Can I Connect a tow rope here?

tedder

Seaman Apprentice
Can I full an inflatable toy from these transom points? I'm assuming I can't pull a skier and need a ski tripod or something?

Thanks, Theo

P1020462.jpg

MRS

Commander
Re: Can I Connect a tow rope here?

You should have the same thing on the other side (starboard) get a ski harness at any marine shop and it will work great. Just ask them for it and they will tell you what it is they might even have them here at I boats check it out.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

You can pull from there. You'll notice the boat wanting to pull tothat side, but it's easy enough to compensate with the steering wheel. The harness allows for a pull from the center and doesn't mess with the steering nearly as much.

tedder

Seaman Apprentice

I should have mentioned that there is one on each side. I've see the ski harness and will get one now but was wondering about the capacity of the transom to pull a skier.
I guess I'd be ok? and not damage the transom.

Thanks

tangent

Seaman

You should have no problem pulling a skier.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The engine is bolted to the transom and it is somewhere around 1.5 inches thick. That is a perfect place to pull from and since your transom eyes are at their elevation, it makes for a nice level spot for pulling where the bow doesn't want to come up and get in your way that can happen when you pull from a ski bracket mounted on the deck.

Sounds like you are new to boating/skiing. A couple of pointers.

1. Get the polyethylene rope and the harness should have a float on it where it rolls back and forth. Keeps the rope out of the prop. But poly only lasts for about 1 season if you ski much.

2. Single handle harnesses are great for double skiis but it takes an experienced skiier to get up on a slalom with one; however, this experienced skiier can slalom better (do more tricks) with the single handle once up. Get a double handle for slalom training.

3. If you are skiing kiddo's get a life jacket with a crotch strap so that the lifejacket can't come up over their head if they fall the wrong way. BTDT

4. When anyone is around the rear of the boat, WATCH THE PROP!!!

Have fun,

Mark

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I'd like to add a safety tip I always observe. Anytime you're getting a skier back into the boat, don't only turn the key off, take it out.

tedder

Seaman Apprentice

I appreciate the info…

Mostly plan on pulling adults (and the occasional teen) in an inflatable and maybe an experienced skier a few times. A few of my buddies are experienced skiers/boaters so there will always be a qualified person on the scene. Been around boats for many many years but always as the passenger (its so much easier being the guest!). I’m extremely safety conscious and aware of the safety precautions that must be taken but again I appreciate the advice and the safety reminders.

I also need to get a ladder before any towing happens.

Thanks

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

It has been a few years, but there used to be 2 ski harness setups. One had a pulley, the other was a solid strap. Skip the pulley and go for the 1 piece design--it gives the skier a better feel of control.