1977 Carver santa Cruz 28' rudder question

Helpmetomcruise

Seaman Apprentice
So I've got a 1977 Carver Santa Cruz 28 ft and I'm trying to find out how much it will cost to replace the rudder and shaft it became bent

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How did it get bent? Might be more than just a post and rudder. Where is the boat and is it moored or on land?

Helpmetomcruise

Seaman Apprentice
It's currently sitting on a trailer in my yard it got bent when the packing boxes failed due to age and we had to scramble to get it out of the water on a homemade trailer that didn't have a third axle in place under the back of the boat and as such wound up dragging the back of the trailer frame as well as prop and rudder up the boat ramp about 25 feet. Have since added the needed third axle and now the whole thing rides level with plenty of clearance but damage has been done. However no damage seems to have been done to prop strut or wood/fiberglass structure around rudder shaft box.

Helpmetomcruise

Seaman Apprentice
How did it get bent? Might be more than just a post and rudder. Where is the boat and is it moored or on land?
It got bent when it got drug up the boat ramp coming out of the water. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I did not see yours until now. The prop blade got ground down about an inch and a half and the rudder shaft got bent a little outside the hull There's no damage to the packing box or fiberglass around it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
call a prop shop for prices on the shaft and strut
ask them about a rudder, however you might find one used
then you have the job of installing and aligning

My guess, a bit over $5k total