Anchor Size

Hey all! New to boating and we have a Chaparral Signature 300 so 30 feet and loaded, about 12,000 pounds. The anchor that came with it was a 10kg Bruce. Now we have anchored out in sand, mud and some weeds twice now with no issue. Now it was only maybe a high of 12 knots. Anchoring scares me a bit and my question is, what is a good sized anchor for a boat this size to withstand 20 knots? I want to go oversized just to be safe and not have to stress. As much. Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
You are probably on the low end for anchor size . . . maybe go up towards 15 kg . . . That's what I have on my 33 foot boat.

5-7m of chain as well . . .

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
I also have a 15 kg anchor on my 30 ft flybridge cruiser, haven't had any dragging issues in 7 yrs.
i do anchor in sheltered spots though.

All chain,

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When you are in conditions where you need a bigger anchor, they are usually tough to find / buy.

shrew

Lieutenant
10 or 12kg will be fine. 15kg will be overkill, but then again, you'll sleep better at night.

Not a fan of Bruce anchors. I would lean toward a 'new school' anchor. (e.g. Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade, Mantus)

You're rope is too short. The typical recommendation is 7:1 or 8:1, so in 30ft of water you should have out about 250ft of rode. The best anchor in the world will do nothing if the angle is too steep. At the very least, get another 100ft of rode.

Also keep in mind that different anchors hold better in different bottoms. You typically would need a different anchor for a rocky bottom versus a mud buttom.