New to boating... What size engine?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I prefer the 13 hp per pound.

I need to add some more power to my 3500#....... I only have 500hp..... so Im about 46,000 hp shy.......

LOL

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I did some rough calculating and it seems to me that the 13 lb / HP is an awful lot of power!

My Searay has a 150 on the back and it's figure is 18.0. That sucker gives you whiplash on hole shot and tops out at 50 mph.

My Whaler is 15.8 and I couldn't imagine better performance.

Both of those boats are running the max rated HP.

In contrast, my Lyman is 12.0 and it tops out at about 23 mph.

OTOH, my Jetski factor is 5.0, and I know that's more HP than needed......LOL.

I guess that there's more to boats than that one parameter....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have 7#/hp with my boat. wonder what it will perform like?

I have been on an X-Stream V-king with a 225 on back........ I nearly poohed myself

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We need to define "perform" first. If it means "speed", that's one thing.

My buddy drives a Prius and he says its performance is awesome. Yeah, right! 59 mpg, but it can't even get out of its own way..

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have tubed behind a 25hp on a 16' skiff, and a 300hp on a 21' walk thru. Don't purchase a boat around Tubing.

First off, What do you imagine to use it for, you said Fishing and Recreation. That's a start but the Boat doesn't really care.

How many people (i.e weight) How big of Lake (i.e. Waves) How far would you travel (i.e. Speed) How many lakes you plan to explore? (i.e. Towing) Plan picnics or exploring? (i.e. Hull Material)

Then pick the Boat Type, and as close to Max HP for that boat as you can afford.

This link will start you toward the "Type of Boat"

https://www.discoverboating.com/buying/boat-finder

harringtondav

Commander
Ratios my also apply to vehicles. My vintage Kaw H1F triple is 6.8#/hp. After 45 yrs I'm still a little afraid of it. In cars/trucks I check torque vs. curb weight. This helped me decide on my Ranger vs. Toyota Taco and Chev Colorado. Hp is a nice number, if you live above 5K rpm. Torque tows.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Ratios my also apply to vehicles. My vintage Kaw H1F triple is 6.8#/hp. After 45 yrs I'm still a little afraid of it..

My bud used to race drag bikes, cars, etc. came upon a garage kept, original '72 H2 750 triple while delivering a new custom harley. AKA the "widow maker" He snapped it up for the few $ the original owner wanted for it (he was afraid to drive it)

Bob rebuilt the carbs, replace all the rubber, took it for a run, as he was gently rolling on the throttle, the front wheel pulled up as the motor hit its stride. after he backed off the throttle enough to settle the bike back down onto two wheels, he spun it around and promptly listed it for sale.

ahicks

Captain
Previous owner of an H2 as well - one of the original blue "full on" versions. They were de-tuned later. Bought it when it was a year old, and I was in my 20's (too stupid to know any better). Fresh out of the super car era. If that bike didn't scare you, it would kill you. WAY over the top, way faster than anything else available, and squirrely as hell. Rode mine for a couple of years and it ended up sitting as well.

With a very early version of oil injection, it was a great mosquito killer too as I remember. Nothing much in the way of decent oils available back then.....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I think the OP is looking for a boat not a bike. Listen to me Mr. Thread killer.

A Bass boat is for Bass fishing. Generally has only 2 seats, some 3. not a choice for anything but Bass and panfish fishing.

If I have learned anything about boats is that when you choose 1 it will always be too small and not enough H.P. soon therafter. A 16'boat is small for 3 people, then add all the stuff you bring with you, kids, cooler, dry cloths, the Dog etc. and a big tube.

As for Trackers they have a reputation for lack of fit and finish as well as not constructed very well. I am told things have changed. Based on the new Trackers I saw just last year at Bass Pro Shop things haven't changed at all. They are also referred to as Crackers. I would never recommend one. Caveat Emptor.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... I'll be using it primarily for fishing, but would also like to use it for towing my two kids for tubing....

Lost track of the number of times I was asked this question when I was a boat shop owner...

Any boat will do one or the other. Nothing out there that will do both properly.

It's like asking for a car that is nice and roomy for 2 adults and 4 kids that you use as the family and work car, that you can take on the track and be competitive on the odd weekend. Never going to happen!

Pick one, or buy 2 boats...

Chris.....

briangcc

Commander
Umm....Ski & Fish model would do it - any number of manufacturers offer something in varying sizes. But that ain't the Tracker in question.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I'm going to disagree a bit with the others... while that boat might work for tubing now, while the kids are little, it will struggle more as the kids get a bit bigger. To be able to sling the tube outside the wake, which is the fun part, you usually need to be able to stay on plane at about 18-20 mph with enough extra power to give it some throttle as you weave back and forth. For older kids, especially if you have a tube capable of carrying two kids, I fear that boat will struggle. You probably have a couple years before you really have to worry about them outgrowing it, though.

Also, use a bridle that clips to the transom for pulling the tube. If you use a ski pylon, you're liable to rip it (and whatever it's attached to) out of the boat when the tube submarines.

When our kids were very little (7-9ish) I would pull them behind our 14' Sea Nymph with a 10hp tiller-steered outboard. We couldn't go very fast, but it was novel and fun for them. (In retrospect, there were less tubing than they were simply being towed around slowly on raft), but it didn't take long for them to want a bit more fun and excitement.

Really ? I can’t see a 16ft light boat with a 75hp struggling at all. Back a few decades a 75hp would be a big engine for a 16ft light weight boat. Plenty I’d say. Should run well into the 30’s easily.