Help!! Boating for Dummies!!

jozer5307

Cadet
I am new to boating, I was just given an 1983 Bayliner
85 Force that I am getting out of the shop this weekend
fresh off a tuneup. I have never launched a boat myself.
I was wondering if someone could tell me how I do this?
What do I do once it is in the water? How do I lower the engine? Do I need to choke start the engine to start it?
Do I just turn the key? Also when I add the oil to the gas do I just pour it in the gas tank? Do I need to mix it with something? As you can see I'm new to boating and need someone to help walk me through launching the boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Re: Help!! Boating for Dummies!!

I second bringing along an experienced boater! "How do I lower the engine??!! How do I start the engine??! EEK!!" :% Seek help the 1st time out...maybe the 2nd time too. ;)
DON'T FORGET THE PLUG!
DON'T FORGET THE PLUG!
DON'T FORGET THE PLUG!
DON....you know! ;)

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!
Oh...and welcome to iboats8)

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Plug...

Plug it in where? Is this done before turning the key?

jozer5307

Cadet

I don't have anyone else to bring along with me. The boat was a gift from my dad before he left the country. I just wish that someone would please answer some of my questions besides telling me about the plug!

ricksrster

Commander

There are allot of little things to do to get the boat in the water.
When you get to the ramp site go to the prep area or an area away from the ramp. Put your plug in the back drain. Unplug your trailer lights. Take off you tie down straps. Leave your winch hooked to the boat. Load everythimg you are taking with you now in the prep area. Do anything else you have to do before you launch. Pump the fuel line bulb until it is hard now.You don't want to waste time on the ramp/ When everything is ready, back down the ramp until the back part of the boat floats off the bonks or the rollers. Now you can either pull your boat off the trailer with ropes and secure it to the dock far enough out of peoples way, or you can power launch. To power launch disconnect the winch. Lower the motor by tilting forward a little and unlatching the tilt lock. Shifter shoud be in neutral. If you have a fast idle lever, raise it. Push in the choke button or ignition key if choke is on ignition key while turning key to start. When engine starts release the choke and lett idle for a minute or so. Lower the fast idle lever. Put shift slowly in reverse and drive boat off the trailer. Tie off boat to dock and park you vehicle. Promptly get back in your boat and idle away until you out of the no wake zone. Open up the throttle and have fun. To retrieve at end of the day. Reverse the above procedure. When you pick up your motor from the shop, ask the man any questions you have, Especially about how to lower the motor.

QC

Supreme Mariner

jozer,

There is so much. Let's assume that you are going to take it out no matter what. Soooooo, here's what you need to do. Read this thread:

Force Starting

and this one:

Just good stuff

and especially this one:

Beginners Advice

Also, if you can, go down to your local launch ramp without the boat or park it in the lot and chill for a while. Go to the courtesy dock and just sit there and watch. You will spot the smart, experienced guys/gals . . . do what they do. You will spot the knuckleheads, they will sound and act like they are knuckleheads . . . learn what not to do from them!

Good luck!! Be safe! Know the wind, don't fight it, use it!! Remember, no brakes!!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

You could always hire a captain or instructor to show you this stuff. Inquire at a local boat dealer or marine store. Very worthwhile actually.

Kelly

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

It also helps to go to the ramp at an off time, i.e. weekday or early am., or whatever for your particular ramp. If you avoid the crowd, you won't feel rushed. If you make a list, on paper, of your procedure you can follow it when you get there and use it the first few times until you get used to everything. You can mentally launch your boat between now and then to make sure you didn't forget anything. Just take your time and triple check everything. I also echo QC, don't be a dock rager. The only person in control of the boat is you. If things get hairy, don't rage at anyone. If you come in a little hard, learn from it, don't yell at your "helper(s)". When you come back, remember to approach the dock as fast as your wiling to hit it, i.e. nice and slow...

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

And take someone with you. If you've never driven a boat... well it's not like a car.

You may need someone to hold the lines, grab the dock, fend off a piling or a million other things. Preferrably this will be someone who can remain calm in a hectic situation. Things happen fast on boats.

Good Luck!!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You're getting a lot of very good advice. I would add that you might consider a boating certification course if you can find one locally. If you need a mentor, visit your favorite lake and try to strike up a conversation with an older fisherman/boater and ask for some teaching/learning time...most folks are more than willing to share their knowledge/experience if you have the time to invest learning.

studlymandingo

Commander

First off, check out the force unit. They are known to be a little "quirky" and they are no longer in production. Check everything out thoroughly, first the compression; you should have pretty even readings across the board give or take a couple of pounds difference per cylinder. CHANGE YOUR IMPELLER! Very important if you have no knowledge of the last time it was replaced. It is cheap insurance, only takes a very short while to burn your engine to a crisp! I change mine every season!

Once you are convinced the boat will get you out and get you back, look into these people http://nws.cgaux.org/index.html They will give a free safety inspection of your vessel, and give you a course on safe boating.

Enjoy your new rig, save this forum in your favorites (you're gonna need some help from time to time with the Bayliner/Force setup). Good luck, let us know how your adventures unfurl! d:)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Don't start the motor unless it is full down in the water or damage to the water pump will happen.

1) Practice tilting motor up and down so you know how it works.

2) Practice backing up with a trailer in an empty parking lot before going to the boat ramp. What are you towing the boat with?

3) Know how all the straps go on and off that hold the boat to the trailer.

4) Put your wallet, keys and cell phone in a tupperware container just in case the boat sinks, you will have that stuff.

5) Make sure you have a life preserver and be wearing it.

6) Launching: Remove all straps from boat and leave the winch strap connected. Have a line tied to a front chock or mooring bit and also a rear chock and coiled where you can reach it from the bow (front). Back down ramp until rear tires are under water and/or you notice the boat start to float. Stop and apply parking brake. Release winch strap and disconnect from bow. Grab line from bow and shove boat free/clear of trailer. Toss line to someone on dock to tie the boat up. Go park trailer. Then get in your boat, lower motor, start motor (pump fuel bulb, open tank vent, press choke button), warm up with high idle lever up until it runs with lever in full down. Untie from dock, shove off, select gear (forward or reverse) and idle away from dock.

7) Follow all the rules and regulations that apply to boating. Have your up to date boating lisence and boat registration with you so you won't get a ticket on the water. Be sure to follow the bouy markers and know what the colors and which side to be on. Be sure to follow the rules for passing and who has right-of-way on the water. Be sure to pay attention to engine speed, tach, water temp and pressure gauges and be ready to shut down if there are any indications of problems. Be sure to have proper size anchor, line, etc and know how to use it. Be sure to check boat for a bilge pump and know how to turn it on when water comes in. Be sure to know to negotiate big wake without flipping or sinking the boat. Be sure your boat insurance is paid up.

8 ) Oh yeah, be sure your life insurance is paid up because you sure as hell have no business being out on the water. Take a boating course before you kill yourself or someone else.

Drrockter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We had a nice popular lake to go on that was nice and deep. I found a friend that was experienced and could walk us through launching. I live in Wisconsin, and we went in April. It was about 40 degrees in the morning when we went. So, there was no one around I make sure to let people know when I launch that I'm new and often let people go ahead of me so I don't create a backup. Most people are understanding and offer to help.

My wife and I found a nice lake here in Eagle that we frequent, and before we launched there we took and afternoon and watched the launch on Memorial day. I knew where people prepped, waited in line and recovered before the boat even went near the launch. I also checked out the ramp to see how it was constructed.

I also put my drain plug in before I leave the house. It's attached to the boat keychain. So far we have never had a problem. And we got our first boat in March.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get some muffs and run the engine before you go to the lake. The muffs clamp on the outdrive and connect up to your garden hose. It supplies cooling water to your engine just like it was in the water.

This way you can learn how to start your engine and get familiar with it before you get to the water. (It also helps you find any existing problems before you drive to the water)

When you go to pick up the boat ask about muffs, and have them show you how to hook them up. Really simple, but you want someone to show you.