2 bow or 3 bow bimini top

DBLDX2C

Cadet
I am looking to put a bimini top on my Bayliner Trophey Bass boat. I was told a 2 bow top is all I need. Is there any reasons I shouldn't put this on and go with a 3 bow top? I'm so new to boating it is almost painful! Thanks for the help.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2 bow or 3 bow bimini top

Depends on the boat size.The 3 bow is usually a 6ft top.I found with biminis that bigger is usually better. I had a 6ft 3 bow on my 19ft boat and wished i had bought a 4 bow.

BoatAddiction

Seaman Apprentice

Gary is right...more bows usually equals more size. I also personally feel that more bows equals more stability to the setup and the canvas itself. More stability can mean that you can keep the top up when at cruise speed (depending on how fast you move) and often means that you don't have the puddling problems when it rains.

DBLDX2C

Cadet

Thanks for the help. My boat is 16' and it is usually just me and another person. The 2 bow should cover a third of the boat being 5' long. Is this a typical bimini coverage? Thanks again!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I just put a 6' 3 bow on my 17' BB. The third bow gives you added headroom and cuts down fluttering when running with it up. I set it up to slide back and lie on the deck (stow) just ahead of the engine, which is nice and out of the way, not blocking access to my battery/fuel tank compartment, and when raised it just fits between the front of the rear fishing seat and rear of the front.

Wanted to be able to have it up and fish out of the seats simultaneously.

HTH

Mark

DBLDX2C

Cadet

I did go with a 3 bow and couldn't be happier. Thanks for all the help!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thats good. I knew the 3 bow would be better.What kind did you buy?
I'm looking at an 8 ft 4 bow that matches my AquaShield cover.The price tag is unreal! 400 bucks...ouch

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Gary.

I learned a long time ago, spend your money for what works; what you want. The money will be gone forever and you will quickly get over it...............what you purchased with it will be with you for a long time and paying a little more for something that does the job is a lot more satisfying than trying to lowball it and getting a piece of crap. BTDT.

Daily I marvel at biting the bullet on the purchase (many of varied forms) for what I got in the process and the resultant satisfaction with the purchase and enjoyment.....regardless of what it is....................well, not completely; my wife cost $3.00 (marriage license) and my dad paid for that................back in 1961. But it was a good investment...................er ah, I think. Grin

Mark

redfury

Commander

I think that you get more inclined to spend the money the older you get. A few years ago, I'd try to find anything and everything for as cheap as I could. I've learned ( at age 35 ) that spending a little more for known quality over suspect quality makes you happier every time. And I agree, you won't miss the money unless you are unhappy with the purchase.

Of course, if you get lucky, you may just stumble across a used one that is in perfect shape and save a couple of bucks...nothing wrong with keeping your eyes open and having a little patience.

mike-the-cobra

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just ordered and installed from iboats the 3 bow 4 foot bimini for my 15' Four Winns Freedom 150. I wanted something to just cover basically the drivers seat. I got the 3 foot tall model and mounted it on the top of the side windows. Makes it so I can stand up under it. Installed but haven't used it yet.

boat1.jpg

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have the top that came with my boat that snaps to the windshield.
Its a pain to put up and feels to closed in.
I'm going to order the 4 bow for it that matches the color of the boat and my new cover.Its going to cost 400 bucks for the 8ft.It will be nice to have one that folds back out of the way.My factory top i have to take down and lay in the floor..its a PIA.....