Livewell Timer

D

DJ

I was given a livewell timer (Thanks, Valv), however I'm not sure how to hook it up.<br /><br />It (timer ass'y) appears to be a large capacitor.<br /><br />It has four wires.<br /><br />1. Red<br /><br />2. Green<br /><br />3. Black<br /><br />4. Yellow (in a loop back to the connector at the top of the capacitor)<br /><br />Any ideas? <br /><br />I've tried hooking it up to some sort of 12 volt load (1157 bulb) but can't make it turn on and off.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
Re: Livewell Timer

The timer is not a capacitor. It is likely an epoxy ecapsulated electronic circut. You can fry it if you don't hook it up properly. Need to know the brand if its stamped on it or a picture would help if no brand is available. I've used several different brands to rig up live wells for bass boat conversions. In additon need to know the current draw of the pump your using too. Certain timers are strictly limited to small 360 gph pumps and if you use something bigger you have to use a small automotive relay to power the pump.

D

DJ

FBM,<br /><br />It is manufactured by an outfit called: Marine Electrical Components, Lebanon, MO.<br /><br />The pump draws two amps.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Jus' happen to have one of those in MY boat and a new spare one.......lemme find the paper work and be back at ya shortly......

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Red=+12V battery<br />Green=+12V to pump<br />Black=-12V to pump AND -12V battery<br />Max input 3 amps @ 12V(that means pump shuld draw less than 3 amps, preferably 2.5 amps or less) Instructions state to NOT install slow blow or fuses bigger than 3 amps.<br />Scale on front indicates percentage of time that pump runs of a cycle off?<br />Instructions say runs for 45 seconds then stays off for about 180 seconds on the 25 position(you can deduce what the others are from there). If timing periods are not rite, turn unit off for 10 seconds to reset then turn on again. Soldered joints are best with at least 16 ga. marine wire, instructions say high resistance in the leads will screw up the timing.

D

DJ

Flyboy,<br /><br />I am assuming he ground can be common?

dannyboy7

Cadet

Old thread, but it's what I need to replace myself. I have two different pumps, and different amperage for both, can I use one switch? Front pump, smaller well, has rule pro series 500 gph/12 volt/2.5 amp ignition protected pump. Rear well, larger well, has Attwood mini king 360, 12 volt/.85 amp. I think the timing switch/board went bad, and the previous owner mistakenly replace the rocker switch. is there a good wiring diagram available? Stratos 1987 179 SC.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Hmmmm...Stratos....good luck. Been there done that....
You need to run new wires and calculate what the the draw is on the pumps you're using. REMEMBER stall current or loaded current with a spray head can be 2-10 times the rated free running current. You may have to use a relay powered by the timer. Stratos seems to loose their "papers" after few years at the factory in some cases.

walleyeguy57070

Recruit

I don't know if this helps but there is a wiring diagram for a non stratos related boat, so the green wire, is brown on the diagram, the second diagram is two pumps in parallel, but you would need a double pole double throw switch, the diagram is single pole (one pump on at a time) double throw
http://www.eng-genius.com/Installation.htm