Alternative to angle grinders?

ChargerMan1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, I bought a rainsuit for this grinding/sanding job. I put that on, my gloves (taped my gloves around wrists to keep glass out), my cannister mask, face shield, and boots. Right now it averages about 94 + degrees and lately about 70% humidity. So I practically died in that. I got maybe a 3 foot by 4 foot section done in about 25 min before I had to take everything off. So my question what kind other option is there instead of using my angle grinder which throws a massive amount to of dust. So that way I don't have to wear all that gear and dye from dehydration.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
wait until winter

or suck it up. its 94 plus here and almost 90% humidity, and yes, the grinding portion sucks.

you could try wearing long sleeves and skip the tyvek suit. however you will itch for a minimum of 4 days.

god I hope you ment tyvek suit and not a plastic rain suit.

ChargerMan1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK where is a good place to get a tyvek suit? I've never used one and figured you guys would definitely know a good brand etc

matt167

Captain
They sell them at any home center. 3M is a common brand and inexpensive

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
any home improvement big box store or any paint store.

froggy1150

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So what was do when it's hot is cut the tyvex off just above the knees and just wear jeans.it can hit 120 here and I don't think it's too bad...... DRINK WATER.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
They do make setups to force cool air into the suits and masks. Of course they do cost some, but they will keep you tons cooler. You could rig up some type fan setup to force some air into the suit. Just be careful of what that fan pushes and how far away you need to set that fan and hose setup so you are not funneling the dust into the suit. Air movements will certainly help. When I was grinding my boat out to remove the old glass and such, I had a box type fan blowing directly on me from about three or four feet away. It helped. Grinding fiberglass is just not a pretty or cool thing to do, but has to be done... JMHO

harringtondav

Commander
I have a Porter Cable RO sander/polisher that works great. I use their dust hood which attaches to a vacuum to control dust which seems to collect at least 90% of the dust. Only downsides are you have to handle the dust collection hose, and you're limited to w/in 1/4" of corners.

Porter cable dust hood.jpg

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
When I was grinding on warm days, I wore shorts and a t-shirt under the Tyvek suit. I also used the kind of Tyvek suite with a hood (not having a hood on a suit for grinding fiberglass doesn't make much sense to me, but I know some folks do that).

I am a taller guy, so I had to order my suits from Amazon, but they are cheap and they did the trick. I cannot imagine wrapping up in a rain suit and then grinding on a hot day. You're lucky you didn't have heat stroke!

Good luck with your project!

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
I cant imagine a tyvek suit on a 94 degree day in the sun. I can barely get through painting a car inside at 75 degrees with air moving around me.

Are there any companies that offer stripping ( I’m sure theres places that have strippers but I mean paint strippers) I know some paint shops sublet this to these outfits there set up for it and do a great job because there set up and experienced at it. Just a thought.

I’d get a couple shop lights and start earlier and Work later if your neighbors wont kill you. Sounds like a horror movie or dream any way. 90 degrees sunlight and a grinder I could come up with a good title for that movie. I’m assuming your doing a refinish on a fairly large boat hull.
Like mentioned a DA with a dust collector might allow you to wear less protection on your body I’m told Festool sells one amazing unit but that will make you want to just pay for someone else to do it. There are much lower priced units I will tell you that a quality DA is worth every penny especially when you dont need Carpel tunnel surgery when done. I’m a Hutchins fan myself but theres so many new makes out there to look at.

Things to be aware of
use clean dishes that are cutting a smooth path. People try to save money on sandpaper or grinder disks and they leave waves instead of a nice smooth grind or sand.
Dot go to deep you can open a can of works. Some paint needs completely removed others do not Ive seen people grand or sand into the gel coat and destroy a factory applied gel coat that was probably good for another 40 years. If its solid leave it alone.
Work areas no bigger than you can manage get them primed and sealed I would not do a complete strip unless I cauldron strip it and apply a sealer to it within two weeks. Theres a lot of reasons hear but your opening a sponge leaving it open it will soak up what ever comes into contact oils and chemicals etc.

Pre clean the surface before grinding or your melting what ever is on the surface into the paint and gel coat. There are many options here but I scrub everything from the surface before I ever put an abrasive on it.