2003 Bayliner 3055 Hull design

Homebuoy

Recruit
Hello there, Does anyone know 2003 Bayliner Hull design.? Planning on purchasing boat but surveyor mentioned side hull tone change during test with rubber mallet from stern to bow. Solid at aft then semi solid to almost hollow towards bow. Is it normal for that sound? Is it supposed to be a solid sound from stern to bow? Is Bayliner Hull designed that way? Thanks in advance.

southkogs

Staff member
LOL ... Surveyor can't tell you if that's the way the boat is supposed to be? Isn't that kind of why you pay a surveyor? Does he have a competitor in town?

Sorry to be a stinker there. Welcome aboard.

I'm not a big boat owner, so I don't know enough to help out. But Bayliner is still in business. They could tell you what the layout of the hull should be like. They're pretty responsive when I've needed assistance.

Homebuoy

Recruit
Southkogs... Thanks for response. No competitor in town that I know of but I agree with you about surveyor knowing specs/design of boat they are surveying.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
any surveyor that used a mallet should have followed up with a moisture meter and a FLIR camera shot.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Honestly. Some of these surveyors are unreal. Becoming rare to get one that actually knows what he or she is doing. And not just covering their arse with stupid crap like this. That could be caused by lots of things like stringers and ribs on the hull. Must admit I’ve never known a surveyor to do this and not explain their self.
bayliner is never going to be a great hull but would take with a pinch of salt what some of these guys say. They just don’t ever want anything to come back on them so go OTT. If there was a genuine unexplained variance in hull integrity then he should have looked for and reported signs of hull failure, repair or osmosis. Idiot.

tpenfield

Staff member
Mallet sounding does not mean much. So, you hammer on the hill at the location of a bulkhead and get a solid sound. Then you hammer in between two bulkheads and get a more hollow sound. . .

What’s the big deal :noidea:

As stated moisture meter and FLIR imaging is what would matter more than sounding.