disposing of old glass boat

Ol Yank

Cadet
Any suggestions as to how I can dispose on an old fiberglass 16 footer? It is not seaworthy and has no value to the boat angel (donation) orgs. I tried my local auto salvage yard and they will not accept it. It is on a trailer that is functional.

Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: disposing of old glass boat

Park it at the end of your driveway with easy access and a sign saying $500. Next morning it will be gone -- someone will have stolen it. If you say "free" it will never disappear.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

If it is a brand with a little history (Glastron, ChrisCraft, etc.) I would say ebay with no reserve.

If it is TRULY worthless then break out a chain saw and send it to the dump in pieces. Check with your sanitation dept. first though.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Park it at the end of your driveway with easy access and a sign saying $500. Next morning it will be gone -- someone will have stolen it. If you say "free" it will never disappear.

Now thats funny !!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ebay the trailer and include the boat.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In northern Illinois, haul it to the landfill; pay $40. The peg-foot dozer will yank it off the trailer, roll up and down once and it is a 4" fiberglass pancake. When acquiring these valuable derelicts, just figure in the disposal fee. On some of them it is a deal breaker, especially the FREE ones.:D

Bondo

Staff member

If the Trailer even Looks somewhat usable,.......

Put it on the front lawn with a For Sale sign on it,........
Somebody Will buy it,.......

Then They can Landfill it...............
Or,......
They'll try to Rebuild it,+ Will probably show up Here asking How to Do it...........;)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

There is a waterside restaurant about 25 miles from me that has an old glass hull in front of it. They use it as a giant planter for a floral display. Actually looks good.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

haul the boat to the landfill, keep the trailer for a utility trailer, or sell it and recoup the land fill charge.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I have toyed with the idea of sinking it as artificial cover. I imagine you would need a permit from DNR or something, or better yet, just cover your tracks well.:D If we have the chance again to get a free boat with a motor to part out, I will look into that idea a bit more. Although, for you, it may be more trouble than its worth. My local lake is a silt bowl with no cover/structure. Deep cover is what we need. The DNR has been cutting down lots of trees to provide cover along the shoreline, but it does nothing for the deep water winter bass.