firearms aboard your boat

Re: firearms aboard your boat

Here in Charlotte we have had 9 murders in 7 days. Even though it might be a no no ,I think keeping a nice little 38 pistol hidden under your drivers seat is good insurance if you have an auto accident "thats goes wrong" We have a big problem here with certain types of people trying to flee the scene of the accidents they cause BEFORE the police arrive........A citizen sometimes needs to 'take authority" know what I mean?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I also disagree with the person who feels that there are no circumstances under which you can legally shoot someone. Generally speaking, the standard in such things is "reasonable force." If someone threatens to punch you and you pull out a gun and shoot that person, you will very definately have legal problems. On the other hand, if they say they are going to kill you and raise a gun to level it at you, and you happen to shoot them first, you will likely be fine from a legal perspective as long as you have a legal firearm, etc. That is not to say that you won't have a few legal bills just to keep things where they need to be during the investigation but, you should prevail in the end.

The bigger problem will most likely be that the relatives of the "poor, misunderstood, innocent" attempted murderer will sue you and try to take everything you own.

I'm not really a gun guy and feel that some of the second amendment arguments are a little far fetched but, I do believe that law abiding citizens ought to be able to own and possess them. As far as keeping them on boats, the problem that I see is that you will have to be accurately aware of the laws in every jurisdiction that you carry them in. If you tend to boat in the same places, that may not be a big deal but, if you move around a lot, you will spend quite a bit of time doing this.

45Auto

Commander

Jay is correct. In the US you are allowed to use "deadly force" (that physical force such as firing a weapon that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury) to defend yourself or another person against death or serious bodily injury. Just make sure it is a last resort and hope you have some friendly witnesses. Be prepared to defend your decision in criminal and civil court.

As far as I know the only place you are allowed to use deadly force to defend property (someone is stealing your boat or running down the street with your big screen TV) is in Texas.

If you are going to carry a gun be aware of the laws and when you can use it.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Around here all you have to do is threaten someone with physical harm and they charge you with terroristic threats which is a felony. No actual harm has to be done or weapon has to be shown. I got a friend in jail for that right now. He'll spend about a year I guessing. The jail time is not the worst part. It's the probation they put you on and the treetment progams they send everyone through.Even if they are sober when the offense occurs. Every one ends up violating probation and in the end they spend more time in jail for probation violation then the original sentence would have been. All any on in this area can afford is the public defender and as it was already pointed out there not much help. Personally, I stay at home alone and that way I avoid trouble. I just have to be careful where I go on the internet.

45Auto

Commander

Sounds like you need to move somewhere you can have a real life!

Never understood threatening someone with physical harm. Tell them to stop or ignore them until force is required then apply it appropriately. I've found it to be much more effective if it's a total surprise to them when it happens!

Drowned Rat

Captain

Correct me if I'm wrong 45, but deadly force is also indicated to apprehend a fleeing violent offender who still possesses the means to kill or maim. For example; A bank robber shoots a clerk and then flees the scene with the gun. If shooting that robber is the only reliable way to apprehend him, then deadly force is indicated even though it couldn't be proven anyone else's life necessarily was in danger. On the flip side, if he shot the clerk then dropped the gun and fled, deadly force wouldn't be proper. That's how I remember it anyway.

45Auto

Commander

You are absolutely right, Drowned Rat, but that is a law enforcement situation and I was trying to restrict my discussion to civilian self-defense uses of deadly force. I'm not totally sure myself what kind of situation a civilian who was not threatened by the fleeing felon would be in. I'm sure the authorities would be grateful and there wouldn't be any criminal prosecution, but I have no idea how the civil side would work when the robber's family sues you! There are several occasions where law enforcement personnel are authorized to use deadly force to prevent a crime or apprehend someone that would get a civilian in trouble.

quenston

Cadet

Here in Oklahoma you can have a gun in your vehicle as long as the ammo and the gun is seperate and the gun is unloaded, as far as i know the ammo and gun can be side by side as long as the are not in contact with each other, this is coming from the local game warden and lake patrol

Benny1963

Lieutenant

here in south louisiana for every man that does not own a gun his neighbor has 3 long live the right to bear arms . for if they take our guns only the crimnals will have them ,sorry for ranting /
happy new year to all
Bennyb

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think you are right, DR but I also think that scenario falls within the reasonable force standard, which also applies to law enforcement officers. And, as C45 points out, it gets a little more complicated if a civilian does the shooting.

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in Charlotte we have had 9 murders in 7 days. Even though it might be a no no ,I think keeping a nice little 38 pistol hidden under your drivers seat is good insurance if you have an auto accident "thats goes wrong" We have a big problem here with certain types of people trying to flee the scene of the accidents they cause BEFORE the police arrive........A citizen sometimes needs to 'take authority" know what I mean?

That "no no" could get you in some real trouble for that little bit of insurance. Why not swing down to the sheriff's office and pick up an application for a concealed carry permit? That way you can protect yourself as well as be legal. The cost isn't very much considering the permit lasts for 5 years.. I think mine was $70.00 to renew thats like $14.00/year!

The application process is very easy and you can get a permit provided you do not have felony record, history of mental illness etc. If you can legally obtain a firearm you should qualify for the concealed carry permit.

45Auto

Commander

In reference to Drowned Rats post #86, I found this on the Florida govenment Concealed Carry Site FAQ. A civilian can use deadly force to PREVENT a forcible felony, but you can't legally use it to stop a fleeing felon if you are not in danger. I'm pretty sure it's the same for civilians almost everywhere, but anyone carrying a weapon needs to be aware of the local laws:

Q. What if I see a crime being committed?

A. A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman. But, as stated earlier, deadly force is justified if you are trying to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. The use of deadly force must be absolutely necessary to prevent the crime. Also, if the criminal runs away, you cannot use deadly force to stop him, because you would no longer be "preventing" a crime. If use of deadly force is not necessary, or you use deadly force after the crime has stopped, you could be convicted of manslaughter.

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Correct me if I'm wrong 45, but deadly force is also indicated to apprehend a fleeing violent offender who still possesses the means to kill or maim. For example; A bank robber shoots a clerk and then flees the scene with the gun. If shooting that robber is the only reliable way to apprehend him, then deadly force is indicated even though it couldn't be proven anyone else's life necessarily was in danger. On the flip side, if he shot the clerk then dropped the gun and fled, deadly force wouldn't be proper. That's how I remember it anyway.

If the shooter in question was in the bank and was NOT law enforcement he may very well end up in trouble for carrying a firearm inside the bank. Government buildings and firearms are a big no-no.

The description of deadly force sounds very much like a law enforcement definition not a self defense one! You can only use deadly force as a citizen to prevent the loss of your own life or someone else's life that is in danger!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think that people forget that police officers are also subject to the "reasonable force" standards. I think that part of the reason why they are sometimes ruled to be justified in shooting a fleeing suspect, is because they command that person to stop and often times the suspect refuses to do so, and then either actually raises a weapon to the officer, or does something that legitimately gives the officer reason to believe that he/she is in mortal danger.

tjl76evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the best thing anyone can do is NOT listen to what someone says about a law. Look up the statutes for YOURSELF and know them well. 95% of people think they know the law but proably less than 5% of them actually do.

trying to explain to a cop what the law is will make him laugh and put you in jail probably.

Dont take my word for gospel, but from what i gathered from looking at the statutes myself for FL is that a person can posses a handgun on a boat without a concealed permit IF the gun is "enclosed" and not ready for immediate use. its the same as having it in your private conveyance. if you have your concealed permit then you can conceal on the boat. in both cases there is various areas like wildlife managment areas and national parks where you may or may not be able to carry. you MUST look for yourself.