Using the old style adj. clamps for a fuel line or the pincher style?

Expidia

Commander
Last week I ordered this 115 piece pinch type hose clamp kit that comes with a tool too. Amazon around $37. But I sent it back because I thought it was overkill for me.
I figured I'd just keep a few of the adjustable SS clamps on board as its a simple fix for a split fuel line with a knife and an adjustable clamp that tightens down with a screwdriver. But from years using them they seem to cut into the soft rubber fuel lines when you snug them up and cut into the line leaving squares imbedded into the rubber from all the little sharp squares in the band.

The step-less pinch type seem to be a more professional clamping method.

What are the opinions out there on adj vs the pinch type using the pinch pliers. I don't mind buying that pinch clamp kit again if that type of clamping method is superior.
Last year I made up 3 separate fuel line setups for 3 emergency generators which I used around 15 adj ss clamps. I wouldn't mind replacing all those with the pinch type clamps if they are better than the adj type clamps

Thx.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I know new cables come with them but I don't trust them. I like the SS screw clamp. Maybe you are tightening them too tight on soft hoses. All you need to do is put enough pressure against the hose that it can't expand and slip over the peaks of the hose barb.....and the pressure is essentially zip.

Expidia

Commander
I know new cables come with them but I don't trust them. I like the SS screw clamp. Maybe you are tightening them too tight on soft hoses. All you need to do is put enough pressure against the hose that it can't expand and slip over the peaks of the hose barb.....and the pressure is essentially zip.

Thats exactly what I was thinking and why I returned the pincher kit. It's like you said "new hoses come with them". And my 2020 Yamaha outboard came with the Yamaha fuel line assembly and a fuel filter/water separator. Its the line from the separator to the outboard that is sometimes kinking a few inches from the connection to the outboard and then outboard starts clicking and starving for fuel. So I got a tip to use this bendable SS hose sleeve in that section just before the connection. But since I have to chop off the connector and then slide the hose through the sleeve and then re-attach the connector to the hose again, I figured maybe I should use the OEM hose clips as they might be better.

Yes, just snugging the adj clamps enough to squeeze the hose over the barb should do the trick. Thanks for your quick reply Texasmark.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Nothing says “Harry Homeowner” quite like finding hose clamps on a fuel line...

Screw clamps will work in a pinch but are not the best solution.

They do not apply equal pressure around the circumference of the fitting. They also have a tendency to deform and damage the hose over time.

The OE cinch clamps are a much better solution and the only option if working on vacuum or high pressure applications, ie fuel injection

Cinch clamps also have a much lower profile which simplifies installation in tight location.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yx7qgI1qZQQ

Last edited:

harringtondav

Commander
I replace with what the OEM installed. And I am seeing more spring strap constant pressure clamps. These apply the necessary clamp force, and keep it constant if the hose wall compresses under the clamp. I also bought a ratchet clamp pliers to simplify the job.

Expidia

Commander
Nothing says “Harry Homeowner” quite like finding hose clamps on a fuel line...

Screw clamps will work in a pinch but are not the best solution.

They do not apply equal pressure around the circumference of the fitting. They also have a tendency to deform and damage the hose over time.

The OE cinch clamps are a much better solution and the only option if working on vacuum or high pressure applications, ie fuel injection

Cinch clamps also have a much lower profile which simplifies installation in tight location.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yx7qgI1qZQQ

Great vid. Thx. I see why they come OEM as it should provide equal pressure over the fitting barb and its a first class smoother end result. One thing that is always annoying with the adj type is how the end of the band always seem to stick out and its usually sharp. I can see from both comments above each clamping system has their negatives and positives. For one negative with the step less type clamps they are all one time use only and a pain to take back off. I'm going to order the step less kit anyway to have on hand for jobs that are better with that style clamp. I have plenty off ss adj clamps on hand already. And use one to re-attach the fuel line. I like to keep everything OEM too. Also, prefer not to have that sharp band sticking out of the clamp. Around boats I like to limit sharp things especially when we or parts around a boat get wet.