Planning a Lobster bake

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty133

Cadet
Although i am from maine i have never been to an authentic lobster bake. This comming weekend I would like to plan one on an island in casco bay, but have few questions. Ive read a few different ways to make the acctuall pit such as making a fire nd boiling the lobsters in a pot to steaming them over coals with sea weed. Whcih was is better? The first is obviously quicker. Second we will be spending the night on the uninhabited island, what is the best way to ancor the boat? its a 20 ft four winns so its a little big to beach. Im thinking anchor off the bow, allow very little scope and then bring an aux anchor to shore off the stern. Will this work? If there is anything else i missed let me know. Thanks guys

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Planning a Lobster bake

Well steaming the lobster is really good with some mayonaise, but they have to be boiled live as it keep the taste, but the nicest way to do lobster is to butterfly and marinade it with lemon butter and garlic for about an hour and then grill it on hot coles ... yum yum .... but hey what does this have to do with boats? .... got me all hungry there ..... a 20ft four winns should be fine to beach .... I have a 26ft interceptor that I beach all the time .... no problem as long as you have buddies there to help you push it out into the deep again ....

Casco Bay Outrage

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are going to Jewel Island?

Make sure you have permission/permit since everyone is very sensitive to fires on the islands.

Our annual island labor day lobsterbake on the beach (200+ people) is a tradition.

We dig a really big pit (size it down to your party) and line the bottom with flat rocks. Once the fire has burned down and you have a good bed of coals, throw on a grate (we use bars from WW I Fort buildings). Use a small metal garbage can full of seawater and boil till bright red.

We also cook up some whole fish (triple wrap in foil), boil some hot dogs (red casings), eggs, corn on the cobb, potatoes, clams, mussels.

Melt alot of butter.

For dessert, blueberry sheet cake.

Add your favorite beverages, throw down a large blanket, break out the utensiles (lobster crackers, picks etc)

Seperate post on anchoring below

Casco Bay Outrage

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On anchoring, check the winds/tides so you can pick a good side of the island.

As for scope, it can depend on the area in which you set. Two anchor system would work.

I often use my anchor as a outhaul. Have the line loop through the chain shackle. Set the anchor and back down. Tie off to one side, take the end to shore and pull boat out. Tie off end to a tree or fixed point.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

:p:p:p Outrage, you are really doin' it for me. :p:p:p

matty133

Cadet

Thanks guys. Your experience seems to be top rate.

Outrage you guessed it about the island being Jewell. I went out there today and checked out the nice little cove known as cocktail cove. There were 15 sailboats and 3 powerboats all on anchors on a monday nite! It was dead low tide and the water was about 10 feet deep with zero waves and a slight current.
There were some fire pits on the island that i noticed. Since its a state owned island who should I get the permit from? Ill be calling around tomorrow.
As far as anchoring im going to drop two anchors off each side of the bow then take a line off the stern to shore. Perhaps this is overkill but who cares if i have the gear. I figure better safe then sorry.

Paul Moir

Admiral

The two most common mistakes I see are not enough salt and boiled too long. If you avoid both those things you'll do just fine. The water should be as salty as the water the lobsters live in, so ocean water is ideal. They're done when they're bright red and float to the top which only takes a few minutes.

I don't know about steamed lobsters. Must be something you do with southern Atlantic ones. :D Mayonaise w/ cold and butter (or nothing) w/ hot lobster is my personal preference - mayonaise doesn't properly stick to hot boiled lobster.

Have a couple rums and try the bodies if you haven't already. ;)

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Paul said:
The two most common mistakes I see are not enough salt and boiled too long. If you avoid both those things you'll do just fine. The water should be as salty as the water the lobsters live in, so ocean water is ideal. They're done when they're bright red and float to the top which only takes a few minutes.

I don't know about steamed lobsters. Must be something you do with southern Atlantic ones. :D Mayonaise w/ cold and butter (or nothing) w/ hot lobster is my personal preference - mayonaise doesn't properly stick to hot boiled lobster.

Have a couple rums and try the bodies if you haven't already. ;)

Yeah sorry, I'm talking about the cape rock lobster (aka crayfish) from the very cold atlantic here in South Africa, we do it a bit different and it looks different (doesn't have those big claws) we boil it in the water you catch it in, and boil it live for exactly 17 minutes from when start of boiling .....

ObiwanKenobi

Cadet
Old thread, but for those checking for ideas... Mix some basil with some butter ahead of time and freeze it. Then just steam those guys. Melt the basil butter and give each person their own personal little bowl of it for dipping. Perfection.

southkogs

Staff member
With that bit of Jedi wisdom, we'll close the topic.

"General Kenobi, you read the forum rules with my father back in the iBoats Wars. Now he asks that no longer post in topics older than 90 days unless you're the original poster. Help us Obi Wan Kenobi ... you're our only hope."

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.