Boat Covers

dadofemily

Cadet
I'm interested in getting a new cover for my boat pretty soon. It is a 16', 1996 bayliner capri. I have the cover that I think originally came with it and I like the fit. I see advertisements for custom fit and semi-custom fit covers but I can't finad any details on what the differences are. Does anyone have more info? Pics would be great.

briangcc

Commander
Custom Fit - made for your exact boat. More often than not, more $$$

Semi-custom Fit - made for your style of boat and may vary by length and beam (width). More often than not, cheaper then Custom Fit.

Of the two, I prefer Custom Fit - has reinforcements where they should be, no excess fabric where it doesn't need to be, etc. Mine's Carver made of Sunbrella fabric, trailerable and I do trailer with it on no matter what the naysayers here say - I fill the boat with a week's worth of camping/vacation supplies in addition to the bed of the truck.

harringtondav

Commander
I purchased an aftermarket custom fit cover for my boat. The fit was good, reinforcements where they needed to be per above comment. My bellyache is the material used. I bought the top of line offered. When I received it I noticed the cover weighed about 1/2 the OEM. OK for a few years, but then it started to weep water. Not leak really, but the fabric became thin. I could see daylight when inside the boat.

So now I apply 303 water repellent every two years. Works well, but really needs another coat at the end of the second year. My point, material is key, and the aftermarket outfits don't offer much. I think I paid around $230. Our local canvas shop quoted me a little over $400 for a custom made from good fabric. So check out a canvas shop if available. In the long run the $$ difference will be worth it.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
For the best covers I’ve have all mine custom made. They fit the best, they last longer and protect the boat better. Yes they are more expensive than the mass produced ones but I think well worth the $$$. Find a local shop experienced in making boat covers and get a custom cover.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've had custom made covers for big $$$, and they were very nice. I've also had generic, semi-custom and custom (factory covers) from a bunch of different companies. Hands down Carver makes the best covers.

IMHO, the best value is a custom cover from Carver. They can make on in any type of fabric you want, depending on your budget. The cost will be a fraction of what you would spend at a local canvas maker.

If Carver does not catalog a custom cover for your particular boat model, a semi-custom may be a good alternative, but you have to remember that it may be a little sloppy in some areas. You'll have to buy the size that's 1 size up, or it will be too small.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Around here, southern Ontario the 2 best materials offered for custom covers is Sunbrella and Top Gun. High quality and thick fabric. Just this past Monday I picked up my 19' StarCraft with the pretty blue new Sunbrella cover on her. $750.00 CDN. That is a good deal.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
$750 CDN = $543 USD

A custom made Carver sunbrella for the Starcraft is $466 USD.

Not a lot of difference in price, and I don't know if duty is involved if a US Carver is shipped, so its an apples to oranges comparison.

Als I DO know is that all my boats now have Carvers.

On another note, Carver has a promotion. If you really like their product and snap a picture and they use it on their web site, they send you a reward. I did and they sent me a check for 50 bucks.