No announcement yet.

New to boating... What size engine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with Jasin above. Other than really young kids, tubing takes a fair amount of power, substantially more than even wakeboarding or slalom water skiing. Tubes are big giant anchors, and you will need more than enough power to get them outside the wake while turning and not bogging the boat down.

A 16' with a 75 will work, it is at the bottom end of what would be acceptable, as long as you keep the load in the boat REALLY light. The first time you take them out and they want to take a boatload of friends with you will have a big problem.

Comment

Originally posted by rjw35 View Post
      The girls are 11 and 13... I appreciate the responses, so far....
      You could tow them with a 40hp and they would be happy.

with the 70hp, you will not even crack the throttle more than maybe 25%

that boat combo will pull a tube no problem.

agree with the tow bridle.
      Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by H20Rat View Post
        Agree with Jasin above. Other than really young kids, tubing takes a fair amount of power, substantially more than even wakeboarding or slalom water skiing. Tubes are big giant anchors, and you will need more than enough power to get them outside the wake while turning and not bogging the boat down.

A 16' with a 75 will work, it is at the bottom end of what would be acceptable, as long as you keep the load in the boat REALLY light. The first time you take them out and they want to take a boatload of friends with you will have a big problem.
        That's a small boat with a big motor and limited capacity. Dad and the girls will be good, but the boat won't handle a "boatload of people".

We all have different opinions and that's why we're here, but IMHO a 75 is at the top end of acceptability. The only other option by Tracker is a 90, and that would be too much HP for that little boat, especially in the hands of a novice.
        2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
        2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
        2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
        1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
        1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
        1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
        69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Adding an observation here. I've been shopping for a new boat (suspended for the foreseeable future).
          I look at stated dry weight/engine hp. My bench mark is our boat shown in my tag below. 13.3hp/lb. Actually over powered with two passengers. About at it's limit with 900# of people and towing a tube with two riders. 21P prop.

Glass B/R boats I've compared range from 12-14hp/lb with the largest available engine.

..just a reference point to share.
          '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Don't you mean lb per HP?
            2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
            Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

I prefer the 13 hp per pound.

I need to add some more power to my 3500#....... I only have 500hp..... so Im about 46,000 hp shy.......

LOL

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

Originally posted by JimS123 View Post
                Don't you mean lb per HP?
                Yea, typo. lb/hp or hp/lb doesn't matter. lb/hp small number is good, hp/lb big number is good. I picked the first, then botched it.
                '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

I did some rough calculating and it seems to me that the 13 lb / HP is an awful lot of power!

My Searay has a 150 on the back and it's figure is 18.0. That sucker gives you whiplash on hole shot and tops out at 50 mph.

My Whaler is 15.8 and I couldn't imagine better performance.

Both of those boats are running the max rated HP.

In contrast, my Lyman is 12.0 and it tops out at about 23 mph.

OTOH, my Jetski factor is 5.0, and I know that's more HP than needed......LOL.

I guess that there's more to boats than that one parameter....
                  Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

I have 7#/hp with my boat. wonder what it will perform like?

I have been on an X-Stream V-king with a 225 on back........ I nearly poohed myself

Past Boats

Comment

We need to define "perform" first. If it means "speed", that's one thing.

My buddy drives a Prius and he says its performance is awesome. Yeah, right! 59 mpg, but it can't even get out of its own way..

Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

I have tubed behind a 25hp on a 16' skiff, and a 300hp on a 21' walk thru. Don't purchase a boat around Tubing.

First off, What do you imagine to use it for, you said Fishing and Recreation. That's a start but the Boat doesn't really care.

How many people (i.e weight) How big of Lake (i.e. Waves) How far would you travel (i.e. Speed) How many lakes you plan to explore? (i.e. Towing) Plan picnics or exploring? (i.e. Hull Material)

Then pick the Boat Type, and as close to Max HP for that boat as you can afford.

This link will start you toward the "Type of Boat"

https://www.discoverboating.com/buying/boat-finder

Comment

Ratios my also apply to vehicles. My vintage Kaw H1F triple is 6.8#/hp. After 45 yrs I'm still a little afraid of it. In cars/trucks I check torque vs. curb weight. This helped me decide on my Ranger vs. Toyota Taco and Chev Colorado. Hp is a nice number, if you live above 5K rpm. Torque tows.

Comment

Originally posted by harringtondav View Post
                            Ratios my also apply to vehicles. My vintage Kaw H1F triple is 6.8#/hp. After 45 yrs I'm still a little afraid of it..
                            My bud used to race drag bikes, cars, etc. came upon a garage kept, original '72 H2 750 triple while delivering a new custom harley. AKA the "widow maker" He snapped it up for the few $ the original owner wanted for it (he was afraid to drive it)

Bob rebuilt the carbs, replace all the rubber, took it for a run, as he was gently rolling on the throttle, the front wheel pulled up as the motor hit its stride. after he backed off the throttle enough to settle the bike back down onto two wheels, he spun it around and promptly listed it for sale.

Past Boats

Comment

Previous owner of an H2 as well - one of the original blue "full on" versions. They were de-tuned later. Bought it when it was a year old, and I was in my 20's (too stupid to know any better). Fresh out of the super car era. If that bike didn't scare you, it would kill you. WAY over the top, way faster than anything else available, and squirrely as hell. Rode mine for a couple of years and it ended up sitting as well.

With a very early version of oil injection, it was a great mosquito killer too as I remember. Nothing much in the way of decent oils available back then.....

Comment

I think the OP is looking for a boat not a bike. Listen to me Mr. Thread killer.

A Bass boat is for Bass fishing. Generally has only 2 seats, some 3. not a choice for anything but Bass and panfish fishing.

If I have learned anything about boats is that when you choose 1 it will always be too small and not enough H.P. soon therafter. A 16'boat is small for 3 people, then add all the stuff you bring with you, kids, cooler, dry cloths, the Dog etc. and a big tube.

As for Trackers they have a reputation for lack of fit and finish as well as not constructed very well. I am told things have changed. Based on the new Trackers I saw just last year at Bass Pro Shop things haven't changed at all. They are also referred to as Crackers. I would never recommend one. Caveat Emptor.
                                Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Working...
                                X