably not going to run the motor for the entire time you're out, and someone might use the boat more frequently than another person. However, these all seem like reasonable estimations. And like everyone else said, there are many other factors, including maintenance.

rndn

Commander

I am not seeing why you would consider 200 hours on an outboard low hours but only give an I/O 50. It's just a truck engine typically and if well maintained like anything else will last a long time.

I bought a 13 year old Chris Craft this spring with 89 hours on the 4.3 Volvo GS. I considered that VERY low and it runs as good as new, I have already put 22 hours on it in two months. When it has 200 hours in a few seasons I will still consider it a well maintained low hour engine

To the original poster it is all about care and maintenance. Get a compression/leak down test and if it come back good and you are convinced it is well maintained then go for it and you will be fine

Outbards can run for 2000-3000 hours without a rebuild, not I/O's. I/O's need a rebuild at around 1000 hours assuming everything was well maintained.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

The number in my head is about 30 hours or less per year. Don't ask me where I got that though...

KETELS

Seaman Apprentice

I have more than one friend that has over 2000 hrs on there engine. And all
is well. They are very well maintained. By the way they are both OMC's with Ford engines. Both 302's. If you take care of it, it will last.

rndn

Commander

If you read my first post, I clearly stated in my opinion, which is exactly what it was. I'm sure you will find most I/O's needing some type of motor work around the 1000 hour mark. Again, it's most not all and the most is based on boating for 20+ years and having several friends boats to get information from both I/O's and outboards.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the previous owners of an outboard are more important the hours. if not maintained properly a 2 year old, with 50 hours, could be worse than a 10 year old with 300 hundred hours.

this ^^^^^^^ is an exteremely important peice of information

The number in my head is about 30 hours or less per year. Don't ask me where I got that though...

30-40 hrs per yer, would be considered low

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ovvrdrive,

I also read somewhere that 35-40 hours per year is average. Average of course being the key word.

Neverhome

mattttt25

Commander

I would consider anything below 50 hrs/yr low. 50 per yr seems to be the average here.

Bondo

Staff member

Outbards can run for 2000-3000 hours without a rebuild, not I/O's. I/O's need a rebuild at around 1000 hours assuming everything was well maintained.

Ayuh,... I Strongly Disagree with This......

I've got Fishing Friends here on Lake Ontario, that are out there Everyday, with Well Over 4000hrs on their motors,...
And,.... No plans for any Rebuilds....

My 4.3LX is nearing 1000hrs,+ Still shows New Rebuild compression #s.......

It's My Opinion that an I/O motor will live Twice as long as Any Outboard motor.....
With the Proper Maintance of course....

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I was told when I bought my car, by people that don't know cars, that I would be lucky if it last two years the way I drive. I have a 13 year old Fiat (Europe) 1100cc motor. It has spent most of it's life on the German Autobahn running between 4500 and 6500 RPM. It runs at about 120MPH for hours at a time, and this is well over it's normal top speed of about 95MPH.

It has compression ratings that are the same as when it was new. It's every two year environmental test also show the motor is still in the tolerance range for that given when new.

It has never been taken apart, but has been regularly maintained be me. Other than a new alternator (last year), new clutch (last year), and a more powerful cooling fan (years ago just to be on the safe side), it has needed nothing.

Regular use, good oil and maintenance is everything.

As my grandfather told my dad once years ago, nothing will kill a motor faster than not using it. Low hours alone, mean nothing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

No wonder you guys think outboards last forever. You don't ever use them. :eek: :eek:

?Low hours? is a relative term. I average close to 200 hours a year so to me 400 hours is just barely broken in. On the other hand I would consider a 5 years old motor with only 150 hours on it to have been ?abused? and would shy away from that purchase.

To me not running a motor on a regular basis is the worst form of abuse. The commercial guys get thousands of hours out of their motors because they run them day in and day out.

As far as longevity is concerned, I've got 2128 documented hours on a 200HP 2 stroke Evinrude. It?s been well taken care of but the metal in the water passages is getting thin and the compression, while even, is getting down there. After 11 years of use it's pretty much just plan worn out.

A lot of the guys are pushing 3000 hours on their 4 stroke outboards with no signs of giving up anytime too soon.

dbric36

Seaman

1123 hrs on my 1993 7.4L compression #'s are what they were when new. If taken care of they will last a long time.

donnymac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I worked at a logging camp in my youth. The whole camp was powered by a 350 GM spinning a generator. What I thought was super cool is that it had been running for 7 years when I got hired and it was still running over a year later when I left. They never shut it off and they changed the oil while it was running. It was only running at 2200 rpm and the camp boss said that the motor will be replaced at 10 years. It's probably not relevent to boat motors etc. But it sure was imperssive. I use my 4.3 maybe once a week and I put a little over 50 hours last year. If the predictions in this thread are only generalizations I would think I will get 20 years use out of the motor. Volvo put synthetic oil at the factory and I have changed the oil with synthetic ever since. Just idle ramblings.