how do you replace a livewell pump?

deputysheriff24

Recruit
i have a 05 tracker 165. i need to replace the livewell pump for the third time. i want to do it myself because i can't afford to keep taking it back to the dealer for this same problem. i bought the boat brand new in june 05 and this is the third pump to go out. the lip of the transom on the inside of the hull is blocking me from pulling out the top of the pump. does anyone know of a way to get the whole pump out? the pump is suppose to be able to just replace the guts and not the shell, but i have to take the shell out anyway and i can't figure out how to do that because of the transom block.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: how do you replace a livewell pump?

can't be exactly sure on your specific boat but.......if you were to unscrew (or loosen) the thru-transom fitting from the outside, should enable you to reorient the pump in such a way as to clear whatever is blocking you. I'm not 100% sure but I doubt if that pump has to be mounted straight up & down...I mean if you installed it leaning over one way or the other, you might be able to access it without loosening it. If the there's room for the discharge hose. and if it won't put it too low in the bilge where water might get it.

I use 3M 5200 to seal thru-hull fittings like that, others say 4200 is better as it's less permanent, I never had any trouble with it though.

wonder why your pumps keep breaking?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Can you take a picture of your pump? I have Rule pumps for my bait tank and wash down and the "guts" just pop off the top leaving the body intact.

deputysheriff24

Recruit

the guts are what i can not get to pop out. the transom inside the hull is about an inch that stick out and the livewell pump is mounted just under it. i tried to turn it, but i am afraid i might break it off. i have disconnected the hose, but i cannot find where it connects to the hull. very hard to get to inside the hull. the pump is is the bottom of the boat at the very back. can't seem to find a screw on outside that would loosen the pump to remove it.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Usually the intake pipe is threaded where it goes thru the hole in the transom, and the piece of trim on the outside is actually a nut that screws onto the pipe, holding it to the transom - but I can't say for sure that's how the '05 tracker works. Could be, the base is attached from the inside & the guts have to come off first. If somebody who knows for sure doesn't jump in here pretty soon, there's lots of tracker owners active over on www.texasfishingforum.com

Ever fish Wallace Lake? In the 80's I used to go out there couple times a week.

deputysheriff24

Recruit

i finally got it off. i had to take the plastic cover off of the outside of the transom and unscrew it from there. it was trial and error. i decided that i was going to do it like that and it would either work or get broke more. it worked though. it screwed to the pump itself. it is easier to take the whole pump out and replace than just the guts. you have to take the whole pump out anyway just to get to the guts. i will never buy another aluminum tracker as long as i live. this thing is a pain in the butt.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

just be sure to seal it up good with 5200.

ever figure out why you keep burning up pumps?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So...what make of pump is this?

deputysheriff24

Recruit

it is the mayfair 500 gph pump. i was told by the head of tracker marine maintenance here that sometimes things will get sucked into the pump and lockup the motor, even with the filter screen i had put on for this purpose. he also said that when the boat hull is really hot and i put it in the water, it cools so fast that it will crack the pump housing and cause water to get in the guts and short it out. funny though, my bilge pump sits lower than the livewell pump and it is the same type of pump and it has never went out. i hate these tracker boats. i also have to keep the storage areas open when it is out of the water because the inside will "sweat" and mildew everything. i was told this after i mildewed 2 life jackets. NEVER buy from Bass Pro Shops. stay with a private dealer instead. oh yeah, i also had to have the oil reserve tank replaced 3 times before they put in a good one. i was told it was a "bad batch." i have had it in the shop 7 times since i bought it off the showroom floor in june 05.