Scupper Problems & Finding the Right Boat

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice
Part 1

I'm getting a little wary hearing about some of the problems smaller boats have had with scuppers taking in water. The Key West has come up one too many times for my liking, especially for a boat that's supposed to be of pretty good quality.

Can anyone chime in here? Experiences? Have KW, Scout, etc. fixed this problem? I keep hearing "you just stick the plugs in", but honestly, I don't really find that acceptable. I feel like if I'm paying good money, particularly for a new boat, it should run like a swiss watch, at least in the beginning (no telling what'll happen after I do some striper fishing in it in the Sound).

Part 2

I feel like this is the real issue. I want to get the right boat for me, and I don't want to mess it up! I need a 17 foot fishing machine. Scout, Key West, Sea Hunt, Sea Pro, Century, and Mako are all on the list. I like whalers, Gradys, Edgewater, and some of the other higher end models too, but realistically can't afford em. I really want to stay with a new boat.

It just seems like I can't find that A+ boat. Will there always be a compromise? I'm probably just being a noob here, but any feedback would be great.

I'm capping myself at 25 grand, and ideally it should be closer to 20 to not break the bank.

Steer me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance for the help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Scupper Problems & Finding the Right Boat

every boat with scuppers, i have ever seen except my 230 chris craft, has had water problems with too much weight in the stern. the reason the chris craft doesn't is the it sits high in the water. scuppers are way above water line.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

I plugged my scuppers. TD is right. Any scuppers below the water line will let some water into the stern. Mine only worked on days with no wind and no other boats (very rare). Mine worked fine until I put so much weight in the stern that they went below water. My understaning of scuppers is that they should be above water and are there to prevent most water from passing through in a following sea or with wakes. Move weight forward, or plug 'em and put in an auto bilge. Don't sell a good boat because of this. All boats have some trade-offs.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Key West 1520CC. We get water in through the scuppers at idle with weight in the stern. I don't like it but I found rubber plugs keep it out. My father-in-law has a scout 19 ft and this doesn't happen. It seems like they could have designed the KW so that doesn't happen. This is my first boat so I guess it's live and learn. I plan on keeping this boat for a long time so I'll just have to put up with using the plugs.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Not sure why anyone would want to actually plug their scuppers. Just hope you never really need them I guess.

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

That's kind of what I was getting at dingbat.

I get why the problem happens, but my point is that I guess it shouldn't happen!

Trying to find a 17 footer that works for me.

kevincoe

Seaman

I have an old Grady. The previous owner installed a 200 hp. motor.(Boat was rated for 230hp?) Not sure if this was the cause but I get water threw the scuppers. I installed a pair of scuppers that have a ball in it and they work very well. Never have I got water thru them again. Are these the scuppers your talking about? Or I you taking about the flap type? These look a little weird because the project out a little, but they work.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

scuppers work by water pressure, a wave adds pressure, then lets off, the scupper relaxes, the next wave surprizes it, and a little water gets. water is going to find the balance, if the deck is below water level, it is going to get in. i agree the ball type scupper is best, but not fool proof.

kevincoe

Seaman

Hennessy, not trying to steer you away from a new boat but with this economy and the price of gas plus all the extra's you might need to put into it... I would shop around. Their r some really good boats out there. A friend said more then half his marina was for sale last year! If he knew there were gonna be so many nice boats for sale he wouldn't have spend the money on the two engines he just installed. Smaller boats r harder to find but I am sure they r out there. What do I know, maybe I'm just jealous!!!!

kevincoe

Seaman

Hennessy, My buddy bought a beautiful 17 foot Key West for five grand last year on E-bay. The gentlemen bought it new in the early 90's and kept it mint.. It is a bay boat for sure, but we had many trips with it in Raritan Bay, and caught many stripers. Has a 90 hp v-4 evinrude and runs great. Shop around.....don't listen to me..... I'm just jealous.!!!

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys.

A question: Is they Key West 176 CC considered a bay boat or a true CC?

I want to stay away from Bay type boats if I can, mainly because LI Sound can get a bit hairy.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

A "true" center console is defined by just that...it has a center console. What differs on a bay boat is the rise, rake and angle of the bow are minimal to enhance fishability from the frontal areas since you usually would not take it where you would encounter high seas. If LI Sound is anything like the Chesapeake Bay, I would really look at 19's if for nothing more than the comfort level. The 17' Key West CCs in this area are used primarily as a bay boat.

kevincoe

Seaman

Hennessy, I have to agree with Fish here. If you are traveling any distance in a 17 footer you have to be careful. Even in the summer, when no storms are forecast, they can sneak up on you hard and fast. I have kissed the ground two times already. Once on a crabbing rental with a 10hp out of Seaside Heights, and once on the Hackensack River with my 16 foot sea nymth. It was after this I traded in my new boat for an older more stable boat. Even with my twenty one footer I stay within my comfort zone. The chop in a bay or river can be nasty during a suprise storm.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

i used to have a carolina skiff with the ball type scuppers. yeah it let a little water in, particularly with two guys in the stern. but it was not that much and it bailed quickly a soon as you get moving. i wouldnt let it influence my decision on a boat... but thats just me.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

My Scout Dorado will let some water in if I'm standing in the back dead still. Under way at any speed and it all just runs out. I've got the ball type as well and with no one on board they sit just an inch or so above the water line. It doesn't really bother me any more. We boat mostly in inland lakes and I just want the scuppers to drain the boat when it's uncovered overnight during a rainstorm or when I throw buckets of water in to wash down the cockpit. From pouring lots of water in while on board I know 98% of a wave over the front would drain away even if I was adrift.

Last spring at the start of my first season I kept the plugs in unless leaving the boat. Now I just leave them out all the time and put up with it. While this did surprise me at first, the boat's got too many other good features to get real hung up on it.

As for seaworthiness, I think I'd want considerably bigger than 17 feet for the Sound. 20-22 would make me feel better.

205sportsfish.jpg

205 Sportfish

222sportsfish.jpg

222 Sportfish

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys...lots of good info here.

The general consensus I'm hearing is that the scupper issue can arise in any model of boat that's a bit weighed down. I'm gonna try not to worry about it.

As for the size of the craft, I've fished 17 footers my whole life in the Sound: I think I need to clarify what that means.

I think the farthest out I've ever fished is 3/4 a mile...tops. All my good fishing spots are right near shore: reefs, harbors, sandbars, that type of thing...I don't think I'd even know how to catch a striper in 80 feet of water :)

But yes, I understand the point, 17 feet is undoubtedly on the small side. I'll probably just deal with it.

My final list is looking something like this: Key West, Scout, Sea Hunt, Sea Pro, Century, Sea Chaser, and an outside shot at an Edgewater (gonna be too much $$$ I think). I crossed Trophy, Mako, and Triumph off the list for good, I think.

Any other ideas for a 17 foot fishing machine in that general price range?

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

I like the Scout. Very well built boats. Big $$$ though.

kevincoe

Seaman

hey hen, me again trying to steer u away from a new boat....e-bay has a 2006 Sea Hunt Triton 172 for sale...Mint! U could probably get for half price of new. Have money to make it a fishing machine! You have a day and a half to think about it? I mean mint! 90 hp. and the guy gives a description on it. Just tryin to help out.

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

Hey thanks for that. I took a look. Beautiful boat.

I'm kinda getting discouraged with this whole thing. The more I look the more I don't know what the hell to do.

The 2008 Key West 176 is a beautiful boat, I took a look down in NJ today.

I've narrowed it down to a few boats, but I guess I'm having second thoughts about whether it's worth it or not. Pessismistic/negative parents don't help things much.

Ill continue the hunt nevertheless.

kevincoe

Seaman

Hennessy, A few things you have to think about...and understand most of us have been in your position. I remember this story because I had the same asperations as a teenager...My father talked me into investing in a piece of property in Ocean City Maryland...now I thank God he did...that was my downpayment on my house. New boats get old fast! Hate sounding like an "old man" but they are looking out for your best interest. If a new car losses 20-30% once out of the showroom...what about a boat? New boats are for high rollers and well tadoo retired types...unfortunately that leaves a lot of us out. A good used is the way to go.