upper gearcase dipstick seal

billkal

Cadet
Hello ,

I have a 2001 Volvo Penta, I was checking the gearcase oil level so removed the dipstick from the upper gearcase using a flat screw driver , while unscrewing , noticed there were shavings around the dipstick screw top part, when I tightened the dipstick again it would not seal properly.
how would u reseal the dipstick ? is it as easy as getting a washer that fits ?

best regards

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my alpha 1 is the same blue felt ish washer that goes on the drain and vent plug. not sure if the penta is the same but I wouldn't be surprised if it was

billkal

Cadet
Hello AllDodge
The drive is DP-SM 1.95 , I will get a pic later today and post.

Regards

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
If the aluminum threads are stripped and it will not tighten, you will probably have to put in a helicoil to properly re-seal it.

billkal

Cadet
sorry guys for the late response, I am still fighting my oil filter that wont budge,
The o-ring on the dip-stick is still in good shape, the threads of the dip-stick are good, but the aluminum threads in the housing are questionable, attached few pics, when I hand tighten the dip-stick it tightens but when it reaches the bottom sometimes it stops sometimes it keeps turning, what do u think.

Regards

Attachments

• photo335628.jpg
    photo335628.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo335629.jpg
    photo335629.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 0
  • photo335630.jpg
    photo335630.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Need to remove the cap and tap for an insert, or get a new cap

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
You need to do two things; fix the threads and address the the metal shavings that are likely in your drive.

To address the threads you need to remove the bearing cover and install a helicoil, or replace the bearing cover with a new one.

To address the metal shavings I would talk to a mechanic, but it would likely involve draining the drive oil, then pouring an automotive solvent of some kind through the drive, or potential disassembling the drive to fully clean it.