No announcement yet.

Volvo Penta Outdrive rebuild or swap??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo Penta Outdrive rebuild or swap??

Have a buddy with a 97 Fourwinns bowrider. Has a 3.0L Mercruiser motor with a Volvo Penta SX Cobra outdrive. He says the outdrive blew the top end and screwed up the bottom end as well needs a full rebuild. I know nothing about boats. Have rebuild lots of motors but never got into boats. Would it be better to rebuild the outsdrive or swap it out for one?? Looking at the price of used working volvo outdrives of 5 grand seems like there is a better option. Wondering if you can put a Mercruiser outdrive on the boat?? There seems to be lots of them around. what all needs to be down to swap them out??

thanks,

if you swapped to a Mercruiser Drive, or even an SEI, you need to replace everything drive related and exhaust related. That is a fair amount of work

lack of maintenance is what most likely killed the drive

best bet is find a used drive in good condition.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Thanks for the reply. We have found a loner boat same vintage and motor but with e mercruiser outdrive. Would that all bolt up or would it still be a lot of work??

Comment

As Scott said, you're comparing apples and bananas. They're completely different animals.

Having had both now, I prefer Volvo - its much smoother shifting. Downside is, as you've found, the parts price is astronomical for anything Volvo.

What size boat? You might be better off finding a 4.3L donor and swap everything over. I've yet to hear anyone say I wish I had a smaller engine on their boat.
        2017 Chaparral 19 H2O Ski & Fish w./4.3L 180HP Merc Alpha
        2005 Four Winns 200Le x/5.0L Volvo SX-M (270HP - FI) - ordered new, traded in on Chaparral
        1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS w/2000 Honda 115HP - ordered new, traded in on Four Winns
        1956 MFG 15' w/matching Evinrude Big Twin 30HP - presumed to be a sandbox somewhere

Tow Vehicle:
        2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4
        2019 Ram 1500 Classic 4x4

Comment

Gotcha gotcha. Yeah i like the sounds of more power. Thanks for the info will keep looking around.

Comment

Working...
          X