Twin outboards steering (Docking)

mrom1234567

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Any input on twin outboard steering?<br />I know how to pivot my boat with one in reverse and one in forward to pivot.<br />But what about moving the boat a few feet to the left or right? When docking.<br />Are there differetn positions to turn the motors to making docking easier?<br />Any input would be great.<br />Can anyone explain the mechanics of docking.<br />Michael

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Twin outboards steering (Docking)

The main thing is to be SLOW untill you get it down.No brakes...just take your time and get used to it..

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Don't approach a dock any faster than you are willing to hit it. :eek: :eek: ..... :D

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by Reel Poor:<br /> Don't approach a dock any faster than you are willing to hit it. :eek: :eek: ..... :D
Very,.... Very Good Advice................... ;) :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remember no BRAKES, don't count on reverse as a brake. you never know when the engines is going to just up and stall when shifting. practicing at an empty dock during the week is the best way to learn how your boat handles.. you will get to where you can park it just like a car. you have to know how to manover between two boats.

mattttt25

Commander

unless you have a power cat, where the outboards are usually mounted far apart, i would treat a twin outboard boat exactly like a single. learn the pivot point and practice standard docking procedures..... approach at 45 degrees or more (too many people try to approach parallel to the dock, which is wrong). go slow. turn hard away from dock. as bow comes around, go neutral and drift in. then reverse steering and go to reverse for a few seconds. you should be there.<br /><br />trying to use twin outboards like a twin inboard scenario is a mistake in my opinion.

QC

Supreme Mariner

FWIW I have a friend with a Grady 28 with twin OBs and he says he uses the motors more than steering for low speed manuevering . . .