1st time boat owner, looking for info

Well I made, probably an unwise, purchase. I picked up a 1987 Reinell cuddy cabin (title says 19 ft), in the dead of winter in the midwest. It was winterized, so I didnt attempt to start it, but did a compression test on the 350. The interior is clean, it came with nice bimini and cover, and the trailer is pretty nice as well. What I cannot seem to find is any sort of owners manual for this specific boat or any means of telling if I got ripped off or not (suggested values, kbb, etc) Upon getting the boat home I've noticed some things such as a soft spot under the starboard rear seat next to the motor cover, a hull repair next to the winch point on the bow, a poorly repaired void below the transom, some jb welded areas on what I believe to be a hydraulic steering unit (not the rams, but the unit that seems to provide fluid or pressure to them). So I have lots and lots of questions. Including motor and outdrive questions. I am new to the forums, so I apologize if this thread is posted in the wrong area. It would be nice if someone could advise me on the appropriate forum to post a (long and ever increasing) series of questions encompassing the whole boat. I appreciate your guidance in advance, and thank you for having me on the forums!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
An insurance company might want a proper marine survey.-----That would tell you what you might have.----But to me what you have mentioned does sound like the boat is a questionable investment.----Hopefully you did not pay more than $1500 for it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Google pics of a 1987 19' Reinell cuddy. That should tell you which model you have.
Google NADA boat values. For 1987 they sold three 19 footers. Go thru the pages and check options, etc. to get the price. From my 30 second search looks like about $2800, but I had limited data.

Most entry level boat companies provided no useful owner' manuals. But if you google Mercury Marine (or whatever you have) you can download a manual for the 350.

Most 33 year old boats have rotten innards, as you have found. Check out the restoration forum to get an idea of what repairs are like.

An insurance company might want a proper marine survey.-----That would tell you what you might have.----But to me what you have mentioned does sound like the boat is a questionable investment.----Hopefully you did not pay more than $1500 for it.

Im not sure we have anything like that around here, I live in a pretty remote area, our nearest city is roughly 2 hours away. I did pay more than 1500, but Im very confident that the trailer and motor are worth more than that alone (Im a chevy guy). Not to mention the OMC cobra outdrive looks to be in pretty good shape, no pitting, chips signs of impacts. Etc. How did you base you price? I should probably upload a few pictures...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
OMC has been out of business for about 30 years. Cobra parts are almost non-existent.

[No message]

Attachments

• photo325125.jpg
    photo325125.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo325126.jpg
    photo325126.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo325127.jpg
    photo325127.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo325128.jpg
    photo325128.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo325129.jpg
    photo325129.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 2
Google pics of a 1987 19' Reinell cuddy. That should tell you which model you have.
Google NADA boat values. For 1987 they sold three 19 footers. Go thru the pages and check options, etc. to get the price. From my 30 second search looks like about $2800, but I had limited data.

Most entry level boat companies provided no useful owner' manuals. But if you google Mercury Marine (or whatever you have) you can download a manual for the 350.

Most 33 year old boats have rotten innards, as you have found. Check out the restoration forum to get an idea of what repairs are like.

Thank you for your response, I actually did a lot of researching on google, which led me here. I reviewed the title since my first post, and have found that the boat is actually an 89'. Which is a bit weird as the craigslist ad read 1987, but ill take 2 years newer. The best and closest i have found, indicates that the model is a 192m, but im hoping for confirmation of that.
i guess Im not surprised to learn that the owners manual is non existent, i was sure hopeful that someone here may have the same boat. As far as restoration threads go, i only found one that is close, and was never completed. But im confident that I know what to expect as far as replacing a couple stringer and patching in the floor. Im sure I can look forward to a transome replacement in the future as well, although it does seem pretty solid.

roffey

Commander
You might want to just use the boat before trying to restore it. You might find this boat is not what you need or want? You mentioned a few things in your first post, soft spots and OMC. You'll find parts for the OMC are difficult to find. Once you start digging into the soft spots it may be more than what you want to fix or likely pay for.

My best advice is enjoy it and don't put much money into it until you decide if this is the boat you want or if its just a starter boat to get your feet wet so to speak, hopefully not literally. Boats are not like cars that go up in value when restored.

You might want to just use the boat before trying to restore it. You might find this boat is not what you need or want? You mentioned a few things in your first post, soft spots and OMC. You'll find parts for the OMC are difficult to find. Once you start digging into the soft spots it may be more than what you want to fix or likely pay for.

My best advice is enjoy it and don't put much money into it until you decide if this is the boat you want or if its just a starter boat to get your feet wet so to speak, hopefully not literally. Boats are not like cars that go up in value when restored.

This is absolutely a starter boat, and it is absolutely not what i want in the long run. It was really just what i think was a good deal and something I can make a few bucks on and play with for the early spring season' when the fishing is best. My dream is to have a decent fishing platform that I can spend a weekend or possibly a week on, maybe even make it to the Bahamas on from the vacation home in Central Florida. The problem is Im stuck in the midwest indefinitely, and a boat that big is pretty impractical for the Missouri River. So the long-term plan was to find something I could play on and fix up and possibly flip for a small profit. If i can use the funds invested in this boat to start work on a larger trawler or motor cruiser, maybe over the course of a few years, i should be able to find a cheap if not free boat to refit or rebuild. I do have a conscience though and I wouldn't feel right if I pass this boat onto an unsuspecting victim. Being as I have more time than money, I feel like I could reasonably rebuild the boat structurally at least. I understand the process of rebuilding the floor, i don't deny that is a lot of work. But if I have to get into rebuilding an outdated and rare lower unit, I think ill be getting the shaft, or at least working double time for minimal profits. Being as it gets pretty dang hot and muggy here in the midsummer, with the only retreat being the air conditioning or the river, i feel like my odds are pretty good for turning a small profit (if I can get 3500 for it, ill be doing ok). Sooo, as you say, i will just have to wait and run it, see how worthy she is, and go from there. In the meantime my intention is to learn as much as i can about her, and prepare for whats to come. If worse comes to worse, i will part her out to recover the initial investment, and go back to the drawing board.

roffey

Commander
I need some suggestions I have a great passion for sailing but I don't have any knowledge about the boat, By profession, I am a database administrator at online shopping codes so anyone here please send me suggestions about this. Your suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

Are you serious? This post has nothing to do with the OP and is clearly spam....

roffey

Commander
If worse comes to worse, i will part her out to recover the initial investment, and go back to the drawing board.

Great to hear, most time on this from when someone post they have purchased a older boat its a dog pile from some of the members telling you how bad your boat is. I think as long as you don't have blinders on you'll do OK.

From what I read, if you do run into trouble with the motor and outdrive your further ahead to get a donner motor and drive and just replace it, but you sound like you have a plan.