Brunswick temporarily suspending production due to coronavirus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brunswick temporarily suspending production due to coronavirus

Am I going to have to cancel boating in Florida due to the Virus?
    Bring rain gear !

And Hatteras....and GM....and Ford.....And Fiat....and... many companies are shutting down production for 30 days.

your choice if you want to cancel boating.

to me, cant get any more socially distant than on a boat.

Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

And Harley-Davidson too.

If the state says stay home, you stay home.
      BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
      Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
      That is what the forums are for.
      Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Florida keys were just closed, too.

Comment

Will we ever recover from the financial fallout due to this thing we all face together? Shutting down any of the major manufactureres lines for minutes forget about days or weeks was the end of the World, just a few days ago. I worked where we kept track of down time by the minute not the hour.
          Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Ironmaker View Post
            Will we ever recover from the financial fallout due to this thing we all face together? Shutting down any of the major manufactureres lines for minutes forget about days or weeks was the end of the World, just a few days ago. I worked where we kept track of down time by the minute not the hour.
            Maybe not in our lifetime! But we can hope and pray.

Fortunately, both of my sons are professional in critical areas. Both may be working harder, but at least they are working.

I spent 40 years on manufacturing lines responsible for increasing production thru eliminating downtime. NOT running 24/7/365 was not an option. My last gig before I retired was at 3M. Fortunately all my friends and old co-workers are doing fine, because they are part of the solution.
            2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
            2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
            2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
            1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
            1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
            1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
            69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Originally posted by Prophammer View Post
              Am I going to have to cancel boating in Florida due to the Virus?
              Guess this one I don't understand.
              Go to your boat, with your family and go boating by your self

Haven't put mine in the water yet, but I still plan on boating by ourself, or with others waving at each other, trying to drown the bugs (internally and externally)
              94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
              95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
              07 Seadoo GTX
              Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
              G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Originally posted by JimS123 View Post

Maybe not in our lifetime! But we can hope and pray.

Fortunately, both of my sons are professional in critical areas. Both may be working harder, but at least they are working.

I spent 40 years on manufacturing lines responsible for increasing production thru eliminating downtime. NOT running 24/7/365 was not an option. My last gig before I retired was at 3M. Fortunately all my friends and old co-workers are doing fine, because they are part of the solution.
                Yes Jim I understand about keeping production at 100% at all costs, more than 100% was better, 24/7/365. That philosophy has changed somewhat today. Only before I left did they shut down for 12 hours on Christmas day for maintenance and that in itself was a pain trying to get the furnaces started with frozen everything. My dear Nono (grand father in Italian) who lived on Payne Ave. near you always said if you want to have a job for life learn how to make something and learn how to sell something. It stands true today. Maintenance and repair of the things we make and sell is up there as well. Plumbers will always have work as long as water and other solids run downhill.
                Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

BTW, in Florida, they are not stopping you from going boating, they are however telling you no social anchoring such as Beer Can Island, etc.
                  Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                  1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                  2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                  1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

And I didn't hear anything about them shutting down the Keys. It's the Florida beaches that were closed. Trying to chase the spring breakers back home.

Comment

Originally posted by ahicks View Post
                      And I didn't hear anything about them shutting down the Keys. It's the Florida beaches that were closed. Trying to chase the spring breakers back home.
                      One of many stories found by Googling "Florida Keys Closed". A south FL TV link about a 6PM Sunday closure, so effectively closed now - https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...close/2208488/

Comment

Originally posted by Old Ironmaker View Post

Yes Jim I understand about keeping production at 100% at all costs, more than 100% was better, 24/7/365. That philosophy has changed somewhat today. Only before I left did they shut down for 12 hours on Christmas day for maintenance and that in itself was a pain trying to get the furnaces started with frozen everything. My dear Nono (grand father in Italian) who lived on Payne Ave. near you always said if you want to have a job for life learn how to make something and learn how to sell something. It stands true today. Maintenance and repair of the things we make and sell is up there as well. Plumbers will always have work as long as water and other solids run downhill.
                        "My dear Nono (grand father in Italian) who lived on Payne Ave. near you always said if you want to have a job for life learn how to make something and learn how to sell something." How true.

When I left the USAF and headed to industry, I was in a new world, having never had that experience. I watched the guys who put money in your pay envelope and where they directed their attention. I had (earned) the capabilities to perform in that area and as soon as an opening occurred I jumped on it and life has never been the same.

I'm waiting on a new tstat and popoff currently. When I get them installed, I'll be back out. I go out during the week and it's interesting how many old pfarts like me do that and avoid the weekend mad house.
                        If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasmark View Post

When I left the USAF and headed to industry, I was in a new world, having never had that experience. I watched the guys who put money in your pay envelope and where they directed their attention. I had (earned) the capabilities to perform in that area and as soon as an opening occurred I jumped on it and life has never been the same.

Retired Military, and kids that paid their own way to get an AAS degree (and didn't proceed to a BS because they now had a family), were the 2 classes of people that I was always eager to hire.

When I graduated from the University if a potential employer didn't offer free medical, a bonus plan and a paid pension, we looked elsewhere. Most of my contemporaries spent most of their careers in one place. Of course it was often a challenge. Promotions didn't happen overnight, nor were they every year. It was a constant upward movement, but you had to pay your dues.

The "kids" today don't think in terms of longevity and they want instant gratification. But then again, companies really don't want longevity either because they have to pay them too much to keep them. Its easier to hire a new "kid" and just train them.

I can't tell you how many times I tried to retain a good one, but the VP just would not make them an offer they couldn't refuse.
                          2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
                          2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
                          2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
                          1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
                          1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
                          1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
                          69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

I'm starting to think , the world's gone crazy, it's time to hit the water and forget about it all, that's the best remedy I can think of
                            Bring rain gear !

Comment

True that!!!
                              "I can't tell you how many times I tried to retain a good one, but the VP just would not make them an offer they couldn't refuse."

Sorry, way off topic.
                              I got my final revenge for years of this kind of thing going on when I retired/left the company after an especially bad day (a classic "take this job and shove it" kind of day!). The next day, during the "exit interview" after things had cooled a bit (company president in the office as well), he asked who do you see as your replacement? Still a little vengeful, I told him that would be the guy that left the company a month ago, because YOU wouldn't give him a raise! Revenge is so sweet!

You don't get to pull that move very often. Quitting, or stuffing a poor policy/bad habit up somebody's tush, with THEIR boss in attendance. Still smile thinking about the look on both their faces. -Al

Comment

Working...
                              X