Indiana small lake dock question.

B Mann

Cadet
Muskrats will chew on foam blocks. If I were going floating dock I would go with the blue barrels or some sort of commercial product for flotation. Do folks in this area pull their docks to protect them from ice damage, or are you far enough south where that's not necessary?

Yep, there are muskrats around there. Didn't think about them. We do get a fair amount of ice. But in the last 10 years not enough to do any damage. Most leave them out on that lake.

It sounds like a floating dock is your answer. If there is ice, it may be smart to also look at ways to fortify the floating dock during the winter if it will not be lifted out of the water. Ice can lock around docks and do significant damage when the winds kick up and push the ice into the dock, tearing it away from shore. Some support cables to either side may help for the winter.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
A lot of grumpy DNR guys around here. We want to stay on the legal side. I was thinking digging into a yard was legal compared to filling in a wetland. I see people digging ponds in their yard all the time. I know a difference.

It's worth asking the local DNR or Water Conservation District guys if you can get a permit for digging. My experience has been that they try to be helpful if you play by their rules and ask permission first; they'll probably turn the idea down, but at least they'll know you're not trying to sneak something past them. Then you can learn the rules for building a floating dock and attaching it to land.