Rack steering for outboard is backwards

kevin11

Recruit
I bought a boat yesterday, when I put it in the water the steering was(is) backwards........ Turn rt, boat/motor turn left. It is a new rack & pinion system hooked to an 85 Johnson on an 74 bowrider. Any help would be appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rack steering for outboard is backwards

Helms are set up so they can be mounted on the right or left side of the boat. When the cable was installed it was installed in the wrong port on the helm.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahaha<br /> it was installed upside down<br /> happens a bunch<br /> remove the rack and the helm then place the helm in the correct orientation. did it to myself once years ago :) <br />the correct one will be 180* from where it is now :)

kevin11

Recruit

Thanks, that makes sense. How do you remove the steering wheel?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Remove the center cap, remove the nut, rock the wheel like crazy and don't hit yourself in the chin when it comes loose. Otherwise a wheel puller works.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used to on cars stick an air chisel with a blunt round bit in the indention on the post... give it a quick rap and the wheel just lifts off. After ya undo the nut of course. :)

kevin11

Recruit

Thanks very much everyone, the job is a success!!

Realgun

Commander

Whiper why break out an air chisel? Back the nut off till its flush with the top of the bolt and wack it with a BFH (Hammer) While pulling on the top and bottom of the wheel.<br /><br />I didnt know Rodbolt had done that? And you did not admit it to me when I posted it in the SHT form. :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

realgun<br /> yep did it on a 17 cajun with an inline 6 merc 150, got home after midnight, installed the new system and left at 6 am for lake chicohominy, ed allens campground. man dropped her off at the ramp, fired it up and dang near ran over a whole line of boats :) :) <br /> ran it like that for two days :) :) .<br /> was a trip, took a bit of concentration.<br /> thats why I tell folks there really aint much you can do that I have not done or seen done in the past 30 years or so with boats.<br />why did I not post it?<br /> cause it aint even close to the dumbest thing I have done. the list is rather long and usually starts with me and so and so were so wasted.<br /> one day ill post about climbing the sandstone cliffs about 3 miles down stream from lake whitney dam :) and even that is most likly not a chart topper :)

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also had steering replaced and it was backwards. I thought I forgot how to steer in reverse when putting in, but quickly figured out the problem. <br /><br />The lake wasn't crowded so for the day I used it before the guy could fix it. I started by putting my hand at the bottom of the wheel and turning..... Then I figured out it was just as easy to STEER AT TROUBLE and the boat went the opposite way.<br /><br />The guy fixed it the next day.

Realgun

Commander

RobBolt I also got the throttle backwards to! :eek:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wont say any thing about the time I failed to get the shift linkage clip on correctly and whacked the dock :) ).<br /> one of the few stupid stunts I did witout an audience.