2001 bayliner 175BE what to look for after sitting 4 years?

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice
This week I am going to look at a 2001 Bayliner 175BE. The owner says its was winterized 4 years ago and it has been stored in shrink wrap in a garage since. If it looks ok I would have a marine mechanic check it over fully before buying but I was wondering if there are obvious signs of problems I should look out for.

Thanks!!

ahicks

Captain
If your mechanic is worth a darn, he should have a pretty good feel for what's going on with this boat very quickly.....

CaptainSteveo

Seaman
This week I am going to look at a 2001 Bayliner 175BE. The owner says its was winterized 4 years ago and it has been stored in shrink wrap in a garage since. If it looks ok I would have a marine mechanic check it over fully before buying but I was wondering if there are obvious signs of problems I should look out for.

Thanks!!

The number one thing to check on an old Bayliner is the deck and transom. Since I believe they still had wood deck with carpet glued down it they are very prone to rot. Make sure there are no soft spots. See if you see the stringers and check them for rot. Finally make sure the transom is solid and has no cracks or flex.

Hopefully it does not have an old Force outboard. If it does run away like the wind. If not your mechanic should be able to check all the major things. As others have said likely needs new rubber (impeller, hoses, etc.) after sitting so long. If there is any fuel in the tank it will need to be pumped out and disposed of too.

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice
The number one thing to check on an old Bayliner is the deck and transom. Since I believe they still had wood deck with carpet glued down it they are very prone to rot. Make sure there are no soft spots. See if you see the stringers and check them for rot. Finally make sure the transom is solid and has no cracks or flex.

Hopefully it does not have an old Force outboard. If it does run away like the wind. If not your mechanic should be able to check all the major things. As others have said likely needs new rubber (impeller, hoses, etc.) after sitting so long. If there is any fuel in the tank it will need to be pumped out and disposed of too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm told it has a 3.0L inboard.

CaptainSteveo

Seaman
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm told it has a 3.0L inboard.

The 3.0L four is good reliable motor, but not a powerhouse. Should be ok on a small boat like that if you are not planning on taking to many people or pulling large towables. That would make it an inboard outboard setup.

Are you planning on fresh water use or salt water. I/O are not the best for salt water use.

emoney

Commander
If you're serious, pay the mechanic to go with you and he/she will know to look at the transom; for soft spots in the deck, etc. on top of checking out the motor for you. Any amount of money you spend is worth the due dillegence. Assume the things that have been mentioned about the rubber, fuel lines, etc. etc. Also, don't forget the trailer has been sitting just as long. Odds are pretty high you'll need, at the very least, new tires to get you on the road and home. And not to be a negative nancy, but often times, sitting is just as bad as misuse on a boat.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
^ bearings too not just tires.

is buddy planning to show it running?
if yes, be careful it doesnt overheat (make sure its pumping water and not taking on water ie rotten bellows) and gimble isnt vibrating. also make sure its not choking on 4 year old gas and starter fluid.

if no maks sure you know you are buying untested. asume the worst and be pleasantly surprised.

+1 on bringing someone with you that knows what they are doing. good luck

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice
So I had a look and it seems decent. Next step is to get it checked by a professional. I've seen suggestions elsewhere about getting a marine survey done. I imagine marine surveyors dont inspect mechanicals like engine and drive. Should I just get a marine mechanic to look at it or should I also get a survey done?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A good marine survey should cover both the boat and associated systems, just discuss coverage and inspection points beforehand. Of course all of this IMO is based on the price of the boat vs the cost of the survey. If you are mechanically inclined there are many things you can check yourself - run a compression check, check the condition of the oil, look at the manifold and sides of the engine for signs of cracks or external rust, drain a bit of gear oil and look for signs of water intrusion, manually shift the boat from fwd/reverse and ensure the prop locks into gear, etc.If you can look at past service records that should give you some good insight.

I agree with above suggestions about draining the fuel. If there is a chance you can hire someone to drain the fuel or do it yourself along with the seller so that you can water test it, that is most preferred.
I would do anything I could to water test a boat before purchasing.

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice
So I finally got out to take a detailed look at this boat. Last time was just a quick peak. Without looking at the mechanical aspects it seems to be in good shape. Floors seem solid, cushions need a good cleaning no rips etc. I did come across some hull damage. It looks like it has been repaired but he said it must have been done by the previous owner. He had never noticed it before. Is this something to be concerned about? Next step will be to take it to a marine mechanic.

Attachments

• photo335863.jpg
    photo335863.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott06

Vice Admiral
might have been dropped of the trailer or onto blocks at a marina, or backed into something - hard to tell from that photo if it was significant or just the gel coat was damaged

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice
Heard back from the marina, it needs some work. It runs and boats fine but it's taking on water at the stern drive. They suggested installing a kit that replaces all the rubber pieces that might leak, rather than spending all that labour and only repairing the one that is leaking. Makes sense to me. It also needs some wiring work, the tach doesn't work, the speedo doesn't work and some of the other gauges. They figured up to 10 hours labor to rewire it. He seems motivated to sell this boat so I might be able to get it for a good deal and then make those repairs. I'm pretty handy but I'm not sure if I could take apart and re-assemble the stern drive. I'm sure there are lots of how-to's around the internet since this is a pretty common drive. I have no problem doing electrical wiring. Already found the wiring diagrams online.

Assuming there are no other issues, that the interior is fine for it's age, no rips, nothing rotten etc, what do you think this boat might be worth in it's current condition? If I could get it for around $2500USD would be a good deal? I'm having trouble finding comparables online. All I can find is a 2003 for $9k and the interior of the one I am looking it seems better than that one.

I'm not 100% sure I want to get into these repairs but if I could get it for a price that was low enough that would guarantee I could flip it and get my money back if I lose interest then I might go for it.

Thoughts?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Heard back from the marina, it needs some work. It runs and boats fine but it's taking on water at the stern drive. They suggested installing a kit that replaces all the rubber pieces that might leak,

being a 20 year old boat, you will need to identify where the water is coming in from.

it may be that "patched" section of the transom
if its a rotten transom (high probability), expect $3k to do the work (if you do it yourself). if you have to pay to get the work done, you may spend $7k
if its just rotten bellows (high probability), expect $200-$1000 to do the work depending on what needs to be done (if you do it yourself) if you pay a shop for this work, it could be up to $2k or more.

It also needs some wiring work, the tach doesn't work, the speedo doesn't work and some of the other gauges. They figured up to 10 hours labor to rewire it./QUOTE]

10 hours at $120/hr shop rate is $1200

Assuming there are no other issues, that the interior is fine for it's age, no rips, nothing rotten etc, what do you think this boat might be worth in it's current condition? If I could get it for around $2500USD would be a good deal? I'm having trouble finding comparables online. All I can find is a 2003 for $9k and the interior of the one I am looking it seems better than that one.

at 20 years of age, the interior is at the end of its life. seriously, look at the vinyl from Seabrook, Spradling, and others...... the stuff that was sewn into seat covers. they only guarantee 7-8 years.

I'm not 100% sure I want to get into these repairs but if I could get it for a price that was low enough that would guarantee I could flip it and get my money back if I lose interest then I might go for it.

if you pay to have the repairs done, you would need to get the boat for free. If your plan is to flip for a profit, you may want to re-think that. to make a small fortune buying and selling boats, start with a large one....... seriously, you are going to loose money as boating is a hobby.

buying a boat is a gamble. in this case, you know its taking on water, has sat for 4 years, and you seem apprehensive about doing the work yourself

CaptainSteveo

Seaman
Heard back from the marina, it needs some work. It runs and boats fine but it's taking on water at the stern drive. They suggested installing a kit that replaces all the rubber pieces that might leak, rather than spending all that labour and only repairing the one that is leaking. Makes sense to me. It also needs some wiring work, the tach doesn't work, the speedo doesn't work and some of the other gauges. They figured up to 10 hours labor to rewire it. He seems motivated to sell this boat so I might be able to get it for a good deal and then make those repairs. I'm pretty handy but I'm not sure if I could take apart and re-assemble the stern drive. I'm sure there are lots of how-to's around the internet since this is a pretty common drive. I have no problem doing electrical wiring. Already found the wiring diagrams online.

Thoughts?

Personally seems like way to many red flags to me, unless you are picking up a very cheap $1000 or less project boat. If you need to have the repairs done it's going to cost more then it's worth. It's really about a $5000 to $6000 boat in good condition. Wiring and taking on water could be major PITA issues that cost a great deal. 10 hours seems aweful low for rewiring a boat. That may just be a starting guess if everything goes smooth...

But it really depends on how much money you are willing to lose, or how much work you want to do, if these issues are major.

JTwelve

Cadet

Thoughts?

I’m probably not a ton of help, but I figured I’d at least offer you a data point.

I just bought a 2001 Bayliner LX 192 Cuddy Cabin for around $9500. That being said, there were only 140 hours on the motor, the vinyl and interior is mint...almost like it was preserved in a barn, and it runs like a top. Only thing that I can find wrong with it is the gel coat is oxidized....and I’m slowly buffing it out to its original shine.

Just thought I’d throw it out there. The market is pretty hot right now with boating being a good socially distant past time. Personally, I think if you were able to get it for 2500 and get it fixed for less than 2000 to 3000, you’re probably looking at it being a pretty good deal. Just my two cents.

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice
I’m probably not a ton of help, but I figured I’d at least offer you a data point.

I just bought a 2001 Bayliner LX 192 Cuddy Cabin for around $9500. That being said, there were only 140 hours on the motor, the vinyl and interior is mint...almost like it was preserved in a barn, and it runs like a top. Only thing that I can find wrong with it is the gel coat is oxidized....and I’m slowly buffing it out to its original shine.

Just thought I’d throw it out there. The market is pretty hot right now with boating being a good socially distant past time. Personally, I think if you were able to get it for 2500 and get it fixed for less than 2000 to 3000, you’re probably looking at it being a pretty good deal. Just my two cents.

So I've bought it for the equivalent of $2600 USD ($3500 canadian). Will be bringing it home this weekend. I'm going to try to do the leak repair myself, and I see there are several different kits available. One is the transom seal kit, the other is a 300hr service kit with includes the transom seal kit and a bunch of other stuff. I'm not sure if I need all that.

Besides the seal kit, is there anything else I should inspect/replace while I have it all apart? The 300hr service kit includes things like anodes, new shift cable assembly, water pump kit etc. If those needed replacement I think they can all be done at another time?

briangcc

Commander
Do you know the service history? And have the receipts to prove it? IF not I'd go all in on all the serviceable parts that way you KNOW what you have replaced.

Wxguru

Seaman Apprentice
Get a water pump impeller replacement kit that comes with the gaskets and o-rings. If the transom seal kit doesn't have any of the bellows, get those as well. Several other connections you need to check also...like where the trim wires run through the housing and the water inlet tube goes through as well.