Buy used boat. What to look for on I/O motor/drive?

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will soon be looking at a Bayliner Capri 1950 with an 135hp mercruiser.<br />I have never had an I/O before. What should I check before buying?<br />Is the motor cooled with a closed water system like a car or does it take the water from outside?<br />The guy with the boat mentioned a fan not working. It was a fan there was suppose to run before starting the motor. Any ideas what it will/could cost to fix that?<br /><br />Regards<br />MikeMike

BobZ

Cadet
Re: Buy used boat. What to look for on I/O motor/drive?

Mike,<br />Have a compression test done on the engine. Compare the PSI reading for each cylinder. They should all be within 10% of each other. Your mechanic should know the specification for a new engine and also write down the information for your files. It is sort of like your doctor knowing what you blood pressure was ten years ago - just in case.<br /><br />Also, look at the oil in the motor for signs of moisture. <br /><br />You don't say how old the motor is or if it is a saltwater boat or fresh water boat. The manifold and riser could be a problem on an older boat. That would be an expensive replacement.<br /><br />Check the out drive for water in the oil. <br /><br />My guess is that the cooling system is raw water rather than an enclosed system. Ask the mechanic.<br /><br />The fan you mention is meant to vent the air from the motor/bilge area with fresh air before you start the engine. The danger is gas fumes that might explode from a stray spark when you start the engine Such a fan would cost maybe $40.00. It might also be a fuse or switch problem.<br /><br />Find a mechanic you have confidence in and tell him to be looking out for your best interest.

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for the help.<br />I will have a comp test done. The boat is from 1995 and have been used in brackish water here in the Indian river.<br />So basically I have to check the same things as I would do on an outboard? There are no special parts on the drive that would wear out or leak that I should be aware of?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ask about the outdrive impellar and when it was (if ever) replaced. This is a critical part of the cooling system. It should be replaced at least every two years, it tend to dry up and deteriate. If the guy reponds oh it works fine then rephrase the question and ask to have it replaced BEFORE you purchase. Look over the skeg and prop for signs of bottom damage. Also since it is an I/O check to make sure the guages work properly and MOST of all take it out for a test run if you can. Don't let a lapsed registration excuse be used...take it for a short spin.<br /><br />Bob :)

jocko_nc

Seaman

Isn't a compression test usually more associated with a 2 stroke engine? I would consider the viability of an I/O boat engine more like I would that of a car. That is what they are, more or less. I typically would not look at compression as the primary indicator of engine condition for a car engine.<br /><br />Your thoughts.<br /><br />jocko

chiefmike58

Seaman

Definitly check compression on engine as well as lower unit water pump, all bellows, hydraulic lines, etc. That engine may be freshwater cooled, which means it will have its own antifreeze and a heat exchanger which also should be checked, or it may be raw water cooled which is more like an outboard.

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ohh well... We decided to go and buy a brand new bayliner instead. And when we came to the dealer we saw this nice Regal 1800 and we were both sold. That is a beauty of a bowrider. It comes with a i/o 190hp volvo and lifetime warrenty on hull and deck. If (when) we decide to sell it again the buyer will get 5 year warrenty. That's pretty cool. We will get the test ride Friday and bring it home after that. Boy, will we do some boating next weekend:)<br />Of course I will love to hear opinions about Regal boats, but I better start that in another thread after we have tried it out.<br /><br />Regards<br />Mike

GarageGuy42

Seaman

Obviously the posts haven't been looked over very well!

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Obviously the posts haven't been looked over very well!
:confused: Not sure I understand what you mean.