Brunswick temporarily suspending production due to coronavirus

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
And Hatteras....and GM....and Ford.....And Fiat....and... many companies are shutting down production for 30 days.

your choice if you want to cancel boating.

to me, cant get any more socially distant than on a boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
And Harley-Davidson too.

If the state says stay home, you stay home.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Will we ever recover from the financial fallout due to this thing we all face together? Shutting down any of the major manufactureres lines for minutes forget about days or weeks was the end of the World, just a few days ago. I worked where we kept track of down time by the minute not the hour.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Will we ever recover from the financial fallout due to this thing we all face together? Shutting down any of the major manufactureres lines for minutes forget about days or weeks was the end of the World, just a few days ago. I worked where we kept track of down time by the minute not the hour.

Maybe not in our lifetime! But we can hope and pray.

Fortunately, both of my sons are professional in critical areas. Both may be working harder, but at least they are working.

I spent 40 years on manufacturing lines responsible for increasing production thru eliminating downtime. NOT running 24/7/365 was not an option. My last gig before I retired was at 3M. Fortunately all my friends and old co-workers are doing fine, because they are part of the solution.

alldodge

Staff member
Am I going to have to cancel boating in Florida due to the Virus?

Guess this one I don't understand.
Go to your boat, with your family and go boating by your self

Haven't put mine in the water yet, but I still plan on boating by ourself, or with others waving at each other, trying to drown the bugs (internally and externally)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Maybe not in our lifetime! But we can hope and pray.

Fortunately, both of my sons are professional in critical areas. Both may be working harder, but at least they are working.

I spent 40 years on manufacturing lines responsible for increasing production thru eliminating downtime. NOT running 24/7/365 was not an option. My last gig before I retired was at 3M. Fortunately all my friends and old co-workers are doing fine, because they are part of the solution.

Yes Jim I understand about keeping production at 100% at all costs, more than 100% was better, 24/7/365. That philosophy has changed somewhat today. Only before I left did they shut down for 12 hours on Christmas day for maintenance and that in itself was a pain trying to get the furnaces started with frozen everything. My dear Nono (grand father in Italian) who lived on Payne Ave. near you always said if you want to have a job for life learn how to make something and learn how to sell something. It stands true today. Maintenance and repair of the things we make and sell is up there as well. Plumbers will always have work as long as water and other solids run downhill.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
BTW, in Florida, they are not stopping you from going boating, they are however telling you no social anchoring such as Beer Can Island, etc.

ahicks

Captain
And I didn't hear anything about them shutting down the Keys. It's the Florida beaches that were closed. Trying to chase the spring breakers back home.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yes Jim I understand about keeping production at 100% at all costs, more than 100% was better, 24/7/365. That philosophy has changed somewhat today. Only before I left did they shut down for 12 hours on Christmas day for maintenance and that in itself was a pain trying to get the furnaces started with frozen everything. My dear Nono (grand father in Italian) who lived on Payne Ave. near you always said if you want to have a job for life learn how to make something and learn how to sell something. It stands true today. Maintenance and repair of the things we make and sell is up there as well. Plumbers will always have work as long as water and other solids run downhill.

"My dear Nono (grand father in Italian) who lived on Payne Ave. near you always said if you want to have a job for life learn how to make something and learn how to sell something." How true.

When I left the USAF and headed to industry, I was in a new world, having never had that experience. I watched the guys who put money in your pay envelope and where they directed their attention. I had (earned) the capabilities to perform in that area and as soon as an opening occurred I jumped on it and life has never been the same.

I'm waiting on a new tstat and popoff currently. When I get them installed, I'll be back out. I go out during the week and it's interesting how many old pfarts like me do that and avoid the weekend mad house.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When I left the USAF and headed to industry, I was in a new world, having never had that experience. I watched the guys who put money in your pay envelope and where they directed their attention. I had (earned) the capabilities to perform in that area and as soon as an opening occurred I jumped on it and life has never been the same.

Retired Military, and kids that paid their own way to get an AAS degree (and didn't proceed to a BS because they now had a family), were the 2 classes of people that I was always eager to hire.

When I graduated from the University if a potential employer didn't offer free medical, a bonus plan and a paid pension, we looked elsewhere. Most of my contemporaries spent most of their careers in one place. Of course it was often a challenge. Promotions didn't happen overnight, nor were they every year. It was a constant upward movement, but you had to pay your dues.

The "kids" today don't think in terms of longevity and they want instant gratification. But then again, companies really don't want longevity either because they have to pay them too much to keep them. Its easier to hire a new "kid" and just train them.

I can't tell you how many times I tried to retain a good one, but the VP just would not make them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
I'm starting to think , the world's gone crazy, it's time to hit the water and forget about it all, that's the best remedy I can think of

ahicks

Captain
True that!!!
"I can't tell you how many times I tried to retain a good one, but the VP just would not make them an offer they couldn't refuse."

Sorry, way off topic.
I got my final revenge for years of this kind of thing going on when I retired/left the company after an especially bad day (a classic "take this job and shove it" kind of day!). The next day, during the "exit interview" after things had cooled a bit (company president in the office as well), he asked who do you see as your replacement? Still a little vengeful, I told him that would be the guy that left the company a month ago, because YOU wouldn't give him a raise! Revenge is so sweet!

You don't get to pull that move very often. Quitting, or stuffing a poor policy/bad habit up somebody's tush, with THEIR boss in attendance. Still smile thinking about the look on both their faces. -Al

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Yes, off topic and I apologize for my contributions. But at least we have all been civil and these days (at least here) the almost complete lockdown is making the internet our only livelihood.

I laughed again and again at the "final revenge" comments. It paralleled my last days. Although I gave retirement an 11 month notice, there was a poor succession plan. The kid didn't want the job and he couldn't handle it. In the end his replacement came in totally green.

I'm starting to think , the world's gone crazy, it's time to hit the water and forget about it all, that's the best remedy I can think of

Maybe time mentally, but not physically. The boat is garaged with the tank full, battery at 12.7, hull polished, fishing gear in place and tires at 50 psi. All I need is to connect the hitch and add beer and worms.

The problem is its a little too cold, even for me, and the launch ramp docks are still on the hard. The ramps are still full of Winter debris.

Our wonderful governor has said the only thing we can do is take a walk if we are solo and we must stay 6' away from others. I guess I could go up the creek with a fishpole. With the lack of ice this Winter I expect the Northers Pike are running early.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I was out yesterday. Windy so I chose a smaller lake. The parking lot was ⅔ full on a Tuesday. Lots of folks with their boats and on the bank out having fun, enjoying the spring weather....hit 70F. Camp sites were maybe ⅓ occupied. I checked out my latest updates, including no feedback tilt steering and yes siree, great. As I was leaving, half a dozen bass boats showed up....local tournament folks. Nobody said jack about anything else.

Correlating to the topic, seems life as usual, effect on new boat purchase......who knows......had some real pretty new ones to see.

alldodge

Staff member
KY/TN have closed all camp grounds and their boat ramps thru May 15. The marina ramps remain open

harringtondav

Commander
My pension check writer, Deere, is still operating. I believe most manufacturing and construction has an 'essential business' pass. Business shut downs are mandated by the States. ...mostly nonessential ones like bars, tattoo, hair dressers etc.

Others are voluntarily opting out and laying off due to low traffic, sales etc. The Brunswick thing is a personal bummer. I put a new boat on hold until my 401K recovers. I was hoping low toy sales would cause boat mfgs. to cut prices by the time I am ready to start haggling. That plan goes poof if the boat builders shut down until demand returns.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
All state parks some county parks and along with them there boat ramps, seems the sand bar gang was out of hand. The Keys are closed also. Just waiting for the guards to be stationed at the end of the cannel