Safely Cutting a fuel tank

rothfm

Ensign
Oh, my tank work!!.have other posts on diff topics of the rebuild/replacement...But now more!

Ive got my new pick-up parts and bungs & welder ready...and I have to bring him my tanks and parts.

My Original tank is 155 Gallon, out of the boat and now emptied. It will eventually be Scrapped totally. I have a newer Marine certified baffled tank I have to rework the bungs/ports/ fill etc, going into the boat when reworked.

I want to cut out out a 8" circle from the top of the old tank, that has the 1 1/2 Inlet, 5/8 vent, and the sender opening. I'd like to take this area out as a "plate", and have the welder install it in my "new" tank. I have it all measured out, so things line-up with access deck plates. Is this even a good idea?

SO, The 155 is empty...I was gonna fill it up with water/soap and rinse it out and let water flow thru it for awhile to get rid of any fumes. Regardless I will do this for safety.

BUT the ?....To remove a portion of this tank, after serveral washings/rinses...can I fill it up to the top (literally) and use a Jig saw to cut out the area I want? I"m thinking if there is no air in it and full of water, it shold be ok after the rinsing/washing.

I do alot but havent messed with tanks before...Not an area I want any surprises. Treading carefully.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Aluminum doesn't spark. However the jigsaw brushes do. Use your nose after the washout, if you can't smell gas, start cutting. No fumes, no boom.

harringtondav

Commander
Assuming your tank is aluminum, you should be good, especially with all of your prep. Aluminum doesn't spark. If steel, you should still be OK. Fumes are the risk.

If you want to make a pretty hole, you may want to buy or rent one of these. ...I'm fixing to do my own duct work on a basement remodel, and will buy one for sure. It works with a cordless drill. One hole to center the pilot, then drive the cutter bit with your cordless. ....don't know the metal thickness capacity though. Slow feed normally compensates for thick metal.

cutter.JPG

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
wax the blades. also, you can weld-prep with a router

I used to weld/braze fuel tanks when I was restoring old 70's vintage muscle cars prior to the plethora of cheap aftermarket tanks. we used to fill them up with water, then weld in the patch

fill the tank up with water, and have at it with the saw.

however remember..... once you modify the tank, its no longer certified.

rothfm

Ensign
Thanks all, was skiddish today messing with it. Had to back off and get on here!

Good point on the tool Brushes...I dont even mind cutting that area off the top by hand actually-not that big...Just no Booms.

Sounds like I should be ok, if rinsed out several times with Dawn, then filled to the top with water while I take that 8-12" area out.

Will do the same with the newer tank prior to taking it, and the parts and donor "Plate" to my welder guy.

appreciated as always!

Prarie Guy

Seaman Apprentice
I have been reading about your plans to cut into your tank find some one local who works on fuel tanks and find out who cleans tanks for them prior to welding repairs! There will be some one who steam cleans and uses a sniffer to check for explosive gases This is the only truly safe way to go about it. I would never have touched a fuel tank at work without this being done.

Gary

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
My brother in law used to braze tanks that had holes in them. He would throw the tank on his tailgate, run a hose from the exhaust pipe I to the tank and let the truck run for an hour. Grab the torch and braze it up. Scary. I stood far away.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
My brother in law used to braze tanks that had holes in them. He would throw the tank on his tailgate, run a hose from the exhaust pipe I to the tank and let the truck run for an hour. Grab the torch and braze it up. Scary. I stood far away.

I know three people that do it this way and they are all still alive.

rothfm

Ensign
Have heard of that exhaust approach as well....Been reading more of this. I now believe twice rinsed with soapy water, then completely filled with water while I "hand" cut out the piece I need....should be safe.

WIll report back Sat.