Bass Tracker fuel tank removal

How can I remove the built-in 23 gal fuel tank from a 2001 Bass Tracker model 175XT? Removing both batteries and all connections does not seem to allow room to maneuver the tank out of the compartment. lsritchey@att.net :confused:

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bass Tracker fuel tank removal

Can you post one or more pictures? That would help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't think there are many below deck tanks that can be removed without removing the floor.

I don't have a way to send pictures. The only deck that is not easily removable is the aft deck covering the fuel tank. I need to work on the live well aerator pump, and the fuel tank is in the way. Are there any other secrets to getting to that pump? I'm short, and my arms bend the wrong way.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here goes. Do you have carpeting over the pump? Could you use a BIG hole saw right over the pump or a little off center, without damage to wires or hoses? If you can see and take tape measurements. It may be a piece of cake.----edit You may need a Plumbers holesaw to make the hole big enough to get the pump out with the fittings still on it.

Smedley

Cadet

Warbucks, I've got a call to help in from a guy that works for Tracker Marine. I will post his suggestions, if he has any.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Warbucks:<br /> I don't have a way to send pictures. The only deck that is not easily removable is the aft deck covering the fuel tank. I need to work on the live well aerator pump, and the fuel tank is in the way. Are there any other secrets to getting to that pump? I'm short, and my arms bend the wrong way.
I bought a 1991 Astro and the dealer replaced the same pump. They told me it would take a full day due to the problems accessing the pump. They were able to service it without removing the tank. I'd think being short would be an advantage since you can work yourself down into that area through the access holes ;)

cyclops2--The pump is in the bilge well, right in frony of the bilge pump. There is an aluminum transom bracing shelf extending about 10 inches in from the transom--the front edge is amost directly on top of the back edge of the fuel tank. Can't reach from behind the transom, and the fuel well lid hinge is riveted on, preventing me from reaching from onboard.<br />Thanks, Smedley. Maybe there's a way the pros do it that's not obvious to me.

Smedley

Cadet

He's supposed to get back to me today sometime. He didn't get my message until he was home last night.

Richard Petersen

Sounds like someone is going to NEATLY remove the Aluminum shelf? Would that let you get to the pump?

cyclops2: The transom bracing shelf is welded on. I don't have the capability to take that on. The fuel well lid hinge is riveted. I guess I could drill the rivets, then replace them when I'm done--maybe with sheet metal screws (aluminum) for the next time.

Smedley

Cadet

Warbucks, <br /><br />the guy still hasn't gotten back to me, sorry. I'll keep trying to reach him.

Richard Petersen

Warbucks ,If you drill out the rivits, replace them with the same size rivits, diameter and length. HD or Lowes sell pop rivit sets cheap. Rivits do not come loose like screws or nuts and bolts. Rivits are best. Go for it IF you are pretty sure that will give you the right room.