1965 COBIA sSEA QUEEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1965 COBIA sSEA QUEEN

sounds like the float needle in the carb is not closing. take it back to the guy who did the carb. i believe you motor has the tilt tube( a pipe that goes thru, where the motor tilts. if so i would recommend, this package, the reason is that the 1150 has a lot of torque steer, this will make controlling the boat easier.
http://www.iboats.com/Teleflex_NFB_...13443866--**********.952509601--view_id.40292

measure from center of helm to side of boat, from helm to back of boat, from side of boat to center of motor, add these up, and round up to next foot.
My boat has a pulley on each side of the transon inside the splash well. They attach to the motor somehow but I don't know if it is a tube. I forgot now. Are you suggesting that I change the current system and upgrade to the link site you sent?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

exactly, that is too much motor for the old cable pulley system. very dangerous.

Packrat5296

Cadet

Amazing!!!!!!!!!! After searching for two years I have found more Cobia Sea Queens. I purchased one from a pawn shop for $100.00 with trailer and 65H.P. Johnson. I can tell you that it floats and the engine runs. Other than that the outlook is grim. I will be starting a full resto this summer and would love to keep my new Sea Queen friends updated. I will post pics soon of this almost forgotten beauty. Please share any advice on this project. Would like to repower with new 4-stroke. What h.p. would you recommend and what type of speed can I expect.

tashasdaddy

the 65 is well under powered for that boat. Pam's was set up nicely with the 115 of that time. if you are thinking 4 stroke, you will have to beef up the transom, it was not designed to carry that much weight.

Packrat5296

Cadet

I have removed the 65 and put a 115 on to go play on the water. Seemed to work fine. Put the 65 back on and yes seems underpowered. Reasoning for the four stroke would be fuel economy and noise levels, maybe these are misguided thoughts? Is the weight difference between the two very large. Thanks for the response.

tashasdaddy

probably 100 lbs. 4 stroke heavier, and it has many more moving parts.

Packrat5296

Cadet

What horespower would you think is best for this boat in a two stroke?

tashasdaddy

i think a 115 johnson would run really nice on it.

65Cobia

Recruit

any one know where to get replacement parts for the sea queen? windshield in particular. maybe some pics of original interior? i own one, just got it. replacing transom now, stringer repair prior but will need to be restored in a few years. waiting due to lack of funds. anyone with resto pics would help greatly. thanks for the one ones already posted. thanks for the help

Packrat5296

Cadet

Still working on my Cobia. Removed about 150Lbs of rotten wood from the floors. Over the years different owners laid new plywood on rotten plywood. Have a nice clean hull now, going back with new floors soon.

lsteigerwalt

Cadet

I am purchasing one of these this week and was wondering if anyone found any brochures as was mentioned earlier. I called the company but they no longer have any info on this boat. Please help...

macaw

Recruit

I know that this is an old thread but for those of You that apreciate these old clasics I will post pictures of the progress once I get it home. I just bought one that has been sitting covered up in A barn since 1972 for $500. Transom and floor are both solid and the original blue botom - white top gelcoat is still good, only needs A good wax job. All of the seats are gone but for the price I could not turn it down. It even has the original 75HP Johnson motor on it that has good compression but I have not tried to start it yet.

Bondo

Staff member

I know that this is an old thread but for those of You that apreciate these old clasics I will post pictures of the progress once I get it home. I just bought one that has been sitting covered up in A barn since 1972 for $500. Transom and floor are both solid and the original blue botom - white top gelcoat is still good, only needs A good wax job. All of the seats are gone but for the price I could not turn it down. It even has the original 75HP Johnson motor on it that has good compression but I have not tried to start it yet.
Please start your own thread,

Please,........

Packrat5296

Cadet

I would love to see your pictures... Things have not been so smooth on restoring mine but it is still on the list of things to do. I did find a local plastic supplier that said they could build or sell me the materials to build my own new windshield. I also had the orignal motor when i bought mine that ran perfect. It has been removed and a replacement for it has not been acquired. I may use it, but would like to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.