Teleflex steering adjustments

trobinson017

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I have a Teleflex steering system in my center console boat. It came with the boat 4 years ago but no documentation. I've never done anything to the steering other than lube the joint by the motor. My issue now is that the steering has a lot of play in it now. I can turn the wheel about 10 deg. each direction before it engages. The steering stuff inside the console looks pretty well contained with the cables going into a metal housing where the steering wheel "axle" is. Is there a way to adjust this to reduce the play? Should I be lubing the system anywhere else besides the motor "joint"?

TIA!

Tim

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Teleflex steering adjustments

Tim,
What is the horsepower of your boat? Teleflex makes two different versions of their helm systems for smaller boats. Do you have a reservalve installed?
Any idea what the model number is? Two or three lines?

trobinson017

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GC,

The motor is a '99 Johnson 130 OceanPro. I couldn't find a model number on the steering assembly but there was a sticker, kind of like the ones you see on store merchandise, that had one set of numbers (98258), the word "Teleflex" below that, and below the word is another set of numbers (0391018). Not sure if eithe r are a model number but that's all that's visible. On the outside, the "boot" that the steering wheel "axle" goes thru has "Teleflex SAF-T-Steeering" on it.

I'm not sure what a reserve valve is. Inside the console where the main steering assembly is, the assembly is shaped like an elongated D. Out of the bottom of the D, comes a thick black rod of sorts that extends out about 2 ft. and ends. It doesn't go anywhere. Sort of looks like a counter-weight or something. Out of the top of the D comes another, thicker black cable that goes off into the bilge area. It comes out at the transom as a much thicker black cable. It goes into a bracket attached to the motor, like a hydraulic mechanism of sorts. Out of the other side of the bracket is a metal rod that comes about a foot or so. To the end of this rod is an L shaped rod that attaches to the motor itself. This is the pivot point that turns the motor. When I turn the wheel a bit left and right nothing is moving back in the transom area. That is the play I'm referring to.

Oh, on the assembly inside the console it says not to open it to fix. It says to replace it if steering is bad.

So, I'm not sure if my issue is something I can tweak or if I have to bite the bullet and install a new steering system. I hope not or the acronym B.O.A.T. I've learned will be true: Break Out Another Thousand.

Thanks for any advice/assistance!

Tim

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

If there is anyway possible to take a closer look at the helm itself? There will ( should ) be a series of numbers stamped into it. If the ole' memory cell proves me right it will be a letter followed by either two or three numbers -
H-61, etc. They will be important in finding the correct procedure for hopefully getting this squared away. If you can't find any other number's I'll take what you gave me a make a coupla' calls. It's Sat. a.m. so might not get any info til Mon. :D

studlymandingo

Commander

You are talking about a cable-system and not hydraulic correct?

If you grab the outboard and try to move it side-to-side, is there any play there? You could have some issues with the steering tube or yoke.​