Redecking a pontoon boat

wdknox

Seaman
I am getting ready to redeck my pontoon boat. I am planning on using treated plywood, but I saw in another post where someone said using AC plywood and putting a coat of resin on it would be just as good for a boat deck. Just wondering if this would apply to redecking my pontoon also.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Redecking a pontoon boat

Use the green treat...that deck will get wet from both sides, a sealer on one side will just speed up the rot...

crab bait

Captain

green treat is some nasty stuff .. when in the sun it dries out , splits, cracks,& wraps badly even if you stay on it with a thomson type sealer.. you'll go the hospital more than once gettin' shards of splinter wood removed from your feet.. believe me this stuff is nasty!! use doug fir exterior ply .. keep dry .. no let get rain on .. before you apply 2 coats of epoxy to both sides AND THE E D G E S !! than if you want to lay down some glass cloth to your topside 2nd coat ,,, that would be good ... it'll turn out like rough canvas as so not to be '' slippery when wet '' good luck..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Tex.<br /><br />Use the treated ply. Soak the edges with epoxy. Coat both sides with Rhino-Liner style truck bedliner before you install it and the top again after installation. Epoxy is too brittle without reinforcing fabric.<br /><br />The user-installed bedliner can be purchased in colors if you want. Select a light color or white, it will stay cool in the sunlight.<br /><br />Do not carpet it. Carpet collects crud and keeps the deck wet too long. The Rhino-Liner hoses clean and dries fast.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

J.B., who sells the white or light grey Rhino type stuff? All I can find is the darker colors. I want to use it to paint the floor of my alum. roughneck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I haven't actually seen it in white, SeaDawg. I have seen it in colors at our local truck customizing shop. Try Pep Boys or NAPA.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

crab bait

Captain

i'll have to admit.. this stuff is the poop ! you guys get an '' ATTABOY '' !

DrBones

Cadet

Finally found the email I was looking for from Cote-L for the white stuff. Here it is...<br /><br />A gallon of white18 (aliphatic urethane for outdoor use) is $117.53 and a<br />quart is $32.89 a 9" stipple roller sleeve is $4.80 and a 4" sleeve is<br />$2.40. Plus shipping.<br /><br />DB

wdknox

Seaman

Thanks for all the replies. The bed liner stuff sounded good to me, but the wife said she wanted carpet in the boat. So I went with the green stuff and glued the carpet on so far so good. Maybe the carpet will last until I get ready to get something else. Again thanks for all the help.

bertherr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A friend of mine used vinyl decking instead of sheets of plywood to re-deck his pontoon. We will see how it holds up. It surely will not rot.