bilge pump install under I/O

seismicdiva

Recruit
I would like to replace and install a new bilge pump/float switch in my boat. I have a 5.0 V8 Volvo Penta SX Cobra I/O in my Chris-Craft 19 Concept. Does anyone out there who knows the best way to access the bilge area. There is barely any room for me to get my hand through to reach the pump and switch under the engine yet alone getting to the bottom of the bilge. The only way I can see my replacement going in there is by taking it to a mechanic which I'm trying to avoid. Any suggestions? Thanks!

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: bilge pump install under I/O

When I replaced mine, I took the back seat out. Chances are you'll need to do the same. Make sure you have your epoxy and what not if your using a new or different base. You can either take the back seat out yourself, or pay someone $90/hr to do it for you...

seismicdiva

Recruit

Thanks for the helpful info:) ...any particular epoxy you'd recommend for that job since I'm switching from an Attwood to a Rule it will probably have a different base.

Coors

Captain

Not 5200, but why is it not mounted to a vertical surface, up off the bottom, away from the trash?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I used epoxy that was made by JB weld.It is holding great.Mounted pump as far back in the bilge as i could get.The rule pump has a screen inside to catch the trash.I was lucky,8 screws and my back seats and engine housing are out.Easy access to the whole inside of the transom.
Also a good idea to use the liquid electrical tape on the connections..:D

seismicdiva

Recruit

imported_Coors - The pump and float switch were installed there by the previous owner probably because it has a very deep-v...the bilge is pretty deep so it can fill up quite a bit before the switch kicks on..don't know how many vertical surfaces there are under there..I'll have to check on that.

Gary H NC - thanks for the info:) ..I think I've seen JB weld at Home Depot..hope removing mine is just as easy..any special tools required for removal?

DHPMARINE

Captain

You might be able to mount your pump to an aluminum bracket (self - made) and then screw the bracket down,or attach with below the surface silicone sealer.

DHP

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I think epoxy works the best. You can get the marine kind that's white, or hardware stores usually have grey. It's a tube within a tube. You cut off what you'll need, and mix it with your fingers until it's all the same color. You'll also need acetone or laquer thinner or MEK or whatever "no residue" solvent you might have and some sandpaper. Clean the area where you're going to mount it thoroughly. If it's wet, make sure it's dry. If it's in an area where water can run into the install site before the epoxy can set up, you can use plumbers putty to build a circular dam around the area, then clean inside the dam. Once it's dry, scratch it up good with some sandpaper, wipe it one last time, mix your epoxy and set the base. Avoid the temptation of mounting the pump until the cure time for whatever you used has elapsed.

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class

uhhhhhhhh.....if you plan on using anykind of bracket to hold that pump or float...br careful when mounting it......my buddy put 2 screws all-the-way through the hull...hahahahahha...still makes me laugh......so just use glue...lol

PeterSonora

Recruit

Hi All

Newbee here and I have searched the forums for this bilge subject. I just picked up a family member's Mobius today to do some general maintenance on it. The bilge is inop. I'll look at the electrical tomorrow.

Seeing if anyone can help with a picture of the bilge location. In doing some reading here, this does not look like a fun replacement!

Thanks in advance!
Pete

chiefalen

Captain

Peter it is a better idea to start your own thread.

renken83

Cadet

Probably a good idea to add a little silicone to any holes you might add if you decide to screw it down.

Nandy

Commander

the pump I installed in my Babcock had an uption to be attached to the hull bottom or the transom/deck. Everything I saw this time only has holes to be mounted to the hull bottom. I was thinking on making a bracket but I think the epoxy option is better. Thanks for the info!!!