Slippery Dock Steps

LongJohnSilver

Seaman Apprentice
I need to add some kind of material to the steps on my dock since they get slippery occasionally. Is anyone aware of a material for this specific purpose or will I need to improvise with some kind of heavy sandpaper type substance?

xtraham

Lieutenant
Re: Slippery Dock Steps

stick on non skid tape
any marine supplier will have it

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Home Depot or Lowes has some non-skid tape for ladders. Sandpaper one one side and has addhesive on the other for self sticking. I bought some to put on my ramp door on my enclosed trailer, works great.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LJS - are the steps bare wood or are they painted now? If they're painted & the paint is in good shape, the sticky strips the guys mentioned above will work good. If they are bare, you can let the wood dry out & apply some of that truck-bed liner material to the treads & noses. That stuff is real tough has a good texture.

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good paint stores sell Pumis, like sand,, paint the steps once and sprinkle the pumic (Vulcanic Dust) liberaly onto wet paint. Repaint after dry. Makes for a good slip resistant surface.

xtraham

Lieutenant

tiller7104 said:
Good paint stores sell Pumis, like sand,, paint the steps once and sprinkle the pumic (Vulcanic Dust) liberaly onto wet paint. Repaint after dry. Makes for a good slip resistant surface.

hope you got some for the basement steps...8)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can get a textured rubber cap that goes over the step.
Many home improvement store and some hardware stores carry them.

Camping World even sells glow in the dark non skid tape.

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL yea right.....that was a good one.....what do they call that an "OXY MORON" Oxe yes Moron Definatly LOL

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

why not buy some non skid mats, cut the to fit the steps, and attach with stainless screws.