1992 Aluminum Boat needs a good cleaning of the Aluminum Hull What works best??

sigarmsp226

Cadet
Title is the heart of my question - Need the voice of experience please. Purchased a 1992 Tracker boat that is CLEAN - only thing is the previous owner did not do a great job of keeping the underside of this boat rinsed off after each trip to the river. What is the best stuff on the market and how hard is it to apply and remove. I do have a power washer if that is a tool needed for this cleaning job. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Mark in Mississippi

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1992 Aluminum Boat needs a good cleaning of the Aluminum Hull What works best??

power washer is my best advice. make sure it is not electrolosis, eating the aluminum. i had one boat that had a bunch of pin holes in it from electrolosis

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1992 Aluminum Boat needs a good cleaning of the Aluminum Hull What works best??

Pickk up a bottle of ToonBrite at your local boating store. I bought a 1974
Sears aluminum boat this spring and after using the ToonBrite it looked like it just came off the production line. Simply spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes then power wash it off. You won't be disapointed.

Neverhome

sigarmsp226

Cadet

tashasdaddy - How are you my old Iboat friend. Hope all is good. Boat still running great just ready to make the under side look new again.

neverhome - Thank you for your quick reply also. I just ordered a half gallon of the toon brite frm iboats and it will be in my hands in 3-5 days - total cost including s&h just over $ 25.00.... I will let you guys know how it works.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you.

Mark

D

DJ

You committed yourself. We expect before and after pictures. ;-)

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like pictures! :D

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i've used a product called "on off" hull cleaner on my fiberglass boat i have used it ,litely,on my props,have to be quick with the hoses also dont inhale this stuff it will do major damage to brian cells...but the stuff cleans off barnacles like you wont belive...

mfcoloradonf

Recruit

Once you got it nice and clean. You can just use Pledge and clean soft cloth there after. After a day of boating it helps keep the dirt/waterline build to a minimum. A can is good for about two wipe down sessions on my 16 footer. Your boat will be shiny and lemony fresh!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Alumabrite cleans bare aluminum pretty well. It is caustic, however, so make sure you rinse it off completely when done.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Blast furnace...

Blast furnaces clean aluminum REALLY well, and when you're done, you can pour it into almost any mould and make just about anything you want, except a boat, which you won't have anymore, because you put it in a blast furnace. :D