Boat lift remote control

rockyrr

Cadet
I'm having a Magnum 10,000 lb boat lift installed. I'm considering adding their remote control option. Does any forum member wish to comment on the advantages/disadvantages? Anybody have a remote on their lift?

Thanks,
Rocky

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boat lift remote control

How do you plan to keep it from floating away til you get to it?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think it would be a very nice feature. especially in a tidal area, where you would launch at high tide , and return at low tide. also be nice to raise the lift after launching, to get it out of the water. garage door opener for the boat.

flashback

Captain

At first I thought it sounded like a great feature, but if it truly is like a garage door opener then maybe its not such a good idea. on rare occations a garage door will open from a stray signal. This could be a very bad thing..depending on how things are wired up.. I have a small 4000# lift and there are no limit switches on it. it will lift the boat up until it shoves it thru the roof if your not there to turn the switch off..anyway, let us know what you find out and good luck

tashasdaddy

most of the lift controls, i've seen have a disconnect next to them. so when not in use they can not be activated, usually lockable. i can't imagine not having a limit switch.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I would assume that you want to lower your boat from the living room so that it's in the water when you get to it. What else would a remote be good for? There certainly is no point in carrying a remote in your boat. If you're in your boat, the lift is down. What would be the point of lifting it out of the water without the boat on it, then lowering it again so you can put your boat back on? Otherwise a remote for a lift would be about as useful as a remote for a toilet flusher. Am I missing something?

tashasdaddy

WBW, where i see them is in the keys, where boarding is very hard when the boat is all the way down. you board, and lower the boat, come in and raise the boat. the house i stay at there, i have to climb down a ladder 4 feet to get to the gunnel, at low tide.

rockyrr

Cadet

Most the the feedback I've received, here and from other forums, indicates that remotes can be useful (I agree, not a real necessity; in fact, for most of us, having a boat is not a necessity). Here's one response:

"We love our remote. At our condo the rules state that once you leave the lift it should be raised to help prevent damage to the slips and dock from waves banging them around under water. With a remote that's simple to do."

tashasdaddy

rockyrr, your wrong, a boat is an absolute necessity. i have 7.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The trickest part about using a lift is holding the boat in the correct position while raising the lift. A remote (or a helper) makes this easier. Also, raising the lift when you are out boating, keeps if from banging around and rusting. Again to do this, you need a remote or a helper.

On the other side of this issue, dropping the remote overboard or kicking it around the boat is got to be hard on it.