Floor Access Hatch

1981 14-1/2 ft. fish & ski. There was an access hatch in the floor running lengthwise, about 3 ft. long and 8 or 10 inches wide. Previous owner did a quick & dirty floor repair and just covered it all up with carpet.

I'm now replacing the carpet and will clean up the floor repair while I'm at it. After that I'd really like to have a functioning access hatch. I'm good with fiberglass, so will probably build a hatch. I'm having trouble envisioning how it's going to fit together though, such that it looks neat and is functional. If anybody's got something similar a few photos would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

barkerrd

Cadet
Re: Floor Access Hatch

My brother's boat is set up like that , it is a small (17ft) four winns . His door is made of teak . I am guessing teak because there is no finish on the wood . But the wood is spaced so that you can see through it . He keeps his water skiis under it ...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

like this, this one is $200 ebay # 250188785224

Attachments

• a4cd_2.JPG
    a4cd_2.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 0

Ride The Lightning

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi,

I think you find everything you need at a buildung center. T-profile and some wooden plates.
Have a look at the photo, I think this is a very simple idea which looks great. For opening the hatch you can fix a fitting on it.

t1sn8.jpg

37985749ki4.jpg

Oh, looks like someone swipes a "p".

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

deck

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Either idea has merit. On Ride's idea, you can get a flush ring that lies flat with the deck and by putting your finger in it and pulling it up you open the hatch. Hinges have to allow for the T overhang on the hinge side so watch that.

Either way, you want to insure that you have stringers under the edges or something to make it solid when you step on it and I wouldn't use less than 5/8" Marine Plywood. Marine plywood is made from waterproof glue and the laminations are usually thinner and more of them and the quality of the wood is cabinet grade, so for a given thickness (weight) you get a lot more support.

Mark

MikDee

Banned

When I bought my 24' SeaRay Cuddy yrs ago, I got it for a good price because the original 3 hatch covers in the floor were so weather worn, they were nothing more then sawdust. I decided I wanted a plank look, so I bought a few sheets of 5/8" T-111 "plank look" siding, and also some 1/4" marine plywood sheets to back them up. I cut them to shape, then glued & screwed them together for the proper thickness (about 7/8"), stained them with a color mix of Behr's transparent stain (to an approximate teak color) then "Butchers waxed" them, drilled a 1'' hole, on one end of each, as a lifting point, (the orig. fiberglass floor had a lip built in all around) for me to just lay them in place. It looked great! just like teak planking, and held up quite well. Sorry, I don't have any pictures, at the time I didn't have a camera.

salty87

Commander

iboats didn't have too many but you could buy a plastic hatch too for pretty cheap, ebay has some...boat deck hatch....Ivory colored Boat Deck Hatch measures 35.5" x 11.5" x 3/4"...$30

Dang, I buy a boat and now I gotta' learn all these new words. I always thought a deck was where a grill is attached to the back of my house. :)

I've got the old 'repair' removed and the deck isn't too terribly bad, will just need to trim back a couple of inches around it.

Another question.... Previous owner had built frames for the seats out of 2x6's and fastened them down with drywall screws. After I either buy or make much lighter seat frames what is the proper way to fasten them to the deck. Unfortunately the underside of the deck is not at all accessable where the seats go.

thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Non corrosive screws are probably the accepted method. As they age, you can move the mounts to a new place and drill a new hole, patching the old, or put in larger screws.

Other option would be to get the deck down to bare glass (remove carpet, paint, dirt-grease, etc.), sand for roughness, and hand lay some matting strips across the interface and resin it in place.

Mark

Ride The Lightning

Petty Officer 3rd Class