hydrofoils???????

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: hydrofoils???????

They're mounted even with, or slightly higher than the bottom of the hull, plus they move up and down, this helps to reduce the possiblity of damage, but they can still get beat up.

gss036

Commander

I don't know that I have ever seen a boat with smart tabs installed. I have Bennet Hydralic Trims tabs on my boat. How do the SMART TABS work? Do they stay down and get pushed back up to hull level by water pressure?
I had a foil on my 200 Merc, but have a 225 Honda and didn't want to start drilling on a new ,motor. I personally think it helped a little. I will start using my boat a lot more after the first of the month, so wil know more.

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont wanna start something but hydrofoils worked wonderful on my old outfit. I had a small 14' allum. with a 20 hp tiller steer and I couldnt see around the boat at low idle; like leaving the state park or coming in to the dock or boating thru flooded timber. In the last hole it wouldn't plane til ful throttle, something i didnt want in a fishing rig. I bought a hydrofoil and it changed all that, the boat would plane at low speed and i could see where i was going!! I dont know if it hurt my top end performance or fuel economy, i didnt notice a change in handling or turning. I now have a 16' trihull w/ 85hp and same problem, at low speed the bow sticks up high. Where I fish there's lots of flooded timber and last time out i hit three trees HARD!!! cause i couldnt see them, bow was too high. I have sittling next to me a set of stearns hydrofoil, and will install them today hopefully.

My .02
Eterry

rdnk_4_lf

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thats the point i am trying to prove but i didnt know how to word it thanks and somthing else i dont know about the smart tabs but a foil helps stability at super high speeds and in turning i plan on putting one on my merc 100 tomarrow

Nandy

Commander

As I stated before, hydrofoils seems to help but not in every case. Actually, seems that hydrofoils are a good investment for motors under 50 and in light vessels like John boats. Im not saying they wont work anywhere else but most of the boaters that I hear that have success with it, including myself, have a small light boat and a small hp motor.
eterry, sounds like your initial problem was your tilt plus balancing your load. I also think a 20 is pushing the envelope for a 14 footer but I might be wrong. Putting more weight at the bow could have solved the problem. Anyway, glad they hydrofoil worked for you. I remember the difference it made in my john when I installed them. It was from night to day....

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nandy, the boat was rated for a 25hp, but the 20 made the loose rivets rattle at WOT so it was PLENTY of motor for the boat. As to load, the only load was two fishing rods, a tackle box, wire basket, and a six-pack cooler of water, all of which was in the bow of the boat. Only thing in the stern was me, but i am not a small guy!! If there is another way to balance the boat I dont know of it. I guess I could have put a bag of cement in the bow :)
Eterry

maxumus

Cadet

In my opinion, for a bigger or heavier boat you need trim tabs but for small boats with outboards the hydrofoil works great. In my opinion for a heavy boat hydrofoils are to weak to do any good. Trim tabs over smart tabs, more expensive but you have control and not always trying to push done and drag. Plus it is nice if wind or weight is listing you to one side you can trim that high side back down.
I had a 15' hydrostream with a 90 h.p. If you know these boats they have a fast hull design. They are slow to plane and normally needed trimed in full. If we had a full boat or try to tow we had to lean over the windshield to get up on plane. I installed a regular plastic hydrofoil and what an amazing difference for so cheap. I almost never have to trim in to get on plane now and planes instantly and it stays on plane at slower speeds longer. This use to be my dads boat and he was totally amazed at the difference and wish he had done it years ago.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

thats the point i am trying to prove but i didnt know how to word it thanks and somthing else i dont know about the smart tabs but a foil helps stability at super high speeds and in turning i plan on putting one on my merc 100 tomarrow

Foils don't help stability at high speeds or in turns.

They pick up the boat from the center not the side which gives you stability (wider is better for stability)

One thing to notice is the fact that no boat manufacturer or motor manufacturer has ever installed a foil on there product.

Tabs come on every boat that the owner can afford them.

Nope no foils.... never

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Hey maxumus,

Your boat has a pad hull design, the flat spot on the bottom of the vee.

You really shouldn't be running a foil.

Your boat is supposed to run only on the very back of that pad at speed and the foil is lifting it right where it shouldn't.

You have removed all the benefits design.

I know you only have a 90 hp but go to the scream and fly forum and get help dialing in your boat, a foil is not the way to go.

Might be you need some offset (putting the motor farther back) or a different prop or change your x dimension (raise or lower motor)

Nandy

Commander

One thing to notice is the fact that no boat manufacturer or motor manufacturer has ever installed a foil on there product.

Tabs come on every boat that the owner can afford them.

Im not argumenting the wonders of the tabs, but that is a broken logic as there is a lot of other good inventions that are not installed by the manufacturer.

rdnk_4_lf

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the guy who got me hooked on foils took me fishing one day before he got a foil himself he said watch this he opened it up wide open and the boat never did plane out correctly even when it was trimmed out and then it just started wabbleing at about 50mph and the next time we went he had a foil it made a world of difference it went on plane faster and it was way more stable on top end now his boat does about 55 it didnt help the top speed but it did help the ride alot (i am not saying that smart tabs wouldnt have done the same thing on his 16 ft bass boat with a 140 johnson)

10 FOOT INVADER

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The only problem I had with the smart tabs, my kids used them for stepping platforms. They break off easy. The smart tabs out perform hydro foils even on small boats. I cut down a set for my 10 foot invader speed boat.

rak98221

Cadet

I recently installed a Stingray Hydrofoil on my '89 Bayliner 1952 cuddy, it has the 5.0L Cobra. What a difference, I have read alot of negative stuff about hydrofoils, but on this boat and my last, a '72 Glastron Aqualift AQ170A V/P 270 outdrive it worked as advertised. The boat hops up really quick and keeps the bow down at low speeds, all porpoising was eliminated and trimming it out is more effective on the Bayliner, it pulls the bow up I don't know about top speed as I haven't tried that by myself yet with it on, by myself before without the hydrofoil running a 3 blade 14 1/4X21 I would top out at 50MPH/4100RPM. I never had any problem on my Glastron on the cavitation plate as far as the hydrofoil damaging it. Thanks.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some pretty interesting reads here. I just bought a 16' 1968 Crestliner with a 1970 115hp Evinrude. Seems to be a good rig with a few quirks that I'm figuring out. There was a pair of hydrofoils in the boat and I was wondering whether I should put them on the motor or not. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of force that puts on the relatively light cavitation plate they attach to.
The boat planes pretty quickly, but I don't think the Tach is working correctly. It's only indicating 1100 rpm on plane at about 25 mph indicated! The original fuel tank was removed at some point and replaced with a 6 gal portable. I've got an 18 gal replacement ordered to install as original was. The biggest problem so far has been an electrical system birdnest. Seems anytime someone had a problem, they ran new wires and cobbled something together. I've pulled two sets of wire out that weren't connected to anything any longer. Still it's been fun and will be a nice rig when I'm done.

Thanks for all the insight and experience, Stretch

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Count me in
I ditched the foil and got smartabs
GREAT STUFF

gotfish1

Cadet

Ziggy, I hope you or someone can help me with an issue I've been having since owning a 1987 SeaRay Monaco 21'. Great boat, but...

I would like some coaching/tips on correcting what I will call a "squirrely" or erratic action my SeaRay displays when I'm up on plane. I have Bennett trim tabs installed and they work to trim the load. But my problem is that I cannot keep the boat from veering/listing from left to center to right without constantly adjusting the trim tabs. It's a great boat but I really dislike this feeling of instability. I appreciate any tips you care to share. Thank you.

search it on iboats. or, they is in the marine store here on iboats.... http://www.iboats.com/Marine_Store/...607538--submit.Search--submit.x.0--submit.y.0
google it.... theyz the ticket. forget the foil (whaletail) idea. smart tab is where it's at. bet ya can't find one person that don't like them after install on a search here.......

no i don't have them.
no i don't have a whale tail either....... but i've had one in the past. all it did for me was break my vent. plate....

i would have them if i thought for a miniute that i needed a lift at the back. or wanted to drill holes in my boat. which i don't want to do.....