Really miss not being able to go boating !

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have mixed emotions about the logic of that decision.

First of all, we NEED to stay away from other people to curtail the spread.

However, if a guy takes his wife fishing and they stay away from other boats, it would seem to me that the chances of them infecting someone else, or them getting infected would be almost nil.

We hear a lot about the effect on the economy, and certainly that's going to be more than devastating. But the effect on our mental health is not being emphasized.

My son is a licensed master counselor and what he is hearing from his patients is truly heartbreaking. Many are approaching the edge because they are cooped up in the house, and these are people that had problems in the first place.

A safe diversion, hobby or pastime needs to be enjoyed or we'll all try to drive a train into a ship.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
The boat is going in this afternoon, even if it is a short ride it will be worth it just to smell the 2 stroke running.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
...However, if a guy takes his wife fishing and they stay away from other boats, it would seem to me that the chances of them infecting someone else, or them getting infected would be almost nil....
Which is why Florida Governor DeSantis included recreational fishing as an "essential activity" in his stay-at-home order which goes into effect tonight at midnight. :eagerness: :D :cool:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I have mixed emotions about the logic of that decision.

First of all, we NEED to stay away from other people to curtail the spread.

However, if a guy takes his wife fishing and they stay away from other boats, it would seem to me that the chances of them infecting someone else, or them getting infected would be almost nil.

We hear a lot about the effect on the economy, and certainly that's going to be more than devastating. But the effect on our mental health is not being emphasized.

My son is a licensed master counselor and what he is hearing from his patients is truly heartbreaking. Many are approaching the edge because they are cooped up in the house, and these are people that had problems in the first place.

A safe diversion, hobby or pastime needs to be enjoyed or we'll all try to drive a train into a ship.

Did you read my reply to the next poster?

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gen...ng-able-to-go-boating?p=10846247#post10846247

Chris.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I was amazed to see a quote from the Florida fish and wildlife on the 29th of March saying best advice was boats to stay 50ft apart and no more than 10 in a boat. Incredible. We will never get out this mess if that continues over there. Hopefully there has been a re think on that advice. For all our sakes !

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I put the boat in the water yesterday, first run of the year. It was wonderful like none of the madness was happening.

ahicks

Captain
Sorry, no. I guess i posted too quick.

I guess we should all be more careful about everything. My biggest worry now is going to the grocery store. I usually don't have exact change, so the cashier has to give me smaller bills back. Since the bills may have been previously held by a virus person, I guess I'll get it too.

Might be a good time to get used to using a card?

achris

Might be a good time to get used to using a card?

For many years I have resisted using cards. I have no desire for the bank to track my spending. I take cash from the bank machine, and when I need to buy something, I pay cash, and that includes petrol, lottery tickets, food, car and boat care products, everything.. The government loves nothing more than something that kills the cash economy...

Unfortunately it appears as we have no choice in the matter. Went to a computer shop this afternoon to buy a new mainboard, CPU and RAM for a friend whose computer has carked it, and big signs everywhere saying no cash, card only.

:blue::blue::blue::blue:

Chris.....

briangcc

Commander
NY - ramps are still open, state and otherwise. Government is encouraging people to get out as long as they are responsible about it - no large gatherings, no grab your cousins/aunts/uncles/grandparents/etc and head out with a large group on a boat....you and your immediate family (those that live in your same house/apartment/abode) only.

Registered the boat and trailer online since the DMV's here are closed. Have temporary regs for both - can print them out after completing an online transaction. Will see how long it is before I get the actual docs.

Problem right now is my boat is stored at my parent's house and they're in their 70's. My dad has Diabetes thanks to Agent Orange so he's at risk. My batteries are in their basement on battery tenders. Going to make things interesting depending on how long this goes as I can easily get the boat with no contact but the batteries are another story.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
All sounds very poorly guided over there. Hope this doesn’t turn out as bad there as it has been in Europe. Frightening death toll each day. About 1000 odd a day here in the smallest of each country. European death toll per day is simply unimaginable and can’t even be fully tracked. Hate to think what could happen in the US, with the sheer numbers over there. Scary stuff guys.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
In South America, Ecuador is losing the covid-19 battle, around +150 deaths per day. That's the issue of taking so much time to take effective measures when the virus was near non existing, a pity but other countries will follow...

harringtondav

Commander
It will be some time before I splash my boat. Mississippi river won't cooperate. This will be six of nine years where high water levels have delayed launch. But first I have to repair ice damage on my lift from two winters ago. I was skunked last summer by high water all season. I need 11' on the gage to access my lift. Once I get it working I can launch at 14 ft. ...in a flooded ramp parking lot. So far the state DNR and USACE haven't closed the ramps.

https://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.m...ph-forecast2.cfm?sid=DBQI4&fid=DBQI4&d=7&dt=S

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
In South America, Ecuador is losing the covid-19 battle, around +150 deaths per day. That's the issue of taking so much time to take effective measures when the virus was near non existing, a pity but other countries will follow...

Much worse here. Was over 1000 deaths a day in Italy recently there. Hopefully it will peak and decline here soon. Think the U.K. was at 600 odd the other day and that’s after taking a lock down. Horrible.

ahicks

Captain
For many years I have resisted using cards. I have no desire for the bank to track my spending. I take cash from the bank machine, and when I need to buy something, I pay cash, and that includes petrol, lottery tickets, food, car and boat care products, everything.. The government loves nothing more than something that kills the cash economy...

Unfortunately it appears as we have no choice in the matter. Went to a computer shop this afternoon to buy a new mainboard, CPU and RAM for a friend whose computer has carked it, and big signs everywhere saying no cash, card only.

:blue::blue::blue::blue:

Chris.....

This might depend on your level of paranoia. I have absolutely no concern over anyone tracking my purchases. Why would anyone care? Go for it!

I do know there are others that just don't trust the "system". I believe it's something you get used to and trust is earned over a period of time.

I DO like that I can see exactly what's going on and view my own spending habits in a single monthly statement. I also like the idea that if something gets sideways with an online purchase (which it seems I'm doing more and more frequently) I have a line of defense built in with the credit card company. I also like the cash back plan my credit card company offers on many of my purchases.

Oh, and checks. They're pretty much gone. I HATE writing checks!

The bonus is, no messing around with cash transactions. Much quicker it seems like. No change in my pockets, and just a few bucks in my wallet. 40 bucks will last me a couple of months most of the time.... -Al

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Google used to admit that if you use their platform they will use Cookies to track your purchases and as a result will stick things you may like to purchase in your face. Simple solution to that is energize your Ad Blocker!

My bank debit card is Visa and it is a debit meaning if I use it, the money comes out of my account immediately. I suppose they could sell my shopping history but they would need to develop a way to record that and sell it. Come to think about it, I had cards compromised on a couple of occasions. One was some Bloke bought a sports jacket in London. I filed a complaint at the bank, my loss was immediately returned by them. Some time later I got an email from the bank indicating that the matter had been cleared by Visa in my favor. Can't beat a deal like that.

Today, using the card minimized your intake of who knows what on paper money....something my mother said was one of the dirtiest things you can touch, especially on old bills as I was growing up. You walk out of a store with your card in your hand, get to your vehicle, squirt some hand sanitizer (that you keep there) on your hands, wipe the card, dry it, stick it in your wallet and be on your way.

achris

This might depend on your level of paranoia. I have absolutely no concern over anyone tracking my purchases. Why would anyone care? Go for it!

The issue I have with it is the banks use that information when accessing you for a loan. They deem anything spent on 'non-essentials' (and that includes anything to do with a boat, including fuel) as a debt when doing the assets/liabilities assessment. I have a couple of friends who work in banks. They have both told me, on separate occasions, DON'T use cards to buy things, you have no idea what the banks do with that information... Same with those loyalty cards from the supermarkets. I got my arm twisted to get one. Now my inbox is full of junk from the supermarket, advertising the things I have been buying at special prices.

As the Nike ad says, 'Just don't do it'....

Chris........

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The issue I have with it is the banks use that information when accessing you for a loan. They deem anything spent on 'non-essentials' (and that includes anything to do with a boat, including fuel) as a debt when doing the assets/liabilities assessment. I have a couple of friends who work in banks. They have both told me, on separate occasions, DON'T use cards to buy things, you have no idea what the banks do with that information... Same with those loyalty cards from the supermarkets. I got my arm twisted to get one. Now my inbox is full of junk from the supermarket, advertising the things I have been buying at special prices.

As the Nike ad says, 'Just don't do it'....

Chris........

Nothing is free. Your supermarket is just an example...proceed with caution. On attempting to get a loan and the loan officer tossing your non-essential purchases in your face, I'd toss them right back indicating that I had ample supply and adequate control on my resources to the extent that I was able to purchase non-essentials at my choosing....gimme my loan. Course today I don't need their loan services........finally!

ahicks

Captain
To add to Texasmark's comment, regarding non-essentials, boat registrations, as well as any other state recorded documents, are all a matter of public record. You can pay for them any way imaginable, or get them for free. It makes no difference!

I call the using your card to buy a boat as a negative on your credit report BS. If they actually do use that info, you need to change banks. If you are asking for a loan, and your credit history is good, your current toy list (and how they were paid for) should not be relelvant-Al

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
The issue I have with it is the banks use that information when accessing you for a loan. They deem anything spent on 'non-essentials' (and that includes anything to do with a boat, including fuel) as a debt when doing the assets/liabilities assessment. I have a couple of friends who work in banks. They have both told me, on separate occasions, DON'T use cards to buy things, you have no idea what the banks do with that information...

LOL....... Sorry that's just silly. It's all about assets to liability and your proven ability to pay off debt, AKA credit "Credit Rating". They could care less how you spend your money, Their only concern is whether or not you'll default on the loan and if you do, is there something they can come after to get their money back. Let's not make it any more complex than that.

Every time I make a few large payments to my Credit Card(always paid off in full every month) the credit card offers(basically a loan) flood my mailbox weeks later.

I don't have a loan or mortgage on anything I own, so using cash to pay bills and buy things would actually hurt me if I needed to get a loan.

Plus, why not earn interest on that money and let it it in my bank account as long as possible. That's called being smart with your finances.

And you don't buy anything online?