Trolling Motor Battery placement, 1990,1850 Tyee

Sparike

Seaman Apprentice
Where are you guys putting your batteries when you add a trolling motor? Do you think they could be placed to far forward on a Tyee 1850?

I don't think that you can ever place it too far forward on an 18.5ft boat, just find the best spot. I would say that the bigger question is the size of the motor if the added weight causes the boat to struggle. More weight in the bow could also cause the boat to porpoise more, but the weight of a battery or two shouldn't be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Last edited:

Sparike

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, I put the 2 batteries & the charger up front in the nose, with the trolling motor I'm guessing roughly 200# added. pushing it with a 150 out board so I doubt I have issues. Be a day or two before I can get out & see how it acts---I'll report back when I know more!

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
4 years ago I had a 95 Tyee 1850, this boat had the movable floor piece up front with a pedestal mount. I just hid the two batteries under that, worked pretty well. I mounted the charger in the floor compartment in the bow.

My boat was a 4.3L V-6, 4 bbl with a Volvo Duo Prop drive. Not a whole lot bothered that boat as far as weight.

Think of it this way. There is seating for 2 - 4 people up front. Two batteries and a trolling motor doesn't quite weigh that much.

Now I have a Tyee 1950 Grand Sport with a 5.7L and Merc drive. 6 adults doesn't even phase it.