Removing Steering Cable from Helm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,<br /><br />After searching for about an hour, I've yet to find a good description of exactly how to remove the steering cable from the helm on my boat.<br /><br />I've got a 1995 Blue Wave 189T center console, with the Teleflex Safe-T system factory installed.<br /><br />My cable has all but locked up, so I've decided to replace it (10years on 1 cable, not bad for a saltwater boat!).<br /><br />I removed the cable from the outboard side without any trouble. My engine now turns freely without the cable in it, so I suppose it is the cable.<br /><br />Then, I go to take the cable off of the helm. I get under the console, pull out a small 'locking pin', and then try to slide the cable out of the helm. No luck.<br /><br />Is there a trick to getting this cable out of the helm? I am seriously considering just cutting it because I plan to replace the helm and cable all at once. Therefore, it doesn't matter if the cable is stuck in the helm to begin with.<br /><br />However, I'd like to be able to take the cable out of the helm because it would be easier to get the helm off the console if a cut-cable wasn't still in it.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Shawn

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Removing Steering Cable from Helm

Did you turn the wheel after the sheathing was disconnected to run the inner cable out? If that does not work just take the wheel off and disamble the the rack. By the way, on some you have to use the pin to unlock the sheathing from the helm. Maby someone out there has a picture they can post. fred

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I would turn the wheel and try to force the cable out. However, the cable is frozen so the wheel wont turn...thus preventing me from getting the wheel-end of the cable out.<br /><br />I think it is a 'quick-connect' style by Teleflex, but I could be wrong. The boat was made in 1995, so I assume the cable/helm are the same. Did Teleflex make the 'quick-connect' back then?<br /><br />Any other help will be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Shawn

mercury_40hp

Cadet

If you have the safety-quick helm, you need to push the end of the locking clip that you already removed into a small hole near the cable end of the helm which releases the cable's locking mechanism. You need to apply pressure to the clip while you pull on the cable and it should come right out. The locking mechanism that holds the cable into the helm is spring loaded, that's why you have to apply pressure using the locking clip end in the release hole to get the cable out. Good luck, hope that makes sense.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

The pin I pulled out was running parrallel with the cable, and slid into a small slot just on top of the cable.<br /><br />Any idea where the 'release' hole is at for the pin? Or is the release hole and locking hole the same? To lock it just sits in there, and to release you apply pressure towards the helm?<br /><br />I didn't see any other areas I could insert the pin to release the spring loaded mechanism that holds the cable. I was assuming that is why it wouldn't come out. The cable is 'loose', but it won't slide out of the helm, which is what made me think there was a locking mechanism somewhere.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Shawn

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You found the pin in the stowed position. Directions tell you to put it there for when you need it for removal. Somewhere where the sheathing plugs into the control there is a hole that you push it in to release the cable. It is on the side horizontal to the cable towards the outside edge of the sheathing. I have a tough time finding it and i know it is there. good luck fred

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Figured it out.<br /><br />The lock-hole was on the outermost part of the helm, almost looked like a collar that went around the cable. The hole was pretty gunked-up and I couldn't see it until I got to jabbing around with the key.<br /><br />Thanks for the replies, problem solved!<br /><br />SQ

Status
Not open for further replies.