Trying to get into the boating world, need help!

Greenhorn2

Recruit
I live in upstate NY and looking to get into boating, never owned a boat. I am looking for a 16-21' boat and only looking to put it into some freshwater lakes. Just looking for something to put the family in and pull some tubes. I am looking at the 21' 99 Bayliner 2050 Capri, 2000 Marada 184 dlx, 2011 Bayliner Bowrider 175 17', 2000 Four Winns Horizon 180LS 18'.

Any and all feedback would be MUCH appreciated about the above boats would be great!

THANK YOU!

roffey

Commander
Welcome aboard, I think you are going to find most if not all will say, it all about the condition of the used boat. I when you are dealing with a 20 plus year old boat their all the same. You need to look at the condition of the boat and possibly have it inspected before you buy. Most 20 year old boats will have existing problems, bad motors, rotten decks and just generally mistreated.

A must is taking it for a lake run with the owner and a friend who knows boats. Good luck with your hunt. Buying a boat is always fun, almost as mush fun a selling a boat, lol.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Great interest rates if you buy a new boat, way better option than a 20 year old bayliner.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My two cents....
I would avoid bayliner due to the abundance of wood in the deck and other areas of the build. Like others said, not to say it hasn't been taken care of, but boats with less wood and more synthetic materials, such as a full fiberglass deck, will put up with a bit more abuse.
Looking back at what I would differently from my purchases....
1) Get something 30% bigger than what I think I need. I have a 20' now and its already too small sometimes for 4 people.
2) Look at seating configurations - do you have to constantly shuffle and move people around to get to storage compartments?
3) Do you have a good service shop nearby for the components you have on the boat - Volvo vs Mercruiser. Sometimes shops will only work on or supply parts for one or the other
4) Have a marine surveyor examine the boat if you find one you are truly serious about
5) Water test it before purchase. No exceptions.

There is a sticky on the forums which has a great buyers checklist.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'd avoid the '90s Bayliner for sure. I'd avoid any boat that has permanently attached carpet on the floor. My first boat was like that and I was always trying to get it to dry out. Now I have a boat with a fiberglass floor and snap-in carpet. It's so much easier to clean and dry the boat with removable carpet. Also, I don't worry about the fiberglass floor rotting like the old carpet-covered-plywood floor did.
I would stick to the upper end of your size range. A 20' boat starts to get into models with an 8'6" beam, the widest it can be and still be trailerable without over-width permits. Shorter boats are often also narrower. If you're putting a family in the boat 18' is going to feel very small, especially with all the gear and toys.
Get the largest engine you can. No, smaller engines don't save gas. In fact, often, a larger engine will be more fuel efficient at a given speed because it isn't working as hard. In a 20' boat with a family doing water sports I would want a V8; skip the 3.0L 4 cylinder for sure. The 4.3L V6 might be adequate depending on the hull and your expectations.
Any 15 - 20 year old boat is about half way a restoration project. If your handy that's fine. If you will be paying someone to do maintenance and repairs a newer boat will save you money in the long run.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Since you are a total newbie and don't really know what you want or need, you'll find out that you won't be happy with WHATEVER you buy. You'll be looking to upgrade before long. You might even find out that the family doesn't like boating at all.

Buy the newest one you can afford. Have it surveyed to be sure it's not too much of a money pit. Don't worry about the size of the engine (unless totally unreasonable). You can always change the prop to meet your needs. Don't worry about a Bayliner (unless its 20 years old). Their resale value is lower, and of course you'll get less when you sell it.

Given your choices listed, I would want to give the 2011 Bayliner a closer look. If it was garage kept and well maintained it could be a reasonably priced way to get into the sport.

Greenhorn2

Recruit
Thanks for the insight, KD4UPL I like the way you think, how about this one?

1998 Chaparral 2130 limited edition; length- 21 feet; beam- 8 & 1/2 feet; engine- 5.7 liter, 350 cubic inch, 260 hp, fuel injected Mercruiser; outdrive- Bravo 1; stainless prop;

How is the deck of the Older model Chaparrals? Are made out of wood does anyone know?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A 22 year old boat with a glued-in carpet is likely to have a wooden deck that's in need of repair. They were still wood in 1995. Don't know about '98. A call to the factory will verify construction.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Since you are new to boating and before you purchase a boat, take a boating course so you and your family will be safe on the water.

Here's a link to get you started: https://www.usps.org/

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Since you are new to boating and before you purchase a boat, take a boating course so you and your family will be safe on the water.

Here's a link to get you started: https://www.usps.org/

Excellent advice, and something that too many people overlook......except now in NY.

While Power Squadron and Coast Guard Auxillary were and are the best courses around, NY recently passed what they call "Brianna's Law", which REQUIRES in effect a Boating Licence. The requirements are quite specific and the certificate that you must show Law Enforcement MUST be the one issued by NY State.

Lots of confusion so far, and lots of mis-information, but it IS clear that a PS or USCGA certificate is not valid for exchange.

Not really a "problem" - just contact the DMV and THEY will direct you where and when to go.

rothfm

Ensign
There are plenty of good low dollar older boats out there...IF, you know what to look for. If not bring a friend that knows. The point bieng, dont spend alot getting into your first one.. Odds are that if you all like it, you will have another picked out before long. Heck, even if its not perfect, as long as its sound it will be a good way to learn boats, the rules, and the water.

Good luck, have fun.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A 22 year old boat with a glued-in carpet is likely to have a wooden deck that's in need of repair. They were still wood in 1995. Don't know about '98. A call to the factory will verify construction.

My friend bought a 2013 Bayliner and I was shocked as to how much wood was in it. Deck, storage compartments, etc were all plywood.

UP HOOKER

Cadet
Welcome aboard, I think you are going to find most if not all will say, it all about the condition of the used boat. I when you are dealing with a 20 plus year old boat their all the same. You need to look at the condition of the boat and possibly have it inspected before you buy. Most 20 year old boats will have existing problems, bad motors, rotten decks and just generally mistreated.

A must is taking it for a lake run with the owner and a friend who knows boats. Good luck with your hunt. Buying a boat is always fun, almost as mush fun a selling a boat, lol.

Ha the two best days in a Boaters life lol

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I suggest you joint a boat rental club prior to buying.

that way you can find out what you like.

boats today are still designed with a 15 year design life.

we have traded wood structure for plexus glued stringer tubs and plastic. however the design life of the boat prior to a major overhaul or replacement is still 15 years.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I get amused when I hear the phrase "15 Year Design Life". I guess the purpose of the manufacturer's design is to ensure that you have to buy a new one every so often.

Maybe we should also talk about "Practical Life". The way many people take care of their stuff 15 years may be a stretch.

Truth is, with good care a fiberglass boat should last a lifetime.

Last year my boat was 35 years old and my car was 40. Both were garage kept and maintained by the book. The car was never driven in the snow and salt, and the boat was never put away with water in the bilge. No rot, no rust.

There are gems out there, just few and far between.

roffey

Commander
The car was never driven in the snow and salt.

I live in Canada, more specifically Ottawa. We put more salt on the highways than another country or city. Unless you have a alternate source of transportation, its a fact of life, your car will rust out. It's a pet peeve of mine, drive for the conditions and put sand on the roads.

I agree with the boat, I plan on my boat being passed on to my grand children. I wax and wash my boat regularly... along with my truck, lol, some say OCD I say no, just an form of relaxation.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I get amused when I hear the phrase "15 Year Design Life". I guess the purpose of the manufacturer's design is to ensure that you have to buy a new one every so often.

Maybe we should also talk about "Practical Life". The way many people take care of their stuff 15 years may be a stretch.

Truth is, with good care a fiberglass boat should last a lifetime.

Last year my boat was 35 years old and my car was 40. Both were garage kept and maintained by the book. The car was never driven in the snow and salt, and the boat was never put away with water in the bilge. No rot, no rust.

There are gems out there, just few and far between.

you are referring to service life. the actual life you get out of something in service subject to its use and maintenance/car. which could be as short as a few years, or as long as about 50 years. depends solely on maintenance and care.

however since 96% of the boating public does not garage keep, nor wash and dry the boat prior to putting away, the 15 years design life is still hard and fast.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Excellent advice, and something that too many people overlook......except now in NY.

While Power Squadron and Coast Guard Auxillary were and are the best courses around, NY recently passed what they call "Brianna's Law", which REQUIRES in effect a Boating Licence. The requirements are quite specific and the certificate that you must show Law Enforcement MUST be the one issued by NY State.

Lots of confusion so far, and lots of mis-information, but it IS clear that a PS or USCGA certificate is not valid for exchange.

Not really a "problem" - just contact the DMV and THEY will direct you where and when to go.

Seems a bit confusing...I went to https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/boating/safety-courses.aspx and they say that USPS and USCGA are approved courses.