Keeping Boat Clean

graduc

Seaman Apprentice
Just brought Hurricane 187 SD I have been cleaning the seats with black spot and vinyl cleaner and finish with uv and vinyl protector. I put the cover back a week later the seats look as if they have never been cleaned what am I doing wrong

Thanks for looking

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Exactly what cleaner are you using?
Need something to kill the mold spores entrapped in the vinyl then seal the surface.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Use Spray 9. then Armor All. The seats in my 26 year StarCraft are white and they look almost new. I have had mold as well when she sat covered for months last year when I couldn't take it out.

roffey

Commander
my only problem with Armor all is, it makes the seats slippery. I use a 3M vinyl seat cleaner and protector but to he truthful I find the seats hard to keep clean

tpenfield

Staff member
I tend to use a mild bleach solution more than anything

altitude 411

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just brought Hurricane 187 SD I have been cleaning the seats with black spot and vinyl cleaner and finish with uv and vinyl protector. I put the cover back a week later the seats look as if they have never been cleaned what am I doing wrong

Thanks for looking

You unfortunately have mold IN your cushions (foam)... no amount of surface cleaning is going to remove your mold problem permanently. It is going to regrow over and over.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You probably don't have a prayer because once infected mold will continue to grow until the seats are replaced.

Clean it with Spray Nine, and then bleach it with Chlorox Cleanup, and then seal it with Lemon Pledge or Armor All. (Yeah, yeah, someone will say that's dumb but you should see the upholstery on my 35 year old boat)

Actually, in recent years I switched to 3m's Mguires seat protector on top. Its still makes it shine but not as sticky.

Truly your only hope is to get the boat into indoor storage, and then do all the above, and then get the entire boat and bilge perfectly 100% dry. Then cover the boat with a simple bedsheet to keep the dust and spiders out. Then be sure to dry it out after each use.

If storage isn't an option, plan on going thru the whole rigmarole every month or so.

graduc

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Dingbat
i have been using 303 multi surface cleaner, West marine black streak
remover and 303 uv protector
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions i will try several of your recommendations if
​​​​​ all fails i will take the worst seat to upholstery person and try
and get an opinion

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Curious as to whether anyone has used Oxyclean on this type of mold. I am asking because I recently saw something that said Oxyclean in solution was better for mold on porous surfaces (e.g., painted surfaces) than bleach (although bleach is superior on hard, non-porous surfaces). Just wondering if anyone has tried it?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hi Dingbat
i have been using 303 multi surface cleaner, West marine black streak
remover and 303 uv protector
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions i will try several of your recommendations if
​​​​​ all fails i will take the worst seat to upholstery person and try
and get an opinion

Multi Surface cleaner is industry lingo for cleans nothing very well...

I'd recommend going at it with something with bleach in the formulation to kill the spores then use a vinyl protection of your choice.

Can't recommend a vinyl protection since I don't use the stuff. The hardtop protects the helm cushions from the sun. The remaining cushions are removable but hardly ever used. Use is limited to evening brew cruises and vanity tours...lol

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I've used 303 multi cleaner when I was sent a box of their product to test. The company does or did sponsor this exact forum, can't remember the name Eagle something?. The 303 multi was about as good as Fantastic which isn't as good as Spray 9. Spray 9 will actually take water based paint off a wall, ask me how I know. Armor All will make vinyl and fake leather slippery for a short period of time I agree but not forever. I have been using that combination, Spray-9 and Armor All for over 40 years with great success on all my vehicles. I made an error once and tried a new vinyl product and got a huge crack on the dash of my Benz a few days latter, lesson learned at a huge cost. Stick with what you know works.

My fishing guys make fun of me because when we do head out on the water trolling rather than stare at my electronics I will detail the interior of the boat. I have been known to take my dust buster vacuum on board as a joke. Keep ahead of the cleaning and it isn't a chore. Bleach would be what I would use if I had deep mold under the vinyl.

altitude 411

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am an upholsterer. It doesn't matter what potion ( 303,Spray 9, Oxyclean ... snake oil , doesn't care) that you apply to the vinyl. the mold spores are in the seat foam/upholstery foam. it IS going to grow again and again until you replace the foam and vinyl..

Last edited:

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Been there and done that and did it well.If you can remove the seats or if you have a cockpit you can hose down then do this.Saturate all thread/seams with garden hose.Mix 50/50 solution of bleach and water.Avoid any fancy pants bleach,just use plain old bleach.using spray bottle apply directly to moldy area and try to avoid the thread/seams if you can .not the end of the world if you get on the thread/seams,just rinse seams within 30 seconds if you do.Leave solution on the moldy area for just over a minute and rinse.Repeat as many times as it takes to reduce/kill the mold.For a stubborn area you can take something absorbent like a face cloth .Saturate face cloth with the bleach solution and wipe directly on to the stubborn area and wait approx 1 minute and rinse.If really stubborn then hold the saturated face cloth directly on the area for 1 minute and rinse.This WILL work.If you have marine vinyl or Naugahyde the bleach solution will have no affect on it.This I am sure of even though we have members here that are very quick to tell you what NOT to use even though they have no experience in that area or with that product at all.When all mold is gone and seats are dry get some formula 303 which looks just like armorall.Pour a generous amount on a piece of tupperware or a bowl and grab a mgic eraser.Saturate and lightly wipe everything down .Keep rinsing and wringing out the eraser in you bowl of 303.The 303 will start to get a little dirty which wont matter because then next step is to wipe with dry face cloth which will remove the dirty 303 but will leave a proctective UV barrier on the seats and threads. Post back your results . Charlie

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I wonder if you can inject 100% bleach with a needle into the foam of the seats to kill the mold where it lives and festers. Seal the injection sites with a micro dab of superglue.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I wonder if you can inject 100% bleach with a needle into the foam of the seats to kill the mold where it lives and festers.
Straight household bleach is something like 3 to 4 percent by volume and it dissolves stuff rather quickly. 100% would eat a cushion on contact

graduc

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks again for your comments i have learned a lot from you guys