New to boating... What size engine?

rjw35

Recruit
Brand new to boating. I'd like to by a "bass boat" or hybrid fishing boat, either new or slightly used. I'll be using it primarily for fishing, but would also like to use it for towing my two kids for tubing.

A couple of questions:

1. What is the minimum engine size you'd recommend?
2. Also what size boat would you recommend?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Way too many variables to give a good answer.

A "Bass Boat", IMHO, is totally unsuitable for tubing.

My first boat was 16 footer with a 40 HP Outboard. It was an awesome fishing machine and the seats were arranged so that water skiing and tubing was doable as well.

Your best bet would be to go to a number of local boat dealers, see what they have, see what they recommend, and then come back with some specific models to see what the bass boat / tubers here have to say.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Buy one with an engine already on it. Tried and tested. That will do !

rjw35

Recruit
Thanks for the reply. Specifically looking at a Pro Guide 16 foot Tracker fishing boat with 2017 Mercury 75 hp 4 stroke motor.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That's a nice fishing boat and ideal for calm waters. It's certainly better than I started out with.

rjw35

Recruit
Again, will primarily use for fishing, but I'd like to tow my two daughters on an inner tube from time to time. Will this Mercury, 4-stroke do? I'm not looking to do any skiing, and will manage my expectations...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That engine will be more than adequate for tubing, provided it is propped right. I don't know Tracker's philosophy on performance, but at worst a new prop would't be a deal breaker.

Otherwise, you'll need to be able to position a seat for a spotter, and you'll have to adapt a ladder to enable the tubers to get in and out of the boat. A center mounted Ski (tow) pylon would be nice, but using an old fashioned bridle on the transom eyes would work as well.

As a fishing boat, its great. The only thing better in that regard would be a center console.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
How old are the kids? If young that will be adequate and certainly but I think you may out grow the HP as they get older.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How old are the kids? If young that will be adequate and certainly but I think you may out grow the HP as they get older.

Will need to prop right that motor again from current prop to run middle to max wot rpm range fctory stated when being older. Been powering different size boats with same motor for the last 10 years with just a prop maximization for each one while running at full wot rpm range on all of them.

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That's a pretty small boat. The starting price factory package is with a 25 HP motor. A 75 should be more than adequate for any activity.

I have only a little experience with Trackers, but if the engine / boat combination was a factory setup, and nobody molested it, the factory prop should be pre-optimized.

briangcc

Commander
You only need to be able to go 10-20 mph pulling a tube - read and adhere to the warning label. You should be more than fine. Use a bridle to connect the tube to the boat.

Depending if you're using a multiperson tube you might find yourself being swung around a bit with that size boat.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'm going to disagree a bit with the others... while that boat might work for tubing now, while the kids are little, it will struggle more as the kids get a bit bigger. To be able to sling the tube outside the wake, which is the fun part, you usually need to be able to stay on plane at about 18-20 mph with enough extra power to give it some throttle as you weave back and forth. For older kids, especially if you have a tube capable of carrying two kids, I fear that boat will struggle. You probably have a couple years before you really have to worry about them outgrowing it, though.

Also, use a bridle that clips to the transom for pulling the tube. If you use a ski pylon, you're liable to rip it (and whatever it's attached to) out of the boat when the tube submarines.

When our kids were very little (7-9ish) I would pull them behind our 14' Sea Nymph with a 10hp tiller-steered outboard. We couldn't go very fast, but it was novel and fun for them. (In retrospect, there were less tubing than they were simply being towed around slowly on raft), but it didn't take long for them to want a bit more fun and excitement.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Agree with Jasin above. Other than really young kids, tubing takes a fair amount of power, substantially more than even wakeboarding or slalom water skiing. Tubes are big giant anchors, and you will need more than enough power to get them outside the wake while turning and not bogging the boat down.

A 16' with a 75 will work, it is at the bottom end of what would be acceptable, as long as you keep the load in the boat REALLY light. The first time you take them out and they want to take a boatload of friends with you will have a big problem.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The girls are 11 and 13... I appreciate the responses, so far....

You could tow them with a 40hp and they would be happy.

with the 70hp, you will not even crack the throttle more than maybe 25%

that boat combo will pull a tube no problem.

agree with the tow bridle.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Agree with Jasin above. Other than really young kids, tubing takes a fair amount of power, substantially more than even wakeboarding or slalom water skiing. Tubes are big giant anchors, and you will need more than enough power to get them outside the wake while turning and not bogging the boat down.

A 16' with a 75 will work, it is at the bottom end of what would be acceptable, as long as you keep the load in the boat REALLY light. The first time you take them out and they want to take a boatload of friends with you will have a big problem.

That's a small boat with a big motor and limited capacity. Dad and the girls will be good, but the boat won't handle a "boatload of people".

We all have different opinions and that's why we're here, but IMHO a 75 is at the top end of acceptability. The only other option by Tracker is a 90, and that would be too much HP for that little boat, especially in the hands of a novice.

harringtondav

Commander
Adding an observation here. I've been shopping for a new boat (suspended for the foreseeable future).
I look at stated dry weight/engine hp. My bench mark is our boat shown in my tag below. 13.3hp/lb. Actually over powered with two passengers. About at it's limit with 900# of people and towing a tube with two riders. 21P prop.

Glass B/R boats I've compared range from 12-14hp/lb with the largest available engine.

..just a reference point to share.