set up issues

Damightybigfoot

Seaman Apprentice
The black is probably Teflon if an OMC prop. Back in 1973 they got into the SS prop market with their SST prop: Stainless Steel Teflon (coated......apparently a cheaper grade of SS, not as much nickel content and more prone to corrosion than Merc. props). Included a brass ring that forced prop wash into the exhaust cone rather than diverged it as Merc. props had been doing for years....I guess the engineers figured something had to be different. Seems they abandoned the idea after some years and flared, and dumped the teflon and the ring....Ring was easily knocked off it you fished in the logs and stumps.

I guess I too will go the too much weight in the stern route. With that deep V hull you have nothing upon which to "set" the weight. Speculating that you aren't going fast enough for any "pad" area to do you any good. Nothing for the water to push against, or not enough water pressure to force the boat out of the water and force the bow down.

Its the newer version of that prop with the flared end rather than the push on ring, I'm going to vent the prop. Once the boats on plane it starting to sit on pad ive just got to learn to trim right as a deep-v doesn't need trimming as much to achieve its riding position! I'm going to vent the prop this week to see if I can gain revs that route

So redistributing weight ive heard of 2 things. 1 is lead ballasts in the bow to put weight in front or ive also been suggested swimming the engine with some triangle shims giving negative trim so as you launch it does the opposite effect of having the engine trimmed up and pushes the bow down rather than lifting it up

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
On Mercury engines if you remove the tilt pin you can tuck the engine almost up against the transom. More weight is just that....more weight. I think you need to go in the other direction. Maybe you need to reinstall your "hydrofoils" and just keep the speed down below the oscillations starting point, maybe trying different trim positions....maybe your jacking up the engine like you said you did would make the hydrofoil that you took off, work now....but chine walking on that hull??????

I assume you were referring to a "whales tail" looking device that is attached to the AV plate.....looks like the paint is discolored on top of the AV plate. I don't know if "trim tabs" mounted to the transom would help or not.....that is a serious deep V at the transom. Maybe somebody has done such and can advise.

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
Only to add that ADDING weight is NEVER a good plan. If necessary, redistributing weight is ALWAYS a much better plan.

Damightybigfoot

Seaman Apprentice
On Mercury engines if you remove the tilt pin you can tuck the engine almost up against the transom. More weight is just that....more weight. I think you need to go in the other direction. Maybe you need to reinstall your "hydrofoils" and just keep the speed down below the oscillations starting point, maybe trying different trim positions....maybe your jacking up the engine like you said you did would make the hydrofoil that you took off, work now....but chine walking on that hull??????

I assume you were referring to a "whales tail" looking device that is attached to the AV plate.....looks like the paint is discolored on top of the AV plate. I don't know if "trim tabs" mounted to the transom would help or not.....that is a serious deep V at the transom. Maybe somebody has done such and can advise.

Yes I'm referring to the whole fin hydrofoils that mount to the anti-vent plate! I shall try them again first im going to vent the prop see if i can get improvement close enough to what im after with that, then I shall reinstall hydrofoils, if that doesn't help ill be going back to the research bench

Damightybigfoot

Seaman Apprentice
Only to add that ADDING weight is NEVER a good plan. If necessary, redistributing weight is ALWAYS a much better plan.

Problem I got is the bow is filled with foam from factory, the old method of floating if the hull sinks keeps the nose up, the tanks are 2 removable 25l tanks which sit behind the rear bench seat along with the battery, there is nothing I can move forward and I can't really get anything up the front because of the foam unless I remove the foam but then no way of securing anything 🤣 id love to get a large fuel tank fitted up there just the problem of doing premix and trying to fill it up on the mooring

Fed

Commander
Apologies for not reading the whole thread but my take is that it's not making 140 HP.

Lost a cylinder?
Not getting WOT?

Someone compensated by fitting a lower pitched prop on it?
Have you done a compression test?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Apologies for not reading the whole thread but my take is that it's not making 140 HP.

Lost a cylinder?
Not getting WOT?

Someone compensated by fitting a lower pitched prop on it?
Have you done a compression test?

No apologies necessary. If you didn't read the whole thread that is the reason your answer is total nonsense.

Go back and read it all and then post the correct answer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Propellor is an omc 13x19p stainless steel propellor, its had work done to it with previous owner and cup added too it, it looks.....
As it currently stands, you have no idea if your chasing a hull/setup issue or a “hack” prop job.

The first thing I’d do is take that prop off and throw it as far as you can. Get a good “off the self”, stern lifting prop for use as a base line. Go from there.

It would be interesting to see the boat sitting in the water.

Damightybigfoot

Seaman Apprentice
As it currently stands, you have no idea if your chasing a hull/setup issue or a “hack” prop job.

The first thing I’d do is take that prop off and throw it as far as you can. Get a good “off the self”, stern lifting prop for use as a base line. Go from there.

It would be interesting to see the boat sitting in the water.

You ask and you shall recieve

I haven't got any side on views

My issue is i havent got funds to try another prop as I have just lost my job due to covid-19 and cancellation of orders, doing odd jobs right now to pay the bills

Attachments

• photo335938.jpg
    photo335938.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 0

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You ask and you shall recieve

I haven't got any side on views

My issue is i havent got funds to try another prop as I have just lost my job due to covid-19 and cancellation of orders, doing odd jobs right now to pay the bills
Nice picture of a happy owner but does little to diagnose a possible performance issue.

My money is on a prop issue

Fed

Commander
No apologies necessary. If you didn't read the whole thread that is the reason your answer is total nonsense.

Go back and read it all and then post the correct answer.

I read the thread Jim and stand by my original suggestion.
My apology was in case someone else had already suggested it was lacking power.

At 140 HP that boat should take off like a missile and easily run well over 6000 RPM.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
In the 80s spent a lot of time in a 16 foot skeeter with 175 on it. It was rated 125 I think you mentioned chine walk that boat slid sideways a lot but I bet quit often the actual boat wasn’t even in the water. We used to joke after taking flight for a ways You know like three or four seconds which is quite a ways at 70 and you know when your hull has become an Airplane wing that maybe only half of the prop was even in the water. If you have read many of my posts you’ll realize I used a few of my nine lives way to early.

when pulling a skier that wasn’t ok or good getting up someone had to be on the bow unless the driver could control the throttle well, you couldn’t just shower down on it. That boat easily ran 70 mph plus when you got it trimmed right and weighted right. If you wanted to you could almost stand that boat up on the transom from a dead stop take off I know more than a few bikini wearing women fell off the bow into my lap on accident, boat was really hard to control;)

I blame weight Old outboards were not light and hard to match throttle responses. Put 300 pounds up front and see what happens.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
By the way I came up with 300 pounds Like this two well endowed women in bikinis and 50 pounds of beer and ice. I think that’s how the math worked out.