Rust test-WD-Silicone-Starbrite-Boeshield

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
4 motorcycle clutch springs. Soaked in mineral spirits, wired to cardboard. Sprayed WD-40, silicone, Starbrite Fog oil, and Boeshield. Did my best to spray just the outer 2-3 coils. Worked ok on the WD-40 -silicone (top in first photo). The Starbrite came out a little to quick, and it covered 1/2, and I Boeshield'ed the other half. So the spring in the top photo has nothing in the middle.<br />Results of sticking it out protected from above in the rainy winter we had in Washington State are as shown. Sat out 5 months. The crossed out bottom lettering is from me writing it down, then grabbing the wrong can.<br /> The WD held up the best, as did the Starbrite fog oil. Silicone provided little if any protection, and the greatest little can of expensive snake oil, Boeshield, is starting to rust. Nuff said. Cheapest (WD) held up JUST FINE!<br /> 1st photo all 4, 2nd WD left, silicone right (nothing in middle), 3rd Starbrite left, junk Boeshield on the right. End of argument. And I did NOT fudge on amounts..soaked spring in all.<br /><br />
All4.jpg
<br /><br />
WD-Silicone.jpg
<br /><br />
Starbright-Boeshield.jpg

rattana

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rust test-WD-Silicone-Starbrite-Boeshield

I am with ya on the WD40. It is great stuff.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I buy it by the gallon.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I wash with it in the shower every morning. (now there's a testimonial!) :D <br /><br />Seriously, I use WD40 extensively too, but recently bought a product called Jigaloo (not sure if it's available in USA? ...and yes I'm serious). It has a real nice citrus smell and makes it better for indoor use. It's kind of unique because you can use it on boots and shoes for weather proofing ...and even leather jackets!

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

So, you would use WD-40 to keep things from rusting?

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like the cardboard held up pretty well too!