1998 Chaparral 252 gas shock issues????

chapp252

Cadet
I am looking for gas shocks for my engine compartment. I have purchased two new ones from a “reputable” dealer online but these shocks only last for a short period of time. Something like a week max.
What weight should a be using? I am currently using 37” long x 40lbs...there was two 30lbs before.
what in the world would cause a gas shock to work great when installed but stop working after a few days?!?
Where should I buy good shocks?

tpenfield

Staff member
These struts you mean . . . ?

Gas-Strut-1.JPG
Do you know what was there originally? Maybe they were replaced previously with a lighter strut/spring? 30-40 lbs seems light for an engine cover spring . . . :noidea:

chapp252

Cadet
Yes, those are the gas lifts I am referring to. I do not know what was original. I am hoping someone here does. 🤞🤞

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
stop being impatient. patience is a virtue.

the brands that you want for gas springs are along the lines of Suspa, Bahnsbach and ace controls.

gas springs are simply a nitrogen filled air cylinder. what happens over time the seals leak and the nitrogen escapes.

the ones that initially failed would have had a manufacturer and a part number.

However Chaparral is still in business, the original owner is still behind the scenes and the company has a great customer service department. call them, they can either sell you the original style that lasted many many years or they can point you in the right direction.